My first mock for 2021

Rob331

I believe the cap situation and the number of free agents the Eagles have will dictate this draft. Like most of our mocks this will be based on need and not best player available. 

I believe the Eagles will re-sign one of their unrestricted free agents - Cameron Johnson; their restricted free agent - Boston Scott; and all of their exclusive rights free agents - Juriga, Ward, Fulgham, Opeta, and most importantly Singleton. I also hope they re-sign Jordan Howard. 

I don't think they can afford to trade Wentz and actually I believe he makes a comeback next year and wins the starting job hands down. 

I do think they will try to trade Zach Ertz and will hopefully recoup the 4th Howie stupidly traded for Avery. 

Hopefully they hire an accomplished offensive coordinator and trash the "gang of who knows how many" running the offense. Because they need a quarterback whisperer that unfortunately means Duce doesn't get the job again.

This is primarily a defensive draft because that is where the holes. OL is solid with Mailata/Dillard, Seumalo, Brooks, Johnson, Herbig, Driscoll and I'm not ready to replace Kelce because I think he'll be back. If we re=sign Howard we're ok at RB. We'll find a #2 TE among Perkins, Rodgers, Croom, Butler, and Wilson. We'll get an undrafted free agent for our #3 QB. 

I've seen various compensatory scenarios but to be conservative let's call in a 6th and a 7th.

1 - DaVonta Smith WR Alabama 6'1"  175  4.45. His slight build scare me, but we need a receiver to pair with Reagor. The ideal scenario is that Fulgham excels in camp and Reagor can move to the slot.  

2 - Rodarius Williams CB Oklahoma State 6'0" 180 4.48. LeBlanc and NRC are both free agents I hope won't be back and I'm tired of short CB's without speed in the 4.4's. If FArley is available I prefer him, but I think 4 corners go in the first round. 

3 - Jaelin Phillips DE Miami(FL)  6'5" 266 4.88. Curry is a free agent and Sweat might not be ready early. 

4 - Bubba Bolden S Miami(FL) 6'3" 200 4.53. Mills and Ford are free agents and McCloud might not be ready. 

5 - Chase Lucas CB Arizona State 6'0" 195 4.49. We loose 2 corners and we add 2. 

5 - Pete Werner LB Ohio State 6'3"  239 4.74. Riley and Gerry are free agents and does anyone want them back. Werner has the size to back up Edwards on running downs. 

6 - Sherrod Green LB South Carolina 6'1" 230 4.70. Lose 2 add 2 and Green is the fastest available. 

6 comp- Jaquan Brisker S Penn State 6'1" 205 4.58. Rudy Ford's replacement

7 and 7 comp  - OL, QB, WR, DT are all possibilities, but we do kid ourselves that guys drafted here make a difference (ok - I know Mills was a find, but didn't he level out)

• Like 3

I do like the defense heavy approach, especially the secondary, which is desperately needed. Rodarius Williams is a solid choice in that 2nd round tier of CBs, although I personally might prefer Eric Stokes or Derion Kendrick, but just personal preference. I agree with you that at least 3, possibly 4 CBs go in the first (Surtain, Farley, Horn, Samuel Jr.?) I think a case can certainly be made to hold off on drafting a bunch of OL, given how our young guys have been developing under Coach Stoutland. Injuries have really hurt the group, but the talent is there. I can't argue the same for CB2, which has been a mess this year. 

Rob,

My turn! 😂

- who are we going to cut/trade/restructure to get under the cap?

- who’ll be the assistent coaches?

- I believe Bolden and Lucas returned to school;

- it’s still early in the proces but Williams at the top of the second looks like a huge reach but who knows before the combine.Just can’t see him being the best corner available at that point and if he is, I’d probably go in a different direction with my second (safety, IOL, LB, edge). Kendrick, Samuel, Stokes, Campbell are all viewed as better prospects at this point. Who has Williams graded that high?! Walterfootball?! Ha, don’t even use that site anymore. Way off beyond the first round way to often;

- Farley will likely be a top 15 pick;

- While Phillips has a shot to sneak into the first (it would look more realistic if je swap Williams and Phillips);

- 2 LB’s, 2 CB’s and 2 safeties but waiting to address the OL until the 7th? I get it you believe we’re in good shape there but we still need backups nontheless especially at IOL (Brooks injured two years in a row, LJ with health concerns, Kelce possibly retiring etc);

Am I the only one who thinks it's impossible for us to carry both Wentz and Hurts into next season? 

You weren't kidding bud when you said this was defense heavy. 

Don't get me wrong this defense absolutely needs new young talent but so does this offense. And if their plan (as per your mock) is to bring back Wentz and turn him around then they need to do more for the offense. 

46 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's impossible for us to carry both Wentz and Hurts into next season? 

I don't think it's impossible. In fact I think it's probable that they bring both back. But I also think that's a major mistake. 

I think Williams is available later.  I like him as a prospect, but he's already 24 years old.

15 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Rob,

My turn! 😂

- who are we going to cut/trade/restructure to get under the cap?

- who’ll be the assistent coaches?

- I believe Bolden and Lucas returned to school;

- it’s still early in the proces but Williams at the top of the second looks like a huge reach but who knows before the combine.Just can’t see him being the best corner available at that point and if he is, I’d probably go in a different direction with my second (safety, IOL, LB, edge). Kendrick, Samuel, Stokes, Campbell are all viewed as better prospects at this point. Who has Williams graded that high?! Walterfootball?! Ha, don’t even use that site anymore. Way off beyond the first round way to often;

- Farley will likely be a top 15 pick;

- While Phillips has a shot to sneak into the first (it would look more realistic if je swap Williams and Phillips);

- 2 LB’s, 2 CB’s and 2 safeties but waiting to address the OL until the 7th? I get it you believe we’re in good shape there but we still need backups nontheless especially at IOL (Brooks injured two years in a row, LJ with health concerns, Kelce possibly retiring etc);

who are we going to cut/trade/restructure to get under the cap?  Have to look at the top of the salary chart. Fletcher and Brooks are likely. Malik Jackson for sure IF he stays. Desean and Jeffrey's departure get's us another $13M. You know I think keeping Barnett is a question mark at his $10M salary. Pryor and Avery go - that's another $1,8M

who’ll be the assistent coaches? Not to be picky, but it's assistAnt. My guess, they keep Burke since the front 4 was #1 in sacks this year. The LB coaches go and so does Hauck. I have my doubts about Manual - if he bought into Maddox on the outside he should go, if not I'll give him a Mulligan for toughing it through an injury plagued year and being saddled with Mills. On the offensive side - news today have Marti and Skag going. I'd be terrifically happy if they whacked Taylor but I don't think that's going to happen. They need a QB centric OC so I don't think Duce gets the job and he might just walk when that happens but I hope not. Moorehead should be safe and Stoutland should be a long term fixture.  

2 LB’s, 2 CB’s and 2 safeties but waiting to address the OL until the 7th? I get it you believe we’re in good shape there but we still need backups nontheless especially at IOL (Brooks injured two years in a row, LJ with health concerns, Kelce possibly retiring etc);  I still say wait a year. Herbig and Driscoll are serviceable NFL backups and the loser of the Mailata/Dillard competition will be a top tackle replacement if needed. I think Kelce will come back and we can draft or FA sign a center in 2022.  

As far as the draft prospects go - that's the fun of this whole exercise. What position, who, what round and why are the reason we all come to this board. And yes I do use Walter Football. 

Glad to see you're still sharp pal. 

42 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

who are we going to cut/trade/restructure to get under the cap?  Have to look at the top of the salary chart. Fletcher and Brooks are likely. Malik Jackson for sure IF he stays. Desean and Jeffrey's departure get's us another $13M. You know I think keeping Barnett is a question mark at his $10M salary. Pryor and Avery go - that's another $1,8M

who’ll be the assistent coaches? Not to be picky, but it's assistAnt. My guess, they keep Burke since the front 4 was #1 in sacks this year. The LB coaches go and so does Hauck. I have my doubts about Manual - if he bought into Maddox on the outside he should go, if not I'll give him a Mulligan for toughing it through an injury plagued year and being saddled with Mills. On the offensive side - news today have Marti and Skag going. I'd be terrifically happy if they whacked Taylor but I don't think that's going to happen. They need a QB centric OC so I don't think Duce gets the job and he might just walk when that happens but I hope not. Moorehead should be safe and Stoutland should be a long term fixture.  

2 LB’s, 2 CB’s and 2 safeties but waiting to address the OL until the 7th? I get it you believe we’re in good shape there but we still need backups nontheless especially at IOL (Brooks injured two years in a row, LJ with health concerns, Kelce possibly retiring etc);  I still say wait a year. Herbig and Driscoll are serviceable NFL backups and the loser of the Mailata/Dillard competition will be a top tackle replacement if needed. I think Kelce will come back and we can draft or FA sign a center in 2022.  

As far as the draft prospects go - that's the fun of this whole exercise. What position, who, what round and why are the reason we all come to this board. And yes I do use Walter Football. 

Glad to see you're still sharp pal. 

Do me a favor, buddy! Stop using Walter Football as your main resource. One of the worst draft sites IMO. CBS is also pretty bad. Both are mocking second tier OT’s and LB to the Eagles at 6.

Instead start using both of them paired with thedraftnetwork, PFf, PFN, NFL.com, withthefirstpick, draftblaster, tankathon, nfldraftscout, fansided etc and make up your own mind once you concluded your research.

There’s no wrong or right but if you want to get a bit of a feel for who’s going where beyond the first round, it’s better to use them all.

Yeah, I know it’s assistant. FYI I’m Dutch and you know how phones work?! It corrects it to the Dutch word assistent with the same meaning.

11 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Do me a favor, buddy! Stop using Walter Football as your main resource. One of the worst draft sites IMO. CBS is also pretty bad. Both are mocking second tier OT’s and LB to the Eagles at 6.

Instead start using both of them paired with thedraftnetwork, PFf, PFN, NFL.com, withthefirstpick, draftblaster, tankathon, nfldraftscout, fansided etc and make up your own mind once you concluded your research.

There’s no wrong or right but if you want to get a bit of a feel for who’s going where beyond the first round, it’s better to use them all.

Yeah, I know it’s assistant. FYI I’m Dutch and you know how phones work?! It corrects it to the Dutch word assistent with the same meaning.

To be fair, I do also reference Drafttek as one of my draft resources, when coming up with mock drafts, and they are high on Williams as well as their 7th ranked CB (56th overall ranked prospect). Their top 6 were Surtain, Farley, Horn, Samuel Jr., Campbell, and Kendrick.

Still, I do agree that I would rather have either Georgia CB or Derion Kendrick at that juncture in the 2nd round assuming those top 4 guys go in Round 1, since we have an early 2nd round pick and not a late 2nd.

1 minute ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

To be fair, I do also reference Drafttek as one of my draft resources, when coming up with mock drafts, and they are high on Williams as well as their 7th ranked CB. Their top 6 were Surtain, Farley, Horn, Samuel Jr., Campbell, and Kendrick.

Still, I do agree that I would rather have either Georgia CB or Derion Kendrick at that juncture in the 2nd round assuming those top 4 guys go in Round 1.

Usually 4-5 go in the first. Might have to trade up to secure a top 5 corner.

If I had to choose between Williams and one of the top LB’s (Moses, Bolton, Cox) or safeties (Moehrig, Holland etc), I’m leaning towards the latter two. Value is just better.

Good one! Drafttek...forgot about that one. Basically I use all of them, gametape, highlights, scouting reports, and about every mock draft and simulator out there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Usually 4-5 go in the first. Might have to trade up to secure a top 5 corner.

If I had to choose between Williams and one of the top LB’s (Moses, Bolton, Cox) or safeties (Moehrig, Holland etc), I’m leaning towards the latter two. Value is just better.

Good one! Drafttek...forgot about that one. Basically I use all of them, gametape, highlights, scouting reports, and about every mock draft and simulator out there.

I agree with the LB/S value over Williams in that scenario, but I still think we have a good shot at Stokes, Kendrick, or Campbell in Round 2.

Even if you project 5 CBs going in Round 1, let's say Surtain, Farley, Horn, Samuel, and Kendrick. That would still leave both Georgia CBs for round 2 and I would imagine one of them should still be there by our 2nd round pick.

44 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I agree with the LB/S value over Williams in that scenario, but I still think we have a good shot at Stokes, Kendrick, or Campbell in Round 2.

Even if you project 5 CBs going in Round 1, let's say Surtain, Farley, Horn, Samuel, and Kendrick. That would still leave both Georgia CBs for round 2 and I would imagine one of them should still be there by our 2nd round pick.

Exactly. One of Stokes, Samuel, Campbell or Kendrick should be there or within striking distance.

Stokes is my favorite of the bunch. Solid, dependable, physical corner with good size and speed. Love Samuel but it wouldn’t surprise me if measures in under 5’10” at the combine and that’s just too small to play on the outside. Both Kendrick and Campbell are a bit raw but have good upside.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Exactly. One of Stokes, Samuel, Campbell or Kendrick should be there or within striking distance.

Stokes is my favorite of the bunch. Solid, dependable, physical corner with good size and speed. Love Samuel but it wouldn’t surprise me if measures in under 5’10” at the combine and that’s just too small to play on the outside. Both Kendrick and Campbell are a bit raw but have good upside.

I did a mock on Fanspeak today where Wyatt Davis fell into the 2nd round and was still able to land Rodarius Williams in Round 3. Obviously those simulators have their limitations, but I feel that illustrates how many guys are ahead of him in terms of overall rankings. With our high 2nd rounder we can land a better prospect at CB in my opinion; Williams or Paulson Adebo from Stanford would be solid picks in the early 3rd round.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I did a mock on Fanspeak today where Wyatt Davis fell into the 2nd round and was still able to land Rodarius Williams in Round 3. Obviously those simulators have their limitations, but I feel that illustrates how many guys are ahead of him in terms of overall rankings. With our high 2nd rounder we can land a better prospect at CB in my opinion; Williams or Paulson Adebo from Stanford would be solid picks in the early 3rd round.

Indeed!

I’m still torn between corner and receiver at 6. Chase or Smith could really help this offense, specifically the QB and elevate every player on that side of the ball. On the other hand; we haven’t had a quality CB duo on the outside for over a decade.

If you go Surtain or Farley at 6, you could possibly take Olave, Marshall or St. Brown at the top of the second.

An equally great haul IMO.

33 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed!

I’m still torn between corner and receiver at 6. Chase or Smith could really help this offense, specifically the QB and elevate every player on that side of the ball. On the other hand; we haven’t had a quality CB duo on the outside for over a decade.

If you go Surtain or Farley at 6, you could possibly take Olave, Marshall or St. Brown at the top of the second.

An equally great haul IMO.

Ray, I don't like the idea of using #6 on either of those two. Caveat emptor, as they say.

Surtain just doesn't move as smoothly as you'd look for in a tip-top CB, and in that regard, I much prefer Farley. However, his injury history is enough to put me off.

Kinda got my heart set on Chase at #6 and Stokes at #38, but fully expecting Howie to trade back and take a pass rusher.

2 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

Ray, I don't like the idea of using #6 on either of those two. Caveat emptor, as they say.

Surtain just doesn't move as smoothly as you'd look for in a tip-top CB, and in that regard, I much prefer Farley. However, his injury history is enough to put me off.

Kinda got my heart set on Chase at #6 and Stokes at #38, but fully expecting Howie to trade back and take a pass rusher.

I am leaning towards preferring Chase/Smith over Surtain/Farley at 6, but in the event both WR and Penei Sewell are off the board, I would consider Surtain at 6 because trading down is risky in a top heavy draft. Maybe the franchise surprises us and drafts their first LB since 1979*, by selecting Micah Parsons, who could arguably be the BPA in that scenario?? (*Not counting former Louisville DE turned OLB Marcus Smith).

Parsons at MIKE could give us a solid trio with Alex Singleton and TJ Edwards manning the outside LB spots. Only question is if they think he's a Luke Kuechly or Brian Urlacher caliber player to justify such a high pick?

Either way, we have better options at 6 than we would have had at 9. Hopefully John Dorsey/Andy Weidl bang the table for staying put at 6 and not reaching on a lesser talent. The Browns did take Denzel Ward 4th overall when Dorsey was GM, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Surtain at 6 if he's the top guy on the board. Marcus Peters (18th overall in 2015) was also notably a John Dorsey pick, so there's no fear of going CB in Round 1 under Dorsey.

10 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

7 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I am leaning towards preferring Chase/Smith over Surtain/Farley at 6, but in the event both WR and Penei Sewell are off the board, I would consider Surtain at 6 because trading down is risky in a top heavy draft. Maybe the franchise surprises us and drafts their first LB since 1979*, by selecting Micah Parsons, who could arguably be the BPA in that scenario?? (*Not counting former Louisville DE turned OLB Marcus Smith).

Parsons at MIKE could give us a solid trio with Alex Singleton and TJ Edwards manning the outside LB spots. Only question is if they think he's a Luke Kuechly or Brian Urlacher caliber player to justify such a high pick?

Either way, we have better options at 6 than we would have had at 9. Hopefully John Dorsey/Andy Weidl bang the table for staying put at 6 and not reaching on a lesser talent. The Browns did take Denzel Ward 4th overall when Dorsey was GM, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Surtain at 6 if he's the top guy on the board. Marcus Peters (18th overall in 2015) was also notably a John Dorsey pick, so there's no fear of going CB in Round 1 under Dorsey.

You’re both right IMO.

This class is deep at both receiver and DB but lacks elite talent at the latter positions.

I view Surtain as a Marlon Humphrey/Byron Jones type of corner and Farley in the vein of Kyle Fuller/Marshon Lattimore. In any other draft, those guys usually go in that 10-20 range, not at 6th overall. Although I certainly would love them to be elite, in reality they just aren’t.

In an ideal World, Chase falls to them at 6 and one of Stokes, Samuel or Kendrick at 38.

• Like 2

Im sure you know this because you mock is very close to mine. Bubba Bolden and Chase Lucas are going back to school.

Other than that, great job. Love Smith and Phillips (although, I doubt Phillips falls to round 3).

On 1/7/2021 at 1:22 PM, Ray75 said:

Aren't the Dutch known for their stubbornness ?? 

1 minute ago, Rob331 said:

Aren't the Dutch known for their stubbornness ?? 

What’s your point, boy?!

Just now, Ray75 said:

What’s your point, boy?!

point  made !!

3 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

point  made !!

Do tell... Something against Dutch people?!