Eagles DC Jim Schwartz won't return in 2021, as he contemplates retirement

Road to Victory

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/02/philadelphia-eagles-dc-jim-schwartz-retirment/
Eagles DC Jim Schwartz won't return in 2021, as he contemplates retirement

Glenn Erby 

January 2, 2021 12:24 pm

The Philadelphia Eagles have some looming personnel decisions to make but the defensive coordinator won’t be one of them, as Jim Schwartz is contemplating retirement.

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL.com, the Eagles defensive coordinator will take a year off as he contemplates retirement.

Pelissero is reporting that Schwartz will allow his contract to expire after Sunday’s season finale against Washington and take a year off from coaching.

The Eagles (4-10-1) were eliminated from playoff contention with last week’s loss at Dallas and Schwartz has been under fire at times for the defense’s performance against the run and inability to deal with talented tight ends.

Schwartz was the Lions’ head coach from 2009-2013, compiling a 29-51 record with one playoff trip in 2011.

Schwartz got his start in the NFL doing research for Bill Belichick on the Cleveland Browns staff in the mid-1990s.

He then served as the Tennessee Titans’ defensive coordinator from 2001–2008.

His Eagles defenses were solid and he took a unit that was ranked 30th before his arrival, and turned them into a Super Bowl-caliber unit, ranking 13th in his first season and fourth during his second.

I think as Eagles fans we should thank Schwartz for the work he did here. It wasn't always pretty but overall I think he got more out of the defense than the talent he was working with. He has his faults and his scheme has its issues but I think overall he was a good DC.

• Like 1

I don’t believe for a second he will retire.  That "contemplating retirement” is nothing more than a nice way to avoid questions about a potential return (possibly questions from within the organization ... who knows just because he wasn’t extended doesn’t mean they didn’t approach him with an offer and he simply wants out).  Working with Doug and Howie, can’t say I’d blame him.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don’t believe for a second he will retire.  That "contemplating retirement” is nothing more than a nice way to avoid questions about a potential return (possibly questions from within the organization ... who knows just because he wasn’t extended doesn’t mean they didn’t approach him with an offer and he simply wants out).  Working with Doug and Howie, can’t say I’d blame him.  

Agreed here (unless it is a health related decision). I think it's a way for Schwartz to move on and save face. He's done a good job for this organisation so they have agreed that it would be best for both parties to go their separate ways and there's no need to have the embarrassment of being fired.

14 hours ago, time2rock said:

Rumor after the 2019 season was the Eagles FO had high hopes Jim would get a HC gig in Cleveland so they would not have to fire him. I really dont think they wanted him back and gave him the year to run out his contract. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed here (unless it is a health related decision). I think it's a way for Schwartz to move on and save face. He's done a good job for this organisation so they have agreed that it would be best for both parties to go their separate ways and there's no need to have the embarrassment of being fired.

Looking back on it, did he really do a good job for the Eagles? I’m not a huge Schwartz guy so I might be a little biased but in the biggest game of his career his defense got absolutely torched by Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola. Yes, Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola, two journeyman guys. We’re not talking about Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Brady had over 500 yards and they had 3 receivers with over 100 yards. The Eagles won the Super Bowl in spite of the job Schwartz did. 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Looking back on it, did he really do a good job for the Eagles? I’m not a huge Schwartz guy so I might be a little biased but in the biggest game of his career his defense got absolutely torched by Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola. Yes, Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola, two journeyman guys. We’re not talking about Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Brady had over 500 yards and they had 3 receivers with over 100 yards. The Eagles won the Super Bowl in spite of the job Schwartz did. 

Who was the QB throwing to them? What other weapons did they have out on the field? How did his defense fare against Atlanta in the play offs? And against Minnesota in the next game?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Who was the QB throwing to them? What other weapons did they have out on the field? How did his defense fare against Atlanta in the play offs? And against Minnesota in the next game?

I’ll give him that. He pulls a rabbit out of a hat once in a while. Can’t give him too much credit for doing a good job against Minnesota with Case Keenum at QB. I mean he’s a backup at best. 

As for the Super Bowl, Brady had 505 yards and lost his best WR (Cooks) early in the game. Again, Hogan & Amandola were the WR’s. There’s no way Brady should have his best game ever with those two. 

10 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I’ll give him that. He pulls a rabbit out of a hat once in a while. Can’t give him too much credit for doing a good job against Minnesota with Case Keenum at QB. I mean he’s a backup at best. 

Case Keenum was having a really good year and at the time that was a really good offense.

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Case Keenum was having a really good year and at the time that was a really good offense.

Yeah, but in the end he showed you what he really was. 

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, but in the end he showed you what he really was. 

I guess so yeah... But at the time he was playing at a really high level and this defense stuffed him. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I guess so yeah... But at the time he was playing at a really high level and this defense stuffed him. 

This is how bad Schwartz is. Just watch the Giants-Cowboys now. Dallas can barely move the ball. We couldn’t stop Dallas last week. It’s like night and day. 

Doesn't matter who they bring in at DC until they upgrade some talent or figure out the ridiculous amount of injuries this team suffers.

Every DC has his idiosyncrasies.  Schwartz did a good job with the injuries he had to compensate for and the lack of LB and S talent.  

But I also believe that, every now and then, a fresh perspective is needed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Schwartz saw it coming and bailed before the change. Good move by him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Agreed! He saw that this is a sinking ship and he got out before it got really ugly. 

On 1/2/2021 at 10:48 PM, time2rock said:

On 1/4/2021 at 4:05 PM, birdman#12 said:

Doesn't matter who they bring in at DC until they upgrade some talent or figure out the ridiculous amount of injuries this team suffers.

Every DC has his idiosyncrasies.  Schwartz did a good job with the injuries he had to compensate for and the lack of LB and S talent.  

But I also believe that, every now and then, a fresh perspective is needed. 

17 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed! He saw that this is a sinking ship and he got out before it got really ugly. 

Schwartz did a great job here, but he’s probably sick of having his reputation tarnished by the rubbish he has been given to work with in every position apart from the D-Line.

I believe it was his choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz did a great job here, but he’s probably sick of having his reputation tarnished by the rubbish he has been given to work with in every position apart from the D-Line.

I believe it was his choice.

I mean look i guess we don't know. His contract was up and so there was no need to fire him if that was even their intention.