Official: Eagles release Alshon Jeffery

Hawkeye

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Now we need to go after Robinson. 

You must be playing Madden Franchise with the salary cap turned off. 

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

It sucks that we're in cap hell because there's some nice FA this year

2 hours ago, What The F said:

Hopefully all of them. 

Kelce and Ertz?  I think Brandon Graham is the only one that is safe

2 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Kelce and Ertz?  I think Brandon Graham is the only one that is safe

Eagles 30 or over on the roster

Peters 39 - Retire/Cut

Kelce 33 Maybe retire?

BG 32  Stay

Curry 32  Stay/Cut?

Brooks 31 Stay

Malik Jackson 31 Stay/Cut?

Alshon 31  Gone

Lane 30 Stay

McLeod 30  Stay

Ertz 30  Trade?

Goodwin 30 Cut?

Cox 30  Stay

Slay 30  Stay 

So, I guess we will likely roll into the season with 7/8 guys 30 or over. This team seriously needs some talented youth. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, What The F said:

Peters 39 - Retire/Cut

Kelce 33 Maybe retire?

BG 32  Stay

Curry 32  Stay/Cut?

Brooks 31 Stay

Alshon 31  Gone

Lane 30 Stay

McLeod 30  Stay

Ertz 30  Trade?

Goodwin 30 Cut?

Cox 30  Stay

Slay 30  Stay 

So, I guess we will likely roll into the season with 7/8 guys 30 or over. This team seriously needs some talented youth. 

Ah true, I thought some of them were 29 still lol....either way definitely gonna be a youth movement. 

5 hours ago, DBW said:

Lurie: how do you intend to fix the team and make us perennial contenders again?

howie: simple, I’m going to undo every single thing I did for the last 4.5 years

lurie: I love it

Sometimes players don't get better over time?   

Giving players, as they age and get worse, periodic raises, does not really seem like the best way to go,  but they are known quantities, and popular players.  I tend to think that expensive dline is fine, should be restructured, as well as the oline, generally.   There are players who will need to be cut, traded or restructured. 

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

This was expected following the recent restructure of his contract.  It helped us by freeing up some cap space and it helps him ... the new contract calls for us to pay him $25M for the 2022 season if he is still on the roster when the new league year starts.  It gives him a guarantee we’ll release him rather than hold on to him and attempt to trade him.  

Malik Jackson will also be cut for the same reason.

The combination of the Jeffrey cut and the Malik Jackson cut will save the Eagles $21 Million off the cap this year. 

That right there, those 2 cuts, takes care of half of the over the cap problem the Eagles have.  Those 2 cuts, pretty much,  make it so, with restructuring, they can get under the cap without getting rid of anybody else.  But they might want some cap room to do some things, like sign rookies,  but the Eagles need to get under the cap by 3/17, they can do more things after that.  

34 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Sometimes players don't get better over time?   

Giving players, as they age and get worse, periodic raises, does not really seem like the best way to go,  but they are known quantities, and popular players.  I tend to think that expensive dline is fine, should be restructured, as well as the oline, generally.   There are players who will need to be cut, traded or restructured. 

I don’t have receipts, but Alshon being re-signed that year was pretty well received if I remember right. His huge decline & injury issues was surprising.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I don’t have receipts, but Alshon being re-signed that year was pretty well received if I remember right. His huge decline & injury issues was surprising.

Re-sign after SB was well received, as it should have been.  The extension after that...there were those who just cheered on anything, but a lot of people questioned that one.

55 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I would guess that long term contracts for vets are better in the beginning of the contract than in the end.  I'm not trying to make the case that any particular move was a bad one. 

It's just that certain results come from certain actions, I'm not saying those actions  shouldn't have been taken because all the results weren't always great,  may be well have been the best choice, or an acceptably good choice.

I mean this isn't exactly news as we knew this was coming. When they restructured Jeffrey's and M.Jackson's deals we knew that they were going to cut them. Both players agreed to those restructured deals so they could get out at the beginning of FA and give themselves the best chance of getting a move that they want with a good contract to go with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, What The F said:

Peters 39 - Retire/Cut

Kelce 33 Maybe retire?

BG 32  Stay

Curry 32  Stay/Cut?

Brooks 31 Stay

Alshon 31  Gone

Lane 30 Stay

McLeod 30  Stay

Ertz 30  Trade?

Goodwin 30 Cut?

Cox 30  Stay

Slay 30  Stay 

If they’re in full rebuild mode many of these guys will have to go.  This is shaping up like a complete tear down.  It’s all about clearing space for ‘22.  If they’re gonna eat dead money  this is the year to do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

If they’re in full rebuild mode many of these guys will have to go.  This is shaping up like a complete tear down.  It’s all about clearing space for ‘22.  If they’re gonna eat dead money  this is the year to do it.

Absolutely yes! That is key to this. They need to clear the roster, clear the cap and eat the dead money this year because they know they aren't going to be competitive.

23 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Yeah, that's the truth. But if you ask me, I couldn't wait for Jeffery to get out of the door, rebuild or not.

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely yes! That is key to this. They need to clear the roster, clear the cap and eat the dead money this year because they know they aren't going to be competitive.

Exactly. 

Cox, Johnson, Brooks and maybe Kelce stay. 

Ertz, Slay, Barnett, Curry, Graham?  They're all goners, one way or another. 

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Exactly. 

Barnett is 24 and even if he tests free agency he's unlikely to get an astronomical offer,  I'd say he's one that survives and my money would be on Johnson only staying to maintain some continuity if Kelce retires and maybe not even then, he wasn't great last season even when he was healthy which wasn't very often.

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I am pretty sure Slay will stay. And I think Graham might stay too.

10 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Malik Jackson will also be cut for the same reason.

The combination of the Jeffrey cut and the Malik Jackson cut will save the Eagles $21 Million off the cap this year. 

That right there, those 2 cuts, takes care of half of the over the cap problem the Eagles have.  Those 2 cuts, pretty much,  make it so, with restructuring, they can get under the cap without getting rid of anybody else.  But they might want some cap room to do some things, like sign rookies,  but the Eagles need to get under the cap by 3/17, they can do more things after that.  

They have to cut Malik for the same reason they will cut Jeffery ... their restructured deals contain a clause that they will pay them $25M for the 2021 season if they are on the roster for the start of the league year.  That gives them the guarantee they will indeed be cut early so they can look for employment elsewhere (and not drag this out thinking they can trade them).  And the cap savings is a hair off ... it yields $18.8M in immediate savings (with additional savings to be realized after June 1st).  It is all outlined in the link below. 

And you can bet they will cut Goodwin - that yields another $4.23M in cap relief.  Have to believe Ertz is gone too - another $4.7M.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Exactly. 

I guess the issue they have with some of those players is what is the cap hit if they trade them? Some of them the cap hit will be very low but what about someone like Slay?

Curry is gone anyway isn't he? He was only on a one year deal?

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

They have to cut Malik for the same reason they will cut Jeffery ... their restructured deals contain a clause that they will pay them $25M for the 2021 season if they are on the roster for the start of the league year.  That gives them the guarantee they will indeed be cut early so they can look for employment elsewhere (and not drag this out thinking they can trade them).  And the cap savings is a hair off ... it yields $18.8M in immediate savings (with additional savings to be realized after June 1st).  It is all outlined in the link below. 

And you can bet they will cut Goodwin - that yields another $4.23M in cap relief.  Have to believe Ertz is gone too - another $4.7M.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz

Ertz they may try and get a 5th off someone but at this stage after eating Wentz dead money alongside the hole we were already in capwise other teams know we need money off the books fast and will cut if we can't trade.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I guess the issue they have with some of those players is what is the cap hit if they trade them? Some of them the cap hit will be very low but what about someone like Slay?

Curry is gone anyway isn't he? He was only on a one year deal?

If they trade Slay they save $6 million in cap space but have to eat almost $10 million in dead money.  They can do a post-June designation and save even more but that would push money into '22 which is what they're trying to avoid.

Yes, Curry is a UFA and it's hard to see him coming back at this point. 

15 hours ago, Portyansky said:

With what money? Shedding Alshon’s contract and the other vets that are sure to be let go is just to get out from being OVER the cap. They still aren’t going to be able to afford Robinson or really any decent free agents. 

2022 should be good, but we’re not getting any reinforcements other than the draft this year. 

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I am pretty sure Slay will stay. And I think Graham might stay too.

Hard to see. Slay was a below-average cornerback last year and Graham is on the wrong side of 32. Moreover, they have a combined cap hit of almost $34 million dollars. 

Why not clear that out now and continue with the rebuild? It's a lost season and Howie seems focused on getting out from under all these bad deals.