Eagles not happy with Carson Wentz trade

Road to Victory

https://nypost.com/2021/02/20/eagles-not-happy-with-carson-wentz-trade/

Eagles not happy with Carson Wentz trade

February 20, 2021 | 10:28am | Updated 

Carson Wentz reintroduced the Eagles to the concept of "supply and demand.”

They had a disgruntled quarterback with a big contract coming off a season in which his passer rating plummeted at a rate unprecedented by a player in his prime since 1950. And, despite trying to drum up a competitive market, reportedly only one team made an offer.

So on Thursday Wentz was traded to the Colts for a third-round pick in 2021 and a conditional second-round pick in 2022 – it could become a first-rounder based on Wentz’s playing time – as the Bears, Broncos and Panthers sat idly by. Not exactly the return anyone would have expected Wentz to command if he was traded after his MVP-caliber season in 2017.

How did the Eagles feel about the trade package received for their former franchise quarterback?

"Not thrilled,” ESPN’s Tim McManus said Friday during a "Get Up!” appearance, according to 247Sports. "They recognize the return they got versus what they invested in [Wentz] does not match up. The reality is they were selling at a low point.

"Carson Wentz was coming off one of the worst years of his career – one of the worst years of any quarterback in the NFL last year.”

Wentz’s 72.8 passer rating in 2020 was only ahead of Jets quarterback Sam Darnold’s 72.7 mark.

Wentz is "due to make $47 million over the next two seasons and he’s got some questions about coach-ability that he needs to answer,” McManus said. "That was known throughout the league. The market was pretty warm.”

To move up from No. 13 to No. 2 and select Wentz in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Eagles made two separate trades that cost two veteran players (Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso) and four additional draft picks, including a future first-rounder. They signed him to a four-year, $128 million extension.

"There was one team really hot after him because of Frank Reich’s connection to Wentz, and that was the Colts,” McManus said. "So I don’t think the Eagles wake up happy to this, but they recognize it was fair market value – all things considered.”

"Eagles” as in players or FO personnel?  It would be nice had there been some quotes (and not from anonymous sources) to include in this piece.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

"Eagles” as in players or FO personnel?  It would be nice had there been some quotes (and not from anonymous sources) to include in this piece.  

Not the best article in the world in terms of sources but I suspect it’s true, Howie thought he was going to set the world on fire after the Stafford trade but nothing materialized. The Rams just completely overpaid. 

The Eagles as an organisation should be very unhappy with this trade.

Unhappy that 5 years ago they made savy and smart moves to move up and get a franchise QB. That the QB they picked was a guy they were absolutely enamoured with (apparently). A QB who during his rookie year showed real promise. And then in year 2 was the front runner for league MVP.

Howie, and others I'm sure, within this organisation f'ed this up. The moves they made, the decisions they made, led the organisation to this point. A point that there was no alternative to so they had to trade Wentz. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unhappy that 5 years ago they made savy and smart moves to move up and get a franchise QB. That the QB they picked was a guy they were absolutely enamoured with (apparently). A QB who during his rookie year showed real promise. And then in year 2 was the front runner for league MVP.

Howie, and others I'm sure, within this organisation f'ed this up. The moves they made, the decisions they made, led the organisation to this point. A point that there was no alternative to so they had to trade Wentz. 

I take a different approach to all of this.  Sure we gave up a lot of draft capital to get Wentz and got peanuts (relatively speaking) in regard to draft capital back for him (and lost considerable cap space for this year in the process of dealing him) ... but you know what, without him we never would have been in position to get our first ever Lombardi.  I’d be willing to give up those picks and that cap space for a Lombardi any day ... it was well worth the investment.  

• Like 5

Time to move on. they get a $30M boost in 2022 from Carson alone, a 3rd this year and a 2nd/1st next year. They have a young QB on his rookie deal over the next 3 years so, get him the top shelf help he needs at WR and O-line.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Time to move on. they get a $30M boost in 2022 from Carson alone, a 3rd this year and a 2nd/1st next year. They have a young QB on his rookie deal over the next 3 years so, get him the top shelf help he needs at WR and O-line.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Time for a happy winning moment

Spoiler

Image result for kate beckinsale happy dance gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

I take a different approach to all of this.  Sure we gave up a lot of draft capital to get Wentz and got peanuts in regard to draft capital back for him (and lost considerable cap space for this year in the process of dealing him) ... but you know what, without him we never would have been in position to get our first ever Lombardi.  I’d be willing to give up those picks and that cap space for a Lombardi any day ... it was well worth the investment.  

Oh absolutely. I'm not arguing that the trade up, the investment wasn't worth it. It was without doubt. Without Wentz I doubt this team wins the SB so it was worth it. I'm just saying that the way this has gone down since has been a mess. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely. I'm not arguing that the trade up, the investment wasn't worth it. It was without doubt. Without Wentz I doubt this team wins the SB so it was worth it. I'm just saying that the way this has gone down since has been a mess. 

No argument here.  

If the return is a First and Third, it's not so bad.  In 2016, Eagles traded a first in 2017 and a second in 2018 in exchange for a swap of first round picks in 2016 along with the Browns 3rd and 4th round picks in 2016.  There was also the heist with Miami where the Eagles dumped the contracts of Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso and moved up five spots in the first round.

The bigger disappointment is all the time and energy devoted to Wentz development just to see it blow up in the team's face.  Lion's share of the fault goes to team coaching and management on this one.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

If the return is a First and Third, it's not so bad. 

If we ignore the disastrous situation that this all became and just look at the facts I think it is a very good return. Not great but very good. I mean this is a QB who last year was bottom 3 in the league. A QB who leaves Philly after 5 years with just above .500 record and no play off win. And to add to that about 5 snaps of play off football to his name. 

6 hours ago, Procus said:

If the return is a First and Third, it's not so bad.  In 2016, Eagles traded a first in 2017 and a second in 2018 in exchange for a swap of first round picks in 2016 along with the Browns 3rd and 4th round picks in 2016.  There was also the heist with Miami where the Eagles dumped the contracts of Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso and moved up five spots in the first round.

The bigger disappointment is all the time and energy devoted to Wentz development just to see it blow up in the team's face.  Lion's share of the fault goes to team coaching and management on this one.

I’m not disappointed in how everything shook out.  In a nutshell, we surrendered a 1st and a 2nd rd draft pick (and considerable cap space lost to dead money for one year) to put us in a really good position to win that Lombardi.  Whatever transpired after that ... it’s a shame, yes, but it won’t ever take away the championship.  But from all reports, he needed to go.  And to get a 1st and 3rd back?  Icing on the cake.  The negative of the cap space lost can be balanced out by the move to get rid of Maxwell’s contract in 2016.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I couldn't disagree with you more. The problem was and is Wentz and his immaturity. What exactly did the organization do to him  - make him a starter in year 1,trade Floes away after Foles won the Super Bowl, sign him to a huge contract. Oh - I know they didn't cut someone when there was negative press about Carson from within the locker room and they drafted a back up to replace the one they traded away so Carson didn't have to look over his shoulder at Nick. Something tells me Carson never really left high school. 

What happened when the Pats drafted Garopolo - Brady went out and won 4 more super bowls. When Green Bay drafted QB's Rodgers went out and won MVP's. When the Eagles drafted a QB, Carson Wentz cratered.

7 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I couldn't disagree with you more. The problem was and is Wentz and his immaturity. What exactly did the organization do to him  - make him a starter in year 1,trade Floes away after Foles won the Super Bowl, sign him to a huge contract. Oh - I know they didn't cut someone when there was negative press about Carson from within the locker room and they drafted a back up to replace the one they traded away so Carson didn't have to look over his shoulder at Nick. Something tells me Carson never really left high school. 

What happened when the Pats drafted Garopolo - Brady went out and won 4 more super bowls. When Green Bay drafted QB's Rodgers went out and won MVP's. When the Eagles drafted a QB, Carson Wentz cratered.

That's it in a nutshell and he takes that to Indy. Their problem now. 

Personally I'm excited to see this new Eagles "vision".

51 minutes ago, nipples said:

It was good value considering the Colts were seemingly the only team interested and Wentz wanted out. 

Yeah it was good value considering. It's still a shame it had to come to this and there is a lot of blame to go around but overall it's good value. Considering he wanted out (or so we believe), considering the Colts were apparently the only team interested and then factoring in the year he's just had. 

On 2/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, Road to Victory said:

"Not thrilled,” ESPN’s Tim McManus said Friday during a "Get Up!” appearance, according to 247Sports. "They recognize the return they got versus what they invested in [Wentz] does not match up.

To move up from No. 13 to No. 2 and select Wentz in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Eagles made two separate trades that cost two veteran players (Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso) and four additional draft picks, including a future first-rounder. They signed him to a four-year, $128 million extension.

What they should have recognized was the player and what they invested didn't match up, they should have remained at pick 13 and kept the #1, I said that when they moved up to #2.

Just another example of Howie not valuing his draft picks, he gives them away like they're bubble gum......that's why we don't have a #4 this year. 

6 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

What they should have recognized was the player and what they invested didn't match up, they should have remained at pick 13 and kept the #1, I said that when they moved up to #2.

Just another example of Howie not valuing his draft picks, he gives them away like they're bubble gum......that's why we don't have a #4 this year. 

Yeah great call.  Without the trade-up, they don't get Carson Wentz.  Without Carson Wentz, there is absolutely no home field advantage and 1st round bye in the playoffs.  Without 1st round bye in the playoffs and home field advantage, Mr. BDN and the Eagles do NOT win a SuperBowl.  

**Not to mention on a side note.  Getting rid of Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso and both of their horrendous contracts to move from 13 to 8 overall was one of the best moves ever.  If you can't admit that, then you're so full of BS your diaper is gonna explode.  

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Why value picks when you don’t know how to draft? 

4 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Why value picks when you don’t know how to draft? 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, he could always luck up..... of course it looks like he mostly #**** up