Eagles Hire Michael Clay as ST Coach (SF Asst STs Coach)

time2rock

You may remember the name ... Clay served as an assistant STs coach here under Chip Kelly back in 2014-2015 (technically in a Defensive Quality Control role in 2014 then promoted to assistant STs coach in 2015).  He then followed Chip to SF and served initially as a strength and conditioning coach before once again being bumped up to assistant STs coach and has served in that role since.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/28/report-eagles-jets-to-interview-49ers-assistant-michael-clay-for-special-teams-job/

He is also interviewing with the Jets (who hired SF DC Salah as their  new HC) for the same position, so they may have the advantage.  

• Like 1

I like it. 

these coaches are going to suck because I like most of them if not all. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So to be clear... He's not moved beyond assistant ST coach in 5 years? Doesn't give me great confidence I'll be honest. 

Fipp was an assistant for four or five years years

• Like 1

Well just cause he was a Chip guy doesn’t mean he’s going to be a bad coach. I just hope it all works out, but these young coaches have a lot of work ahead of them. He’s stuck with Elliott thanks to Howie’s contract. 

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Fipp was an assistant for four or five years years

Ok fair comment. It's interesting to me why some coaches get promoted every quickly and others don't. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well just cause he was a Chip guy doesn’t mean he’s going to be a bad coach. I just hope it all works out, but these young coaches have a lot of work ahead of them. He’s stuck with Elliott thanks to Howie’s contract. 

Maybe he'll be able to help Elliott get out of his funk.  

If they can't we should be able to move on from him after the upcoming season.  To cut him in 2022 would result in a dead cap hit of $2.3M but also $2.5M in cap savings (pre June 1 numbers).  

I think both Elliott and Wentz are in a prove it year in 2021 with the new coaching staff.

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Maybe he'll be able to help Elliott get out of his funk.  

If they can't we should be able to move on from him after the upcoming season.  To cut him in 2022 would result in a dead cap hit of $2.3M but also $2.5M in cap savings (pre June 1 numbers).  

I think both Elliott and Wentz are in a prove it year in 2021 with the new coaching staff.

Howie should be in a prove it 2021. No accountability for the crap contracts and crap drafts he’s been making. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie should be in a prove it 2021. No accountability for the crap contracts and crap drafts he’s been making. 

Agreed, but he won't be.

Collaboration might mean multiple perspectives to fuel a better decision. It might also mean a bigger pool of potential fall guys if Howie needs to blame someone. I'm going with the second one. Howie is going nowhere. It'll be someone or something else's fault if he's still an abject failure as a GM in 2021.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 12:30 PM, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Didn't we have a bunch of return TDS in 14?

Yeah but that was before they took kickoff returns out of the game.