NFL Looking at Tinkering with OT (Again...)

EaglesRocker97

7 hours ago, green22 said:

My understanding is, Team A picks the yard line the offense gets the ball at, and that isn't tied to a particular team or side of the field. Like, if Team A picks that the offense will start at its 'Own 10', Team B has to decide whether they want to be the offense with the ball at their Own 10, or if they want to be the defense with Team A starting at its Own 10.

I'm not sure how they decide which direction each team is defending (i.e. who gets to play with the wind), but that's the only way this makes sense to me.

But then wouldn't the team picking the yard line always select the 50, and neutralize the decision to be on offense or defense as much as possible?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

No Wally no!

This is football, not horse. :facepalm: 

The idea of that makes it trickier for a team to automatically go last in an OT when possible, especially if you have a team that can score from the 40 on one play easily.  

6 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

The idea of that makes it trickier for a team to automatically go last in an OT when possible, especially if you have a team that can score from the 40 on one play easily.  

It’s still a stupid idea. Offenses are structured differently and shouldn’t be required to score the same 6 points just because the other team is more quick strike designed and the second team is more of a grind it out offense. 

Horrible idea. 

• Like 1

Stupid idea.  Eventually, every team will pick the same yard line.  You’re always gonna tend to go on offense anyway.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s still a stupid idea. Offenses are structured differently and shouldn’t be required to score the same 6 points just because the other team is more quick strike designed and the second team is more of a grind it out offense. 

Horrible idea. 

That's the idea.  If you have an offense that you think can force the other team to score in fewer than four plays because you did, than you want to go first.  It becomes a chess game in that regard. 

31 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

That's the idea.  If you have an offense that you think can force the other team to score in fewer than four plays because you did, than you want to go first.  It becomes a chess game in that regard. 

It’s still ridiculous. It’s glorified horse. If the slow plodding offense goes first and scores in 15 plays, should the second team be required to take more plays than they need? Of course not. This is football. Team A should not be required to conform to the typical methods of Team B. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s still ridiculous. It’s glorified horse. If the slow plodding offense goes first and scores in 15 plays, should the second team be required to take more plays than they need? Of course not. This is football. Team A should not be required to conform to the typical methods of Team B. 

Again, you miss the point.  If you have a quick-strike offense against a plodding offense in OT and you have the choice of going first or last, you may decide to go first and score quickly to put the pressure on the other guys.  Of course, the plodding team could go first, score in 10 plays or so and the quick-strike offense still gets the equalizer in far fewer plays.

The idea is, in that situation, it becomes a game of chess.  Do you go first or last if you are a polar opposite offense from your opponent?  Or do go you last and hope your defense at least slows them down enough that it takes at least four plays for them to score so you don't have to do it in 1-3 plays?  That would be a HUGE part of the strategy for OT the way I would do it.

6 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Again, you miss the point.  If you have a quick-strike offense against a plodding offense in OT and you have the choice of going first or last, you may decide to go first and score quickly to put the pressure on the other guys.  Of course, the plodding team could go first, score in 10 plays or so and the quick-strike offense still gets the equalizer in far fewer plays.

The idea is, in that situation, it becomes a game of chess.  Do you go first or last if you are a polar opposite offense from your opponent?  Or do go you last and hope your defense at least slows them down enough that it takes at least four plays for them to score so you don't have to do it in 1-3 plays?  That would be a HUGE part of the strategy for OT the way I would do it.

I’m not missing your point at all. I’m calling out how ridiculous it is. Any way you slice it, you’re suggesting an NFL overtime be turned into a children’s game of horse. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Seems like a lot of nonsense for that 1 or 2 games you might be in overtime. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:34 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

It would be funny though if a team got confused with the new rules and picked defense after the 1st team picked the 1 yard line 😂

And that's exactly how we'd end up right back here a year later to debate another genius proposal. The Saints have already proven that if you whine enough about how unfair the rules are because they hurt you personally, then you get your way. Of course, the Saints are golden boys to the league, so everyone might not be afforded the same privilege.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:02 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

The more I think of this, the more it hits me something doesn’t make sense. Maybe I’m missing something here.

Obviously, all yard lines 1-49 have two on the field. So the team winning the coin toss to pick the yard line, (Team A for the sake of argument) would have to specify their own or the opponent’s yard line, (again assuming no one ever picks the 50). 

In this case, why isn’t Team A always picking Team B’s 1 yard line every time? Forcing them to drive 99 yards, or if they’re dumb enough to pick defense, allowing you to start OT on their 1. 

I feel like there is something I’m missing here. 

The fact it requires so much thought to just figure it out how the hell it would basically work just shows that it's a terrible idea.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

No Wally no!

Bad Wally! Bad!!! :chair:

• Haha 1

IMO you give the home team the ball on their own 20 and play sudden death. 

forget the kickoff. Forget a coin toss. Home field advantage means you get the ball (or choice, I suppose).  If that teams goes 40-50 yards and kicks a FG, oh well

How about put Team A's offense and Team B's defense on one side of the field, and Team B's offense and Team A's offense on the other side of the field at the same time, and see which team scores first while playing simultaneously. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RUEagle said:

forget the kickoff. Forget a coin toss. Home field advantage means you get the ball (or choice, I suppose).  If that teams goes 40-50 yards and kicks a FG, oh well

I love the KO and am really sad that they appear to be phasing it out, but I'd take this over any other proposed format. At least it's straightforward.

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I love the KO and am really sad that they appear to be phasing it out, but I'd take this over any other proposed format. At least it's straightforward.

Unfortunately that 25 yard line starting position for a touchback was the kiss of death.  Moving the kickoff up 5 yards hurt it significantly also

Should have just stuck with the original rules

More chances to screw teams over in the name of views and ratings

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 10:23 PM, xzmattzx said:

But then wouldn't the team picking the yard line always select the 50, and neutralize the decision to be on offense or defense as much as possible?

Exactly. They already defer opening coin tosses. This would just add to that ridiculousness.

I think they should adopt a soccer style "stop time” system where there’s a sudden death OT period equal to something...what that is I’m not sure, maybe tie it in to a factor of time of possession, but essentially the length of OT could be variable based on factors of the game.  And just keep playing.  If it’s a tie game, and a team is driving, when the clock hits zero, just extend it from that point, with whatever the stop time is, and sudden death from that point. Then there’s no unfairness with a coin flip and dumb kick off rules and "everyone has to get a turn” crybaby BS.  It would add extra thought into clock management and incentivize good coaching, not dumb luck of a coin flip. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, RUEagle said:

This can work in Playoffs. I don't think this works in regular season because games/stadiums are already predetermined. 

On 3/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, Mike030270 said:

Should have just stuck with the original rules

More chances to screw teams over in the name of views and ratings

How OT should be: 15 minutes with only a TD or safety on first possession ending game in OT. Also kickoffs from 30 yard line (touchbacks to 20 yard line)..