Nightmare on Broad Street - Howie's Horrors

eaglesfan0075

I envision this mock draft more as an indictment of Howie's tendencies to try to outsmart everyone in the room, a.k.a. I am MOCKING the Eagles draft, so without further adieu, I present to you:

Rnd 1 - Rashawn Slater OT/G Northwestern - BOOOOO! With Penei Sewell going off the board in the top 5, Slater becomes the top OL available and has positional versatility to pay guard as well. This is definitely the classic Howie reach in the 1st round selection right here, not the BPA, but Howie is unlikely to admit to missing at WR with his last few early picks and historically this team values OL, DL, and QB with their top 10 selections. Slater can be the day 1 LT or slide over to LG in the short term if Mailata secures the starting LT job. Lane Johnson isn't getting any younger and the team needs to figure out RT as well. Andre Dillard is still very much an unknown and could be the odd man out.

Rnd 2 - Asante Samuel Jr. CB Florida State - Sure we could draft a CB that's over 6'0, but you know that isn't how Howie likes to do things. Size jokes aside, Samuel Jr. is a ballhawk in the same vein of his father and is supposedly a better tackler too. The Eagles have already conducted a Zoom meeting with him in the pre-draft process, so the interest is likely real. This pick isn't as much of a reach as the Slater selection, but I personally would have preferred one of the taller CBs here.

Rnd 3 - Kyle Trask QB Florida - Here we go again with the QB factory. Trask could potentially go in the 2nd round if a team likes him enough, but he makes it to Round 3 in this mock draft and is reunited with his former OC/QB coach Brian Johnson (who also has ties to Jalen Hurts). 

Rnd 3 (IND) - Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State - Wallace adds more of the speed element to this WR core but does have a bit of an injury history which causes him to fall to Round 3.

Rnd 5 - Ar'Darius Washington S TCU - At only 5'8, Washington is definitely undersized compared to most safeties and falls in the draft as a result. However, he was part of a formidable safety tandem along with Trevon Moehrig, who is in the running to be the first safety drafted this year, at TCU. At the very least he should be in the mix to be the 3rd safety as a rookie, and could potentially compete for a starting job down the road

Rnd 5 (DAL) - Rhamondre Stevenson RB Oklahoma - The Eagles finally get their big power back to complement Miles Sanders and give him a breather. If the Eagles let Jordan Howard walk, Stevenson can come right in and fill his role.

Rnd 6 - Joshua Kaindoh DE Florida State - Kaindoh has ideal size, but is still a raw prospect coming out of Florida State and like Josh Sweat, he does have a bit of an injury history that will cause him to fall in the draft

Rnd 6 (comp) - Jimmy Morrissey C Pittsburgh - Jason Kelce isn't getting any younger and the Eagles need to groom their C of the future

Rnd 7 - Josh Pederson TE Louisiana-Monroe - Why not bring in more controversy and draft Doug Pederson's kid to be the TE2? In all seriousness, Jeff Lurie supposedly holds Coach Pederson still in high regard despite letting him go and Zach Ertz is likely gone this offseason.

you hit the nail on the head - a horror show

I like Slater.  If he can trade down and pick up another 2nd rounder, I'm all for that. Guy is a beast.

Also, Trask is hands down the most likely QB to drop.  He was a product of his WRs IMO. 

Pitts is the #1 TE in the country and #4 WR IMO.  I sincerely think he is a better WR than Moore or Bateman.   

Toney is the 7th best WR in the draft IMO.  Chase, Smith, Waddle, Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Toney, Wallace, Brown.  Grimes is the 16th or so. 

Without those three, Trask looks like he did in the Oklahoma game more than the Alabama game on a regular basis. I do not see him as a top 25 QB in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

I like Slater.  If he can trade down and pick up another 2nd rounder, I'm all for that. Guy is a beast.

Also, Trask is hands down the most likely QB to drop.  He was a product of his WRs IMO. 

Pitts is the #1 TE in the country and #4 WR IMO.  I sincerely think he is a better WR than Moore or Bateman.   

Toney is the 7th best WR in the draft IMO.  Chase, Smith, Waddle, Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Toney, Wallace, Brown.  Grimes is the 16th or so. 

Without those three, Trask looks like he did in the Oklahoma game more than the Alabama game on a regular basis. I do not see him as a top 25 QB in the NFL. 

I agree with your points. If the Eagles are targeting Slater specifically rather than reacting to how the draft board shakes up at 6, trading down a few spots before Dallas makes sense. Pitts is really intriguing if you evaluate him as WR rather than a TE. Size wouldn't be an issue for him at 6'6 and 240 lbs, he'd be the ideal size for an XWR, but speed might be? I would consider Pitts at 6 if both Chase and Smith are off the board, but would be hard pressed to pass up on one of these natural WRs for a TE being converted to WR based on athleticism.

This mock was more predicting how Howie could do things rather than my personal preferences. Looking back at it now, we could actually do worse than this on draft day 😆

I would personally prefer one of Chase, Smith, Sewell, or Pitts at 6, a taller CB in round 2, one of those 3rd rounders used on a safety, not blowing a 3rd round pick on Trask, etc...