The Game Plan

ibleedgreen1990

Man, what a disappointing season we had. Carson regressed to basically the worst qb in the league, ravaged by injuries yet again, and got to watch two wrs we passed on just become studs and also watched the wrs we passed on them for just not meet expectation at all. This season was a failure. We need a ton of changes in my opinion. It starts with the front office.

Joe Banner has recently reported that he doesnt believe that Lurie has even considered firing Howie. I think that there is a terrible truth to this. Terrible because I want him gone lol. I do think he gets swept to the side. Witnessing first hand the success of players like Chinn, Metcalf, and Jefferson when guys told you to take them and Howie just went ahead and took other players.. this will force Lurie to make a change. Power of the draft and player evaluation goes to the recently hired John Dorsey. I dont think we have a huge turnover in the scouting department. They locked on to good players (according to reports) last year, just need a new guy pulling the trigger.

GM - John Dorsey

Howie will stay and continue to do contracts. This is not my ideal result.. based on the reports coming out I believe this is the most likely outcome for Howie.

Jim Schwartz.. we hire him back.. just to be able to fire him! lol I dont like this coordinator at all, havent for years. Quote whatever playoff stats or season stats you want. This guy just doesnt have it. His defensive game plans are way more often miss than hit and when they do hit, the other team adjusts at half time and then he makes no adjustments himself. 

We need an aggressive D coordinator. Forget bend but dont break. Teams move up and down the field on us too easily. This d line, which weve invested a ton of money is, is weak. This scheme is supposed to "let them loose", but it makes them predictable. Allows the offense to dictate a lot more than they should just based around the fact they know we are just going to rush, no wild stunts or any wild blitzes on the regular. I could go on forever. 

Lets get someone who has experienced first hand what works and what doesnt. Someone who knows right off the bat that you need to game plan around your players and not always force players to execute a scheme you have. He spent some time on the staff in San Francisco earning his stripes as a coach. We give him the promotion and bring him home. New d coordinator is DeMeco Ryans.

DC - DeMeco Ryans

Our offense has been all over the place. Flashes of "oh yeah here we go, were back!" and then later that same game its "wtf doug, wtf howie, this is terrible". The last cowboys game is a perfect example. Hurts comes out killin it, long bomb to Djax. Then flat. Nothing. Its hard to tell if its the play calls or the execution. Both qbs are trash when they have to sit in the pocket and dot the defense up. Our wrs get little to no separation at all. We need someone with enough experience to bump heads with guys that do stupid stuff. We need someone to tell Staley to stop taking Sanders out. We need someone to tell Doug that it is completely retarded to not take the points and go for it on 4th down when its 0-0 in the first quarter. I think Pep Hamilton has done some good stuff with that young qb the Chargers have. I think his over ten years of Nfl coaching experience combined with recent success shows he can help us out. 

OC - Pep Hamilton

Every coach with "QB" next to their name needs to be shown the door. The regression of Wentz is on them in a large part to me. They have to power to both assure Wentz they have his back and he is the guy and also beat good mechanics and a quick release game plan into his ginger noggin. We need someone in his ear that Carson not only wants to be around but someone that will give it to him straight. Someone that he knows has his back. We bring in Josh McCown to be the QB coach. He nas no NFL coaching experience but has been one of those "coaches on the field" for a long time. Hes an NFL journeyman that has never been great anywhere but has stuck around for a long time. You dont do that without good technique and consistent play. These are things we need instilled in our qbs. 

QB Coach - Josh McCown

What to do with Carson.. We keep him. Enough said. His contract is huge and his value is as low as its ever been. Yes, we need to clear cap space but we need to also make educated decisions (to the best of our ability) about it. Carson has been good for us, for this coaching staff, and has done it recently. Combine this with the fact we would have to eat a huge part of his contract and likely net something minimal in return, its just not worth it. A QB competition is very likely and the conversation needs to be had before the offseason that he done messed up to hopefully light a fire under him.. but we keep him.

Carson Wentz - Stays

Now for good ol Doug. I like a lot of things about him. I like that his players play really hard for him, players buy into his culture and want to be here, he is not afraid to be aggressive, and he used to be a player so he has that perspective. I wish we all knew the dynamic a little better to know how much of this season is his fault exactly. He makes enough mistakes, questionable decisions, and horrible game plans to have us at least ask this question and consider replacing him. I think he will stay. Especially since we are keeping Wentz, it doesnt benefit him to give him a whole new coach and what comes with that to learn and deal with in addition to getting himself right. The more focus we can give him on righting himself, the likelihood he comes back in 2017 form is greater. We give Doug a better supporting coaching cast and some people in his ear.

Doug Pederson - Stays

Offseason:

Some good guys going into FA this year, and we arent gonna get any of them. We need to free up as much room as possible. We have a couple guys on our own team we need to keep around as well. I think a lot of our players that are Philly lifers will step up and help us get out of this situation. Another that wants to retire as an Eagle and is coming off injury. 

Restructure:

Brandin Brooks, Brandon Graham, Fletcher Cox, Jason Kelce (1 year deal with a huge signing bonus and ton of incentives. Really low base salary)

Retire:

Jason Peters

Extend:

Derek Barentt - His annual will be like 10 mil next year on his option. I think we can get him for cheaper than that on a contract. Howie loves to back load contracts and that would actually help us this year.

Cuts/Gone:

Alshon Jeffery, Desean Jackson, Robey-Coleman, LeBlanc, Mills, Clement, Sudfeld

Re-Sign/Keep Around:

Travis Fulgham, Greg Ward, Richard Rodgers, Alex Singleton, Johnston, Scott, Howard

Trades:

Tried to keep it to a minimum here because value is hard to project and thats an easy way for a mock to become madden like. So I went with whatever value I thought, minus one round. 

Malik Jackson and our 7th to the Raiders for their 6th - Contract dump. This guy gets way too emotional and get penalties IMO. A few splash plays here and there but did not step up when Cox went out and we needed him vs the Cowboys

Javon Hargrave to the Seahawks for a 4th - Seahawks are notorious for trading future picks for "proven" players, especially on d-line. This is also a contract dump. We never should have invested this much cap into D tackle in the first place and when him and Jackson underperformed it amplified it. Some will say this is too much dumping of D tackles but we can get a younger guy with a smaller contract to fill the roles of these two and likely get similar if not better production. 

Zach Ertz and our a 5th for a 3rd to the Panthers - Panthers need a supporting cast for either Bridgewater or whoever they draft at qb. 

Draft:

Needs going into the draft - a true #1 wr, CB, LB, S, DT (in no particular order)

Given that we re-signed Rodgers we have some flexibility. It is also worth it to mention that a couple times this year the Eagles have designated a practice squad protection to Hakeem Butler. T

Our O-line is very underrated. We have guys all over that can play all over and some All Pro players coming back. I would like to see an open competition at LT with the loser being the back up, we are set there IMO. LG was solid as well. When Seumalo was out we held up well here. C is a big question. Kelce had some bad moments this last season and he isnt getting younger. This is likely his last year. We have no clear back-up here. Whoever ewe get will have a year to learn and then step up as the guy next year. RG is decent but we could use more depth here. Not a huge need with Brooks coming back though, not enough to spend a top three pick on a guard IMO. RT is solid as well. We have johnson coming back with good depth under him that is getting playing experience.

I will also do the picks up to and between our trade just to show you who is taken. A lot of "this player is likely to be done" is done and this just helps with that. Though I could totally be wrong..

If the draft were to end today:

Shout out to Ray75, stealing your trade scenario (kinda)

The qb the Patriots fell for falls to us and our guy is off the board in Chase. We trade our 1st to the Patriots for their 1st and 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

Jags: Trevor Lawrence

Jets: Penei Sewell

Dolphins (HOU): Micah Parsons

Falcons: Justin Fields

Bengals: Ja'Marr Chase

Patriots(PHI): Zach Wilson

Lions: Devonta Smith

Giants: Kwity Paye

Panthers: Patrick Surtain

Broncos: Trey Lance

Cowboys: Caleb Farley

Chargers: Alijah Vera-Tucker

Vikings: Rashawn Slater

1. Eagles(NE): Jaylen Waddle - WR1 - My favorite wr in the draft. Reminds me of a fast Antonio Brown. Creates good separation through great route running and also has the speed to burn guys flat out. 

2. Dylan Moses - LB - Will he be there? I think so. we pick high enough and guys like Nick Bolton and Zaven Collins will be risers and cause Moses to slip out of the first to to the depth.

2. Jaylen Twyman - DT -This is my favorite lineman coming into the draft. Should be available mid second

3. Andre Cisco - S - Likely to slip a bit due to injuries coming into the draft

3. Israel Mukuamu - CB - A cb that is 6'3" and has ball skills. Very likely starts opposite slay and pushes Maddox to the slot

4. Alec Lindstrom - C - Guy to groom under Kelce for a year and will step up next year

5. Cade Mays  - OG - Interior lineman competition and depth

6. Isiah Palo-Mao - S - Decent safety with good blood line. Related to Troy Palomalu. We take a flier on him as we do need safety help as well.

6. Roger McCreary - CB - Corner competition. Another corner listed at 6'! no way!

6. Joshua Kaindoh - DE - He is like Josh Sweat 2.0. And I like me some Josh Sweat

We have a competition at QB and LT. Best man wins and loser is a solid back-up. If Wentz loses fair and square during training camp I think we put him on display during pre season and hopefully show hes improved, then trade him to a qb needy team kinda like we did with Bradford. 

• Like 1

Great read, great draft! See that trade down steal as a huge compliment! Like everything about the draft. Only worry I have is addressing the CB position that late. Personally I think it’s our biggest need and I’ll definitely do a mock in with we take either Surtain or Farley in the top 10. Problem I have with that is that I’m still not convinced those kids are worthy of the 5th or 6th overall pick. I compare Surtain to the likes of Marlon Humphrey and Byron Jones. Both solid corners with plus size, speed and athletism but not elite IMO. Farley is a mystery. Opted out this year but if you put on the 2019 tape, you see a corner with elite skills in the vein of Marshon Lattimore. But hey, maybe we win sunday and pick at/around 9th overall. I’d be much more comfortable picking either of them there.

Keep up the good job!

• Like 1

Agreed.  Well thought out, and covers a lot of needs.  The only thing I disagree with is trading Javon Hargrave.  I would strengthen DE and then Cox and Hargrave can cause chaos.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Great read, great draft! See that trade down steal as a huge compliment! Like everything about the draft. Only worry I have is addressing the CB position that late. Personally I think it’s our biggest need and I’ll definitely do a mock in with we take either Surtain or Farley in the top 10. Problem I have with that is that I’m still not convinced those kids are worthy of the 5th or 6th overall pick. I compare Surtain to the likes of Marlon Humphrey and Byron Jones. Both solid corners with plus size, speed and athletism but not elite IMO. Farley is a mystery. Opted out this year but if you put on the 2019 tape, you see a corner with elite skills in the vein of Marshon Lattimore. But hey, maybe we win sunday and pick at/around 9th overall. I’d be much more comfortable picking either of them there.

Keep up the good job!

Appreciate it. Definitely see what you mean about the need at corner. Wouldn’t be mad at surtain or even Farley depending on a trade back.

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Agreed.  Well thought out, and covers a lot of needs.  The only thing I disagree with is trading Javon Hargrave.  I would strengthen DE and then Cox and Hargrave can cause chaos.

I was a little reluctant to move in from him too. Especially with going into a new scheme, he might end up producing for us. Could definitely see the argument for keeping him.