Eagles legend shares best trade offer Philadelphia has received for Carson Wentz

Road to Victory

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-legend-shares-best-trade-offer-philadelphia-has-received-for-carson-wentz/
Eagles legend shares best trade offer Philadelphia has received for Carson Wentz

Here's a hint: It came from an AFC South team

Reports have indicated for weeks now that Carson Wentzand the Philadelphia Eagles are bound for a breakup, with the team reportedly fielding -- and, now, proactively initiating -- trade conversations regarding the quarterback. And yet, days after Super Bowl weekend whispers of an impending deal, no move seems imminent. That's in part because the Eagles aren't getting what they're looking for in return for the former MVP candidate. And franchise legend Ron Jaworski claims to know the best offer they've gotten.

"The Eagles and (general manager) Howie Roseman are trying to prop Carson Wentz up to create the best value," the former Eagles QB told 6 ABC's Jeff Skversky on Thursday. "The talk is (them trying to get) a No. 1, almost similar to what Detroit got (in) the Jared Goff situation ... That won't happen here. That will not happen. My understanding is that the Colts have offered two second-round draft choices, maybe a third or fourth somewhere down the road. That appears to be the best offer ... the best actual offer that has been made."

Indianapolis has long been the most popular destination among speculated landing spots for Wentz, not only because the Colts have a dire and admitted need for a new QB, but because Wentz has a friendly and successful history under coach Frank Reich, his former Eagles offensive coordinator. Colts GM Chris Ballard, meanwhile, hasn't denied that Indy has explored Wentz as a potential trade target, with multiple reports suggesting the Colts and Bearsare the perceived front-runners in talks for the former Pro Bowler.

According to Jaworski, however, the Eagles appear adamant about getting at least one first-round pick back for Wentz. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported in January that Philadelphia would likely seek a minimum of a first-rounder in exchange for the QB. For what it's worth, assuming the Colts picked in a similar spot in the 2022 draft, a pair of second-rounders would be the rough equivalent of a late first-rounder, as PhillyVoice's Jimmy Kempski notes.

As for the possibility of Philly holding firm and ultimately welcoming Wentz back in 2021, even though the QB reportedly prefers a fresh start elsewhere? Jaworski doesn't see it, telling Skversky the two sides' relationship "has really gone off the rails."

Given Howie’s history of picking in the 20s, two seconds may be even better value than pick 20 or 21. Just pull the trigger and get it done. Nobody is giving up the farm for Wentz. 

We should tell Indy we'll take the two 2s if they throw in a 4 this year..  Trade Ertz for a 4/early 5, Cox for a 3 maybe a 2nd late pick, same for Johnson.  Maybe we trade down in the 1st and pick up a 2 or 3.  Maybe we get a late 4/5 for Brooks.  Voila some picks to start the massive rebuild.  We should sell sell sell

I've been saying all along I don't think we should expect any more than a 2nd this year and a (conditional) 2nd next year.

Wentz.PNG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nipples said:

Given Howie’s history of picking in the 20s, two seconds may be even better value than pick 20 or 21. Just pull the trigger and get it done. Nobody is giving up the farm for Wentz. 

Just can’t believe the Rams gave up the farm for Stafford, a guy who like Wentz, has never won a playoff game and he’s played a lot longer. He’s also a guy who’s always banged up and on the decline. That trade will mess up the market for Wentz since Howie thinks it’s now the standard. 

33 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Just can’t believe the Rams gave up the farm for Stafford, a guy who like Wentz, has never won a playoff game and he’s played a lot longer. He’s also a guy who’s always banged up and on the decline. That trade will mess up the market for Wentz since Howie thinks it’s now the standard. 

Carson hasn't played in a playoff game that the Eagles won, that's true, of course. But without Carson in 2017, I firmly believe that we don't own a Lombardi today. Carson can take the blame for the things that he deserves blame for, but let's also give him some credit for the greatest season that the Eagles have had in all of my years of being an Eagles fan. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I agree with both points. 

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Carson hasn't played in a playoff game that the Eagles won, that's true, of course. But without Carson in 2017, I firmly believe that we don't own a Lombardi today. Carson can take the blame for the things that he deserves blame for, but let's also give him some credit for the greatest season that the Eagles have had in all of my years of being an Eagles fan. 

14 O lines in 16 games, doesn't help either lol 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nipples said:

The concern at this point is that they hold out too long and lose the market for Wentz. Look I get that a lot of fans would like Wentz back but I've heard a number of times now that it just isn't tenable. Can you imagine now if they have to bring him back? Yikes I just don't think that's going to fly. 

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The concern at this point is that they hold out too long and lose the market for Wentz. Look I get that a lot of fans would like Wentz back but I've heard a number of times now that it just isn't tenable. Can you imagine now if they have to bring him back? Yikes I just don't think that's going to fly. 

He absolutely cannot come back at this point. You can’t have a disgruntled player in your locker room, in particular a quarterback on that massive deal. 

17 minutes ago, nipples said:

He absolutely cannot come back at this point. You can’t have a disgruntled player in your locker room, in particular a quarterback on that massive deal. 

I mean we don't know the truth at this point and how he actually feels. But there's a lot of reports now from creditable sources that are saying Wentz wants out and absolutely can't come back at this point. 

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean we don't know the truth at this point and how he actually feels. But there's a lot of reports now from creditable sources that are saying Wentz wants out and absolutely can't come back at this point. 

You'd think that if the (numerous) reports of him being disgruntled weren't true, he'd make some kind of attempt to squash those rumors.  His silence speaks volumes IMO.  It is probably best he isn't back at this point (IF they are indeed true), but I don't know that Howie's ego allows him to settle for less in return than whatever he set as the minimal expectation (whatever that may be).  So we may indeed still see Wentz here in 2021.  I hate that Howie is the one leading these efforts.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The fact that he’s still staying silent with the rumors flying about him wanting out say all that needs to be said. If he does want to be traded I couldn’t care less if he chooses to say so or not. But if he does not actually want to be traded, he’d be saying so. If he wants to be here and is still letting all of these reports go without speaking up, that’s just terrible leadership. 

On 2/13/2021 at 6:31 AM, Mr_Philly said:

Howie would be stupid to get rid of Wentz for 2 second round picks and eat 34 million in the process. 

Have to agree here.  Doesn’t sound very appealing.  May have tp package players to get the value he wants and also dump some salary.  Definitely possible as we have a few players we could move.

7 hours ago, Miami said:

Have to agree here.  Doesn’t sound very appealing.  May have tp package players to get the value he wants and also dump some salary.  Definitely possible as we have a few players we could move.

Honestly, I wouldn’t do anything and I can’t believe I’m saying this but Howie is actually playing this smart. The teams that are acquiring about Wentz don’t have a starting caliber QB so if they want one pony up.

If Stafford was worth two first round picks then Wentz is worth the same. Thank you Rams for setting the market! What has Stafford done in his career to say he is so much more superior to Wentz, Stafford is 32 and Wentz is 28, neither QB has won a playoff game and both quarterbacks look great at times and other times not so much.

If the plan is to trade Wentz I say hold your ground Howie until you get good value.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t do anything and I can’t believe I’m saying this but Howie is actually playing this smart. The teams that are acquiring about Wentz don’t have a starting caliber QB so if they want one pony up.

But I think with the Colts they have a good GM who's not going to panic and not going to over pay. They could wait this out. They could go a different route with a FA QB or they could look at trading for someone else. 

And if the Colts then pull out then that may just leave Chicago. And ok they are desperate but if they are the only ones left that weakens the Eagles position. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But I think with the Colts they have a good GM who's not going to panic and not going to over pay. They could wait this out. They could go a different route with a FA QB or they could look at trading for someone else. 

And if the Colts then pull out then that may just leave Chicago. And ok they are desperate but if they are the only ones left that weakens the Eagles position. 

Let them wait, or get another QB, honestly we don’t have to do anything. Carson is under contract, he either shows up and plays to prove he is better than what he showed last season or he sits and sulks.

Everything the Eagles have done so far has been to get him back to his MVP status. Rumor was Carson hated Doug, Doug was fired. Carson loved working with Reich, we hired his protege who runs a similar offense. It’s up to Carson now and I’m giving Howie credit (rare occurrence) for holding tight and not getting rid of Carson for nothing and eating 34 million in the process.

13 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

If Stafford was worth two first round picks then Wentz is worth the same. Thank you Rams for setting the market! What has Stafford done in his career to say he is so much more superior to Wentz, Stafford is 32 and Wentz is 28, neither QB has won a playoff game and both quarterbacks look great at times and other times not so much.

If the plan is to trade Wentz I say hold your ground Howie until you get good value.

No. The two first round picks were the incentive to take on that dumb disaster named Goff, not Stafford's actual trade value. Based on his play, Wentz doesn't garner top compensation. Two second round picks seems about right. Now, if they can push one of those into the future for a first rounder, I say do it.

7 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

Everything the Eagles have done so far has been to get him back to his MVP status. Rumor was Carson hated Doug, Doug was fired. Carson loved working with Reich, we hired his protege who runs a similar offense. It’s up to Carson now and I’m giving Howie credit (rare occurrence) for holding tight and not getting rid of Carson for nothing and eating 34 million in the process.

I don't quite see it that way. I don't think they hired Sirianni to fix Wentz. For a start Sirianni may be a Reich protégé but he isn't Reich. So there's nothing to say Wentz will get on with him and love playing for him. Also there are rumours but he's not happy with the FO and with Howie. And if the team were committed to Wentz then they'd have dispelled these rumours. They also hired a QB coach with a relationship with Hurts. I'm not saying they did that to go against Wentz but I don't think that should be completely downplayed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't quite see it that way. I don't think they hired Sirianni to fix Wentz. For a start Sirianni may be a Reich protégé but he isn't Reich. So there's nothing to say Wentz will get on with him and love playing for him. Also there are rumours but he's not happy with the FO and with Howie. And if the team were committed to Wentz then they'd have dispelled these rumours. They also hired a QB coach with a relationship with Hurts. I'm not saying they did that to go against Wentz but I don't think that should be completely downplayed.

This team doesn't seem to have a clear vision for where they want to go and a straight forward plan focused on how to get there.  They are all over the place, basically just flying by the seats of their pants.  That's starts with Lurie and extends to Howie.  The two stooges (since they lost their 3rd).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

This team doesn't seem to have a clear vision for where they want to go and a straight forward plan focused on how to get there.  They are all over the place, basically just flying by the seats of their pants.  That's starts with Lurie and extends to Howie.  The two stooges (since they lost their 3rd).  

Agreed. Look I hope that all these coaching changes now will provide a new vision and a new way forwards but they will need to be given time to do so.