Garrett Riley (SMU OC/QB Coach) -- STAYING AT SMU

eaglesfan0075

Yes, Garrett Riley is the brother of Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley. He's currently the OC and QB coach for SMU and is rumored to be under consideration for South Carolina's OC job. We tried getting Graham Harrell last year to no avail, but why not try another young offensive mind from the college ranks?

If we're being realistic, there's a good chance that despite everything the Eagles do this offseason, we'll be staring down another losing season simply due to how much of a rebuild is truly needed to become a playoff caliber team. If the Eagles miss the playoffs again next season, Doug Pederson will almost definitely be let go. If Carson Wentz manages to stick around with the Eagles in 2021, he probably isn't back in 2022 in this scenario.

So who do we bring in to coach Jalen Hurts and this rebuilding squad? Lincoln Riley. Having his brother already on board could very well be a big help in the recruiting process. It also helps that the Eagles already keep in touch with him regarding prospects such as Jalen Hurts and Jalen Reagor.

(Also side note, it would be pretty cool for the City of Brotherly Love have two coaches who are brothers help restore this franchise to it's former glory)

8 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

We tried getting Graham Harrell last year to no avail, but why not try another young offensive mind from the college ranks?

I think unfortunately the reason we missed out on getting Harrell will be the same reasons we miss out on young OC candidates. Why would a young highly rated college OC (or for that matter a young NFL offensive coach) want to come to Philly? They'd be working in a Doug offense where Doug calls the plays. Oh and the QB position is a bit of a mess. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think unfortunately the reason we missed out on getting Harrell will be the same reasons we miss out on young OC candidates. Why would a young highly rated college OC (or for that matter a young NFL offensive coach) want to come to Philly? They'd be working in a Doug offense where Doug calls the plays. Oh and the QB position is a bit of a mess. 

Unfortunately I think you are right.  I think it is the same as when we were trying to hire a new HC in 2016 and it seemed top candidates weren't interested (rumored due to not wanting to work with Howie).  But you know what?  Let them promote Taylor to OC.  The offense will stink once again in 2021 (I have zero faith in an offense led by Doug and Taylor) and the QB regression will continue (unless the promotion of Taylor to OC leaves an opening to bring in a strong QB coach) and perhaps then Lurie will clean house, sweeping Howie, Doug, Taylor, and practically everyone else out the door.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Unfortunately I think you are right.  I think it is the same as when we were trying to hire a new HC in 2016 and it seemed top candidates weren't interested (rumored due to not wanting to work with Howie).  But you know what?  Let them promote Taylor to OC.  The offense will stink once again in 2021 (I have zero faith in an offense led by Doug and Taylor) and the QB regression will continue (unless the promotion of Taylor to OC leaves an opening to bring in a strong QB coach) and perhaps then Lurie will clean house, sweeping Howie, Doug, Taylor, and practically everyone else out the door.  

I think you're right. Short term pain for long term gain. I don't like the idea, I'm not on board with it but I think it's going to take that. I do think this offense is going to suck next year. Doug coming back, Howie coming back, Wentz likely coming back and not being able to bring in a new really good OC will lead to the same ish we've seen the last couple of years. 

35 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're right. Short term pain for long term gain. I don't like the idea, I'm not on board with it but I think it's going to take that. I do think this offense is going to suck next year. Doug coming back, Howie coming back, Wentz likely coming back and not being able to bring in a new really good OC will lead to the same ish we've seen the last couple of years. 

It isn’t like that is what we are wishing for.  If I had my wish we’d hire Caldwell as our new OC and give him autonomy over the offense and Bradley as our new DC.  I can guarantee we’d end with a much better record in 2021 than if we promote Taylor to OC and Doug continues to have final say over the offense.  But if that is the path they choose then that is the likely outcome (regarding offense continuing to stink and Wentz’s poor play continues ... not that Lurie will sweep em all out ... but it likely increases the chances by quite a bit).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It isn’t like that is what we are wishing for.  If I had my wish we’d hire Caldwell as our new OC and give him autonomy over the offense and Bradley as our new DC.  I can guarantee we’d end with a much better record in 2021 than if we promote Taylor to OC and Doug continues to have final say over the offense.  But if that is the path they choose then that is the likely outcome (regarding offense continuing to stink and Wentz’ poor play continues ... not that Lurie will sweep em all out ... but it likely increases the chances by quite a bit).  

Agreed. I think Doug has some good traits as a HC but he needs to realise that those are in terms of his emotional intelligence and how he gets guys to fight for him. He's not a very good offensive coach, he's not creative and his play calling isn't very good either. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I think Doug has some good traits as a HC but he needs to realise that those are in terms of his emotional intelligence and how he gets guys to fight for him. He's not a very good offensive coach, he's not creative and his play calling isn't very good either. 

Doug to this offense is the same as Howie is to talent evaluation.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Id agree. I think Doug can be a good play caller but he needs a creative offense for him to then succeed at play calling. I'm not saying he's a great play caller at that either.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Unfortunately a very fitting comparison 😔

I guess we can talk about all of the great candidates we want, but until Howie and Doug's egos result in another failed season and hopefully eventual dismissal, we won't see real progress or anyone worth their time coming over here as OC.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Id agree. I think Doug can be a good play caller but he needs a creative offense for him to then succeed at play calling. I'm not saying he's a great play caller at that either.

Well you’d hope your OC is a good play caller, is creative and good at play design.  Doug isn’t any of the above.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well you’d hope your OC is a good play caller, good, is creative and good at play design.  Doug isn’t any of the above.  

I'd agree though I do sympathise with him a little. I mean we know he can be a good play caller.

Well in light of today's news, maybe there's an outside chance of the Riley brothers coming to town?

No college coaches please. Not a good track record of success in the NFL making that change.