Eagles likely to play Jalen Hurts, Carson Wentz on the field together

Procus

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/24/eagles-likely-to-play-jalen-hurts-carson-wentz-on-the-field-together/

Eagles likely to play Jalen Hurts, Carson Wentz on the field together

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 24, 2020, 9:01 PM EDT

When the Eagles drafted former Oklahoma and Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts in the second round, they may have given Carson Wentz a new backup. But more likely, they gave Wentz a target he can throw and hand off to this season.

Hurts seems likely to play a role in the Eagles’ offense similar to the role Taysom Hill plays in New Orleans: Sometimes running, sometimes receiving, sometimes passing. Eagles quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Press Taylor hinted last year that he’d like a player to play that role, saying that he believes the future of offensive football includes having two passers on the field simultaneously.

"I think at some point, one of the big things will be having multiple people on the field who can throw the ball,” Taylor said. "That’s something going forward … You’ve seen the ‘Philly Special,’ you’ve seen all different versions of double passes. I think at some point I can see something like that coming into play.”

Taylor is intrigued by quarterbacks who have the athletic ability to play running back or wide receiver, but also have a good arm.

"You get these guys coming out of college that were dual-threat quarterbacks who had to transition to receiver and different things like that,” Taylor said. "It’s just a way to get your best players onto the field and threaten the defense in the most ways possible.”

Hurts certainly qualifies as a dual-threat quarterback: Last year at Oklahoma he passed for 3,851 yards and 32 touchdowns, and ran for 1,298 yards and 20 touchdowns. This year in Philadelphia, expect a creative approach to getting Hurts involved.

It’s funny the want a guy like Hurts to run trick plays when they hardly ran any trick plays last year.

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

We literally already have that guy in Ward.

Even the dumbest explanations of this pick make no sense.

There could be three passers on the field at the same time in that case.  Instead of freaking out, let's see what happens.

How many crappy safeties and linebackers have the Eagles drafted in the 2nd round through the years?   Let this one play out.  It's a high pick, but it's still a low second rounder.

Snap to Hurts, Hurts laterals deep to Ward, Ward laterals deep across the field to Wentz... Ward and Hurts go out for a pass. Wentz holds on to the ball too long, throws the ball deep to Hurts into traffic who gets knocked out helmet to helmet (but he held on), during the pass Wentz exposing his mid section gets hit hard breaking a rib. 

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤪🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

2 hours ago, Quiet Boy said:

There the Eagles go being the smartest guys in the room again.

You mean like a couple of years ago when they were the smartest guys in the room?

See here's my issue... They want someone they can be creative with but so far bar 2017 I'm not really sure this coaching staff has shown it is all that creative? We have a perception that it is but... Well I'm not sure it is now.

I guess all I can say about drafting Hurts in the 2nd round is that I look forward to the day when I can look back and say what a great pick it was......because right now, In my opinion, it stands out like a sore thumb in an otherwise pretty good draft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I guess all I can say about drafting Hurts in the 2nd round is that I look forward to the day when I can look back and say what a great pick it was......because right now, In my opinion, it stands out like a sore thumb in an otherwise pretty good draft.

Yeah I'll echo those thoughts actually. It's a bad pick in what on paper looks a pretty good draft. 

You wanna do trick plays we already have a college QB on the team lol. Ward. There is no justifying this pick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

You wanna do trick plays we already have a college QB on the team lol. Ward. There is no justifying this pick.

A player who they've had around the team for years yet they've tried one trick play. A trick play that didn't even ask Ward to throw the ball and quite frankly was a bit of a waste of time. 

On 4/25/2020 at 12:37 AM, Portyansky said:

Snap to Hurts, Hurts laterals deep to Ward, Ward laterals deep across the field to Wentz... Ward and Hurts go out for a pass. Wentz holds on to the ball too long, throws the ball deep to Hurts into traffic who gets knocked out helmet to helmet (but he held on), during the pass Wentz exposing his mid section gets hit hard breaking a rib. 

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤪🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Did you submit this play to Laurie yet?  When is his deadline?