Eagles Hire Dennard Wilson as DB Coach (NY Jets DB Coach)

time2rock

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

It still amazes me how much better the CBs we got rid of played last year for this new teams. Maybe Howie wasn't that awful at picking DBs, just a bad DC was here. 

I mean perhaps. I still put a lot on Howie. I mean the Douglas pick was a bad pick based on scheme.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Is it scheme or talent? What is more important for a Defense or a DB backfield? 

I guess the rational answer is that a Coach needs to scheme up his talent. :rolleyes:

I  think the rational answer is a Coach needs talent to scheme up.;)

16 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Is it scheme or talent? What is more important for a Defense or a DB backfield? 

I guess the rational answer is that a Coach needs to scheme up his talent. :rolleyes:

I believe the best chance to be successful comes from a culmination of many things.  Obviously having top end talent to work with is key.  But also having players that have the most potential to fit into the defensive scheme in which they will be playing is huge.  That is on the GM to work closely with the coaching staff to get an idea of what exactly they are looking for and go get those guys.  Player development then comes into play ... you need coaches that do a good job of teaching these players and coaching them up to get the best out of them.  And then the coordinator needs to be flexible and be able to adjust his scheme as needed when he sees players struggling to (to use a Reid quote) put his players in the best position to succeed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I believe the best chance to be successful comes from a culmination of many things.  Obviously having top end talent to work with is key.  But also having players that have the most potential to fit into the defensive scheme in which they will be playing is huge.  That is on the GM to work closely with the coaching staff to get an idea of what exactly they are looking for and go get those guys.  Player development then comes into play ... you need coaches that do a good job of teaching these players and coaching them up to get the best out of them.  And then the coordinator needs to be flexible and be able to adjust his scheme as needed when he sees players struggling to (to use a Reid quote) put his players in the best position to succeed.  

I'm sure that in an ideal world, that would be the first priority. Unfortunately, in a draft, you can't get every player you are targeting. When somebody ahead of you (whether they were already there or traded up to get there) takes the player you want, you have to revert back to the draft board and decide where to go with that pick now (do you take the next best at the position, take the BPA regardless, or address another position of need in relation to where they sit on your board)? You may even decide to trade down at this point unless you don't have any offers (you can't force people to trade or give up enough in a trade to make it worthwhile and the clock is ticking). You also have to believe that a large number of college football prospects are expected to learn a lot once they enter the NFL. So, yeah ... you want them to be a fit right away, but you can't automatically tell that they won't be (rule them out) just because of the situation they were in on their college team.