49ers Have An ‘Inside Edge’ On Landing Matthew Stafford In Trade

Procus

https://www.inquisitr.com/6463414/49ers-inside-edge-matthew-stafford/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheInquisitrSport+(The+Inquisitr+»+Sport)

NFL Rumors: 49ers Have An ‘Inside Edge’ On Landing Matthew Stafford In Trade

The San Francisco 49ers may have pulled ahead in the race to land Matthew Stafford, a new report indicates.

The Pro Bowl quarterback had reportedly asked for a trade that would give him a fresh start, and reports indicated that the Detroit Lions have agreed and are now starting to look at potential deals. While there have been close to a dozen teams connected in potential deals, a report from Sports Illustrated indicates that the 49ers may have the inside track. The outlet cited an inside source who said that while the two sides are not close to finalizing a deal, the team seems to be ahead of potential competitors in discussions.

Beyond that, there were few details about exactly what a trade would look like. The insider was also unable to determine whether the feeling was mutual between Stafford and the 49ers.

"The source did not say what the 49ers would have to give the Lions to get Stafford, although it’s presumed the 49ers would have to trade at least their first-round pick this year,” the outlet noted. "Nor did the source say whether the 49ers are Stafford’s first choice. He most likely would love their head coach, Kyle Shanahan, plus their star players such as George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk, but probably wouldn’t love the California state taxes.”

There are other reports indicating that the 49ers are looking to make a change at quarterback, just one year after Jimmy Garoppolo led the team to the Super Bowl. As The Inquisitr reported, there is a growing sentiment among NFL insiders that San Francisco would be willing to move on if they could land an upgrade, namely Stafford. A report from NESN speculated that Garoppolo could find his way back to the New England Patriots, where he served as backup to Tom Brady before being traded to San Francisco.

Competition for Stafford is expected to be high, with a number of other quarterback-hungry teams looking for the immediate upgrade that he would bring. Betting outlets have pegged the Denver Broncos as the most likely destination, with the team expected to move on from Drew Lock if they were able to snag the Lions signal caller. As Sports Illustrated noted, Stafford’s "palatable” contract, with a $20 million cap hit in 2021 and $23 million hit in 2022, makes him an affordable option for a number of teams in need of a full-time starter.

Other than that one game in which he played hurt and helped the Lions win, Stafford's career is pretty unremarkable. He has stats, but he isn't really clutch when you look at his whole body of work.  The 49ers would be better off drafting a young QB and hope they strike lightning that way vs. hiring an aging QB who probably won't make much of a difference.

42 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Other than that one game in which he played hurt and helped the Lions win, Stafford's career is pretty unremarkable. He has stats, but he isn't really clutch when you look at his whole body of work.  The 49ers would be better off drafting a young QB and hope they strike lightning that way vs. hiring an aging QB who probably won't make much of a difference.

Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.  Especially moving on from an organization like the Lions.

1 minute ago, Procus said:

Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.  Especially moving on from an organization like the Lions.

True. The Lions organization is pretty bad, but Stafford has had talent over the years to work with on offense. So, it's not a case of he never had weapons.

9 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

What would the 49ers do with Garoppolo?

My guess is that he'll wind up back in New England.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

My guess is that he'll wind up back in New England.

I was thinking the same thing. Garoppolo was traded to SF for a second round pick.  Can the Patriots get him for less than that?  He has a huge contract.

I don't know if Stafford would be an upgrade for them. I'd think that they'd do better for themselves by drafting a QB rather than a 12 year veteran who's only been over a 100 passer rating once in his career. 

It's going to be an odd Qb market with a lot of big names available that will get major new opportunities and others, that are probably just as good, getting no attention at all.  I like Stafford and think he could win in the right situation, but is he really better than say, Andy dalton?

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It's going to be an odd Qb market with a lot of big names available that will get major new opportunities and others, that are probably just as good, getting no attention at all.  I like Stafford and think he could win in the right situation, but is he really better than say, Andy dalton?

Yes...much better.

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yes...much better.

Agreed. And much better than Jimmy G. It's an upgrade for a team that thinks they're a contender.

I think Stafford is better than most people give him credit for, probably because he plays in an NFL wasteland known as the Detroit Lions.  

After all the smoke and dust clears, we may see that most of these QB's stay with their clubs.  It's too hard to trade a QB at the beginning of a contract in the current environment.

I think Stafford does get traded. I think he wants out and I think the organization are willing to make it happen. The fact that there is a good amount of interest in him only goes to make it more likely. 

But a first round pick? I mean the Niners pick is top half of the first round? I think that's too big a price to pay. That said if they can sort the QB position then that's a talented roster. It's a short term win now move though I think. 

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Stafford does get traded. I think he wants out and I think the organization are willing to make it happen. The fact that there is a good amount of interest in him only goes to make it more likely. 

But a first round pick? I mean the Niners pick is top half of the first round? I think that's too big a price to pay. That said if they can sort the QB position then that's a talented roster. It's a short term win now move though I think. 

Nope Stafford already killed his value for the Lions by being the one to say he wants out. So now other teams know the Lions are not going to keep a disgruntled player. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Nope Stafford already killed his value for the Lions by being the one to say he wants out. So now other teams know the Lions are not going to keep a disgruntled player. 

Ummm.....

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, CaliEagle said:

The 49ers would be better off drafting a young QB and hope they strike lightning that way vs. hiring an aging QB who probably won't make much of a difference.

The SF window is NOW.  They are one of the few teams that is a QB away from being a legit SB contender.  Draft incorrectly, which is very likely, and that team, which was ravaged by injuries, falls apart by the time the QB position is sorted out.

I usually subscribe to your theory, but in this case, SanFran needs to strike while the iron is hot.

3 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Ummm.....

Well I don't think anyone saw that coming lol. 

On 1/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Thing is, by the time that story leaked, the negotiations with the Rams may have been well advanced already.