3 takeaways from the news Eagles DC Jim Schwartz won't return in 2021

Road to Victory

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/jim-schwartz-wont-return-eagles-defensive-coordinator-takeaways-reactions/

3 takeaways from the news Eagles DC Jim Schwartz won't return in 2021

Glenn Erby 

January 2, 2021 1:08 pm

The Philadelphia Eagles will have a new defensive coordinator in 2021 with the news that Jim Schwartz will step away next season to evaluate his future. 

Schwartz was the Lions’ head coach from 2009-2013, compiling a 29-51 record with one playoff trip in 2011.

Here are three takeaways from the news: 

Schwartz is likely dealing with burnout

Schwartz previously took a year off in 2015 in between leaving the Bills and taking the Eagles jobs.

Philadelphia’s defense has health with injury and attrition since the 2017 Super Bowl and this season, Schwartz has been forced to deal with serious injuries in the secondary and especially at the cornerback position. 

After starting out under Bill Belichick, Schwartz eventually was named linebackers coach and defensive coordinator for Tennessee Titans from 1999-2008, before landing the Detroit Lions head coaching job from 2009-2013. 

Schwartz served as the Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator in 2014, before taking a year off and joining the Eagles.

Doug Pederson hinted at the move

The Eagles head coach referenced Schwartz during his final zoom presser of the regular season on Friday, going in-depth about their relationship. 

"I’ll tell you, our relationship has evolved tremendously,” Pederson said Friday. "I think we’ve been more on the same page over the years, me just getting to know him each year and understanding him as a coach and a coordinator. Obviously, his defenses historically have been top defenses in the National Football League. Of course, when guys are healthy and all of that.”

Eagles defense will have a new look

Schwartz employed a Wide-9 front that focused on the pass rush and pressure up front, but his linebacker units and secondary struggled to maintain that pressure on the backend. 

The next defensive coordinator could be asked to focus more on producing turnovers and big plays, getting away from the bend, and don’t break scheme while focusing more on dictating the pace to opposing offenses. 

Defensive line coach Matt Burke could be an option after previously having that role with the Dolphins, while Marquand Manuel has coordinator experience as well.

17 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

The next defensive coordinator could be asked to focus more on producing turnovers and big plays, getting away from the bend, and don’t break scheme while focusing more on dictating the pace to opposing offenses. 

Defensive line coach Matt Burke could be an option after previously having that role with the Dolphins, while Marquand Manuel has coordinator experience as well.

If they hand the reigns to Burke (and look that could work out) then I doubt there will be much of a change in emphasis. Burke will likely stick with what Schwartz has done as that's what he knows. 

Promoting from within here isn't the answer. I think they need a fresh set of eyes on this D. Someone who can recognise the issues on this D and try to give those particular areas more help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If they hand the reigns to Burke (and look that could work out) then I doubt there will be much of a change in emphasis. Burke will likely stick with what Schwartz has done as that's what he knows. 

Promoting from within here isn't the answer. I think they need a fresh set of eyes on this D. Someone who can recognise the issues on this D and try to give those particular areas more help. 

I really don't have much faith in Howie and Doug to make the right hire.  Their recent track record is poor.  Promoting Groh to OC?  Hiring Walch as WR coach?  Taylor QB coach?  The whole "offense by committee" structure they installed last year ... that seems like a major fail.  Their best staff (under Doug) was their initial staff when they had proven, experienced coaches at critical positions (like OC, QB coach, DC, etc.).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I really don't have much faith in Howie and Doug to make the right hire.  Their recent track record is poor.  Promoting Groh to OC?  Hiring Walch as WR coach?  Taylor QB coach?  The whole "offense by committee" structure they installed last year ... that seems like a major fail.  Their best staff (under Doug) was their initial staff when they had proven, experienced coaches at critical positions (like OC, QB coach, DC, etc.).

I don't think Doug made those hires last year though. But I do agree that he promoted Groh and he likely picked some of the previous coaches and they didn't work out either. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah, Burke is a wide 9 guy which he learned from Schwartz. I’m tired of the wide 9 and would love to go back to a Jim Johnson type approach where we apply pressure from everywhere. I don’t want the QB feeling comfortable back there. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, Burke is a wide 9 guy which he learned from Schwartz. I’m tired of the wide 9 and would love to go back to a Jim Johnson type approach where we apply pressure from everywhere. I don’t want the QB feeling comfortable back there. 

How many teams had more sacks than we did this year? I thought our pass rush was about the only thing that wasn't broken on this team. 

1 hour ago, wyote said:

How many teams had more sacks than we did this year? I thought our pass rush was about the only thing that wasn't broken on this team. 

How many teams allowed more 40+ yard plays than we did this year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyote said:

Sure, we get sack numbers but the defense is feast or famine. If we don’t get to the QB, a guy like Andy Dalton takes the defense apart. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Sure, we get sack numbers but the defense is feast or famine. If we don’t get to the QB, a guy like Andy Dalton takes the defense apart. 

That's a different point. You wrote as if QBs have been comfortable in the pocket against Schwartz's defense this year. But whatever the problems were, it wasn't that. 

6 hours ago, Perforator said:

Maybe that's due to talent, scheme, or both, but it doesn't appear to be the result of QBs being more comfortable in the pocket than they are against other defenses.  

14 minutes ago, wyote said:

That's a different point. You wrote as if QBs have been comfortable in the pocket against Schwartz's defense this year. But whatever the problems were, it wasn't that. 

Maybe that's due to talent, scheme, or both, but it doesn't appear to be the result of QBs being more comfortable in the pocket than they are against other defenses.  

Dalton looked pretty comfortable. He was 22-30 for 377 yards and he’s about as average and immobile as QB’s get.

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Dalton looked pretty comfortable. He was 22-30 for 377 yards and he’s about as average and immobile as QB’s get.

There's always one game. 

It's not so much scheme as talent that bothers me. Wide 9, 3-4, 4-3, I don't really care.

If I never see another quick out that picks up 11 yards on our defense again, it'll be too soon. I hate the bend-don't-break attitude this team has had since JJ. Alex Singleton is the kind of player we need more of. Guy nearly prevented a TD against a wideout, kept up with him step for step. How many times has this defense had linebackers able to do that??? It was a breath of fresh air.

We need shutdown corners, better safeties and another LB or 2 and this defense will once again be top 5.

• Like 1

Schwartz is such an interesting topic. People like to point out where his defenses ranked over his career.  And when you see that, you're like hmm, maybe he is actually good?  But the funny thing is, that's exactly what I say to myself "maybe he is actually good" when I see those stats.  Because otherwise, to the naked eye when watching the Eagles defense over the last 5 years, the only thing we ever had going for us was the pass rush.  At the same time, we were routinely burned through the air and rarely generated turnovers.

Have you honestly ever felt "confidence" in the Eagles' defense under Schwartz?  Get the "big stop" in critical situations?

I haven't felt actual confidence in the defense since the Jim Johnson days.  Those were the days where you thought (knew?) the D could/would come through with a big play when needed and the big stop when needed.

Schwartz, to me, is basically "meh"...we can certainly do worse at DC, but we can also do better.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wyote said:

There's always one game. 

Unfortunately, there has been quite a bit more than one game where Jim's defense has made no name QBs look like the next coming of Brady or just had trouble stopping in general.  Go back to week 1 when we had a 10 point lead going into halftime only to watch Haskins (who is now out of the NFL) lead the WFT to 20 second half points. 

Dwayne ... freakin' .... Haskins.  :blink:

• Like 3

Schwartz lost me with the sticks defense against Tennessee. 

• Like 1

Thanks Coach Schwartz for all you did to help win a Championship. Best of luck in your new city and new venture(s). Farewell Jimmy sticks.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:14 AM, EaglesAddict said:

Schwartz is such an interesting topic. People like to point out where his defenses ranked over his career.  And when you see that, you're like hmm, maybe he is actually good?  But the funny thing is, that's exactly what I say to myself "maybe he is actually good" when I see those stats.  Because otherwise, to the naked eye when watching the Eagles defense over the last 5 years, the only thing we ever had going for us was the pass rush.  At the same time, we were routinely burned through the air and rarely generated turnovers.

Have you honestly ever felt "confidence" in the Eagles' defense under Schwartz?  Get the "big stop" in critical situations?

I haven't felt actual confidence in the defense since the Jim Johnson days.  Those were the days where you thought (knew?) the D could/would come through with a big play when needed and the big stop when needed.

Schwartz, to me, is basically "meh"...we can certainly do worse at DC, but we can also do better.

Spot on. Everyone says the championship year. That defense had the luxury of playing with large leads and gave up a record number of yards in the SB. If it wasn't for BDN and the offense balling out we wouldn't have a Lombardi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

Spot on. Everyone says the championship year. That defense had the luxury of playing with large leads and gave up a record number of yards in the SB. If it wasn't for BDN and the offense balling out we wouldn't have a Lombardi.

But without the D they don't beat Atlanta and the D played a huge role in shutting down the Vikings. Without that huge Barnett sack fumble who knows how this game plays out. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, time2rock said:

Go back to week 1 when we had a 10 point lead going into halftime only to watch Haskins (who is now out of the NFL) lead the WFT to 20 second half points. 

Dwayne ... freakin' .... Haskins.  :blink:

I totally understand your point, but to be slightly fair to the Defense, I am pretty sure all of WFTs 2nd half scoring drives started on the Eagles side of the 50 yard line. A couple were like around the 25 yard line or so.

Still though, that bum of a QB did beat this D and that is on the Coaches and Players.

• Like 1

My problem with Schwartz was that he just didn't move guys out when they didn't produce. Biggest example was Gerry with Singleton sitting on the bench. Another would be the snap count between Sweat and Barnett. Then there's sticking with Mills instead of using K'Von Wallace. 

I hope the DL philosophy stays in place but they revamp the linebackers and defensive backfield. 

On 1/4/2021 at 10:01 AM, Perforator said:

our pass defense has averaged in the bottom third of the entire league the last five seasons combined, this includes a ranking of 15th this season and 13th in 2016.