Nick Sirianni (Colts OC) -- HIRED BY EAGLES!

Macho Grande

By all accounts, Sirianni has emerged as one of the heavy favorites after an interview that reportedly stretched into the next day.  He's not Josh McDaniels or some other once-failed former HC, so that should make the "I'd rather take a chance on an up-and-comer" types happy.  And unlike Duce, he has offensive coordinator experience, as well as experience coaching several areas of the team (QB coach,  WR coach, etc).  

This should make both sides happy, right?  

• Like 1

Makes sense. Not gonna say I knew who tf he was before he was on out radar tho lol. But I won’t be mad at this hire. Happier than if we hired Duce or McDaniels

If its between McDaniels, Duce & Sirianni...I'll take my chances with Sirianni.

McDaniels personality is very unlikely to work in Philly unless he's wildly successful almost instantly. 

I love Duce but I think a jump from RB coach to Head Coach is too much. This team needs a new, outside presence who will bring in a new offense and fresh ideas. 

At least with Sirianni, he's coming from a different background and should bring fresh ideas. I also heard he will be bringing in Jonathan Gannon as DC who's seen around the league as a very intelligent defensive mind. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Usain23 said:

McDaniels personality is very unlikely to work in Philly unless he's wildly successful almost instantly. 

I love Duce but I think a jump from RB coach to Head Coach is too much. This team needs a new, outside presence who will bring in a new offense and fresh ideas. 

At least with Sirianni, he's coming from a different background and should bring fresh ideas. I also heard he will be bringing in Jonathan Gannon as DC who's seen around the league as a very intelligent defensive mind. 

That's not the whole story though. You are forgetting his Assistant to the Regional Manager label he was given last season (/Assistant Head Coach I think it may have been called).

All I know is there's gonna be some backlash amongst the fans, media, possibly players to have Duce be in your organization for as long as he has and did everything he could to rise up, but still get passed over for the best job for another out of nowhere white coordinator. Don't shoot the messenger. 

4 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

That's not the whole story though. You are forgetting his Assistant to the Regional Manager label he was given last season (/Assistant Head Coach I think it may have been called).

All I know is there's gonna be some backlash amongst the fans, media, possibly players to have Duce be in your organization for as long as he has and did everything he could to rise up, but still get passed over for the best job for another out of nowhere white coordinator. Don't shoot the messenger. 

I certainly expect that would come if Duce was passed over. But at the same time, what in his resume shows hes a slam dunk HC candidate? I understand that argument moreso with Bieniemy. If Duce blew them away in the interview, then of course they'd hire him. It'd be an easy decision given the support of the players. If they dont hire him despite the groundswell of player support, then whoever the hire is was CLEARLY a more impressive candidate in the interview process. 

• Like 2

If you look at Lurie's past hires, Sirianni does fit in that he is a bit of a lesser in demand candidate like Andy was and like Doug was.  Apparently, his interview went over a span of two days. So, based on time, I agree with Mosher,  it seems like McDaniels and Sirianni are serious candidates vs. the other candidates who only got a few hours.

I didn't know much about him, in fact I knew next to nothing, before this interview was reported but hey I'd prefer Sirianni over McDaniels to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macho Grande said:

By all accounts, Sirianni has emerged as one of the heavy favorites after an interview that reportedly stretched into the next day.  He's not Josh McDaniels or some other once-failed former HC, so that should make the "I'd rather take a chance on an up-and-comer" types happy.  And unlike Duce, he has offensive coordinator experience, as well as experience coaching several areas of the team (QB coach,  WR coach, etc).  

This should make both sides happy, right?  

Hard to answer that without knowing:

• How creative he can be with play design?
  • Can he scheme guys open?
  • Can he adjust his scheme to best fit the strengths of the players?
  • How open will he be to suggestions from his staff in running the offense?
  • Will he hold his players accountable?
  • Will he make solid hiring decisions (now and when forced to replace staff members later)?

I'm sure there are other questions I am missing, but you get the point.

This guy deserves a HC job but Duce doesn't ok...

Duce should leave this organization. Ultimate disrespect and using him as a Rooney Rule pawn. Figured this would be the case after "leaks" said Duce had a good interview and "impressed" Lurie.

10 hours ago, Usain23 said:

I knew a guy like that...

21 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

This guy deserves a HC job but Duce doesn't ok...

Duce should leave this organization. Ultimate disrespect and using him as a Rooney Rule pawn. Figured this would be the case after "leaks" said Duce had a good interview and "impressed" Lurie.

Bowles? Mayo? Stop with the Rooney Rule pawn stuff lol.

Since he never was the play caller, and now that he'd be the HC, will he become obsessed with it like Doug? He'll need a puppet OC if he wants to call plays and that will limit the number and quality of candidates for OC.

28 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Since he never was the play caller, and now that he'd be the HC, will he become obsessed with it like Doug? He'll need a puppet OC if he wants to call plays and that will limit the number and quality of candidates for OC.

Even if he does want to take on play calling duties I sure hope he'll add a seasoned OC that has plenty of experience running an offense and serve in a role in much the same way Reich did with steering Doug back on path when needed and help with game planning and play design.    

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Even if he does want to take on play calling duties I sure hope he'll add a seasoned OC that has plenty of experience running an offense and serve in a role in much the same way Reich did with steering Doug back on path when needed and help with game planning and play design.    

It would appear that his choices are limited to an older mentor type who has been there/done that for so long he doesn't feel the need to call plays, or a too soon to be fully ready youngster who won't make waves about play calling ala. Press Taylor. Again, him wanting play calling duties will eliminate all the prime candidate guys in the middle of those two ends of the spectrum IMO. I don't know if he wants to or not. Personally, I hope he does not.

54 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

It would appear that his choices are limited to an older mentor type who has been there/done that for so long he doesn't feel the need to call plays, or a too soon to be fully ready youngster who won't make waves about play calling ala. Press Taylor. Again, him wanting play calling duties will eliminate all the prime candidate guys in the middle of those two ends of the spectrum IMO. I don't know if he wants to or not. Personally, I hope he does not.

Yeah I agree with you in having a preference for a HC that won't have the lead on play calling but rather than coordinators that he trusts to run his units but obviously has input as should be expected as a HC.  Since he has an offensive background it will be nice to have a few minds to game plan together and design plays/scheme but then come game day allow the OC to run the offense.  

3 hours ago, Jenkins27 said:

Bowles? Mayo? Stop with the Rooney Rule pawn stuff lol.

Actually your right. Since Duce is internal he cant be counted towards a teams two minority candidates. Bowles and Mayo are defensive guys and never had a real chance at the job lol. Saleh I guess would fit under this as well (did he have a legit shot idk because he took the Jets job immediately after interview with eagles). Duce, they used him as a pawn in 2016. They passed on him for OC a couple times and now this. 

I knew Duce was not going to get the job as soon as I heard the "leak" that he had a good interview and Lurie was "really impressed."

Oh well, lets hope Sirianni is a good coach. Must be nice.

• Like 1