March Madness Mock

Slade

Hey gang what an offseason who would've truly believed this time last year that the Eagles would be where they are now. I would've put good money against it. But it is what it is. This team is in rebuild mode now and smart choses need to be made to keep and acquire talent that fits the long term plan. Some feelings are going to be hurt, but this is a business and the team comes first.

As of today 3/10 the team is still -26.8m over the cap

Trades:

1. Fletcher Cox DT - There's a reason why the FO has not had any rumors about approaching Fletcher to restructure his deal. Let's face it Fletcher is 31 years old and history shows a considerable drop for guys at his position and I feel this is the only chance to get real value for him. Vegas offers #48 and #121 for Cox and #156. 2.8m savings

2. Zach Ertz TE - Always loved this pick and I knew he would be a play maker however his attitude and play has pushed him to the point that this marriage is over. Chargers offer #118. 4.9m savings.

3. Brandon Brooks OG - A true stud and a dominate force when healthy on the right side, but he's been often injured and just can't be relied upon moving forward with a young mobile QB looing for stable set of blockers in front of him. Seattle offers #129. 2.3m in savings

Restructure/Extension:

1. Brandon Graham DE - He's getting up their in age, but is a team leader and still very productive, his biggest asset is taking the young guys under his wings and show them the way. His restructure saves $12m in cap space.

2. Derek Barnett DE - I believe he is a decent young talent that has a high motor and is someone that be counted on to leave everything on the field. Yes he hasn't lived up to his 1st round selection but he has shown enough to keep in house. 3 year 30 million deal that frees up 5m for 2021.

3. Lane Johnson RT - If he can return healthy he is still a top 5 OT and a valuable leader. Restructuring saves 7m

4. Javon Hargrave DT - He will now be the #1 guy on the interior but the team needs some more flexibility 9.4m

5. Richard Rodgers TE - Showed he can be reliable option and a solid #2 TE. 2 year deal 7m

6. Jalen Mills SS - A leader on the defense and physical player who started at a new position and played half decent at times. Plus he brings versatility in emergency situations and can move to CB in a bind. 1 year 4m

Cuts:

Marquis Goodwin WR, Graig James CB, Alshon Jeffrey, Malik Jackson, Rodney Mcleod (post June 1st)  = 9.8m savings

Free Agency: Roughly 22+ in cap space

1. Jacoby Brissett QB - Jacoby knows Nick's system and can help Hurts while not really offering a true threat to him. 2 years 9m.

2. Malik Hooker FS - Like Jacoby he knows Gannon and the system he will bring. Malik is when healthy a top talent he just needs to stay on field he's still young at 24 and he would come in and start at FS which talent wise is a huge improvement. 1 year 5m

3. Corey Davis WR - I see him as a definite upgrade for the XWR and believe he's just starting to reach his potential. I think there's quite enough talent at WR already but the crew will need a veteran to stabilize the unit. 3 years 20m.

Draft:

Trade! Chicago is desperate to get their QB and two are available. Eagles receive 2021 #20, 52, 2022 1st and 3rd. Chicago gets 2020 #6 and #156.

1(#20). Jaelen Phillips DE - A former five star and the #1 recruit out of high school in the nation. Jaelen has had his dealings with adversity in his career with once walking away from football due to injuries. But he came back for his last year of eligibility for one season at the U and he demonstrated flashes of greatness. With Graham aging and Curry gone the need is there for a young rotational edge rusher to push Sweat and Barnett on the right but someone to rotate with on left with Graham. The Eagles have always valued lineman on both side above all but QB and this goes with their historical philosophy. Jaelen size, ability and versatility will allow him to play multiple spots along the d-line to keep o-lines guessing. No edge rusher in the draft has a higher ceiling then him.

2a((#37) Eric Stokes CB - Tall rangy outside corner with smooth hips and amazing back pedal. Eric recently ran supposedly a 4.25 flat 40, even if that slight skewed I do believe after watching him more closely he's actually got some speed and recover ability. He would benefit greatly from Slay and not have to feel the pressure immediately to be the #1CB but in some time I believe he will.

2b(#48) Wyatt Davis OG - Another former 5 star recruit now for the other side of the trenches. Wyatt is a plug N play guard with amazing mobility, strength and athleticism. He'll dominate at the point of attack, shed that to the next level and destroy a LB. The o-line desperately needs an infusion of young talent especially on the right side of the line. 

2c(#52)  Richie Grant SS - The Eagles secondary must be rebuilt this offseason and fielding a less then mediocre specimen with no potential for years now is unacceptable. Richie is a playmaker and a prototypical SS in todays NFL. He's rangy and instinctive safety that's willing and able to deliver a heck of a hit, a decent tackler.

3a(#69) Jabril Cox SLB - Love this kid and is probably my favorite player in the draft! Jabril is an athletic freak with prototypical size and range for an OLB. If Gannon plans to start Singleton in the middle than having someone like this beside him will help a lot. By accounts he is a humble team first high character guy that the team can build a defense around and provide the next generation of Eagles player leadership. 

3b(#84) Jay Tufele DT - Explosive off the snap like a bullet out of a gun, his game reminds me of a bigger Aaron Donald. Jay is such a disruptive interior pass rusher that I see him becoming a big name in the years to come. He is aggressive and use his hands well to shed blockers and once he is in the backfield watch out he has amazing lateral ability, can change direction easily and his pursuit is top notch.

4a(#118) Dyami Brown WR - Dynamic threat with a devastating release off the line his open field burst is something to account for. A former star recruit Dyami offers a lethal weapon from the slot who can break it vertically and tracks ball with above average ability. Needs to work on his route running and his drops, but him and Reagor would give Hurts legit deep threat options. 

4b(#121) Trey Sermen RB - Finally the big running back this offense currently lacks. Trey has the build and ability to be a three down back, but he would be best used in a tandem with Sanders IMO. Physical and hard to bring down he display excellent ball security and the toughness needed in short yardage situations. 

4c(#129) Rodarius Williams CB - The secondary's depth has been an issue for 3 years now and this year I would like to see a real focus to address it. Rodarius is an outside corner that is a bit raw but his a smooth athlete who gets out of his breaks quickly. Needs to work on his read and react skills and not biting on double moves, but the talent is there.

5(#150) Robert Hainsey RT - 3 year starter at RT but also versatile enough to play all across the line. Lane Johnson recent injury history and with amount of players lost throughout the year shows the importance of quality depth. 

6a(#188) Tre' McKitty TE - Former 4 star recruit who has all the tools but injuries and a lack of production drops him down. Very good blocker and he will be needed in short yard and goal situations.

6b(#222) Tedarrell Slayton DT - Huge 6'5 330+ lbs. that can rotate with Hargrave and provide a stout run defender in the middle.

6c(#223) Rashad Weaver DE - Depth that can used in obvious running situations, not much of pass rusher.

7(#232) Deommodore Lenoir CB - Addressing depth at an area of major concern over the years.

Depth Chart:

QB - Hurts, Brissett

WR - Davis, Reagor, Brown, Fulgham, Hightower, Watkins

TE - Goedert, Rodgers, McKitty

RB - Sanders, Sermon, Scott

LT - Dillard, Mailata

LG - Seumalo, Herbig

OC - Kelce

RG - Davis, Driscoll, Pryor

RT - Johnson, Hainsey

DE - Graham, Barnett, Sweat, Phillips, Weaver

DT - Hargrave, Tufele, Ridgeway, Slayton

SLB - Cox, Avery, Bradley

MLB - Singleton, Edwards

WLB - Taylor, Riley

CB - Slay, Stokes, Williams, Lenoir

Nickle - Maddox, Leblanc

FS - Hooker, Wallace

SS - Mills. Grant, Epps

KR - Brown

PR - Stokes

Overview:

Offense - With Hurts at QB who seems more inclined to find his outside WRs as opposed to the TEs that CW was prone to. I think it important to find a veteran for the XWR and Davis can be that go to guy. Reagor at ZWR with a year under his belt I believe will come into his and become a true playmaker and deep threat DCs will have to account for. Brown would be a huge threat from the slot that would be deadly in space. Goedert would face single coverage with the speed on the field and own the middle. With defenses having to at least respect the receivers I can see a powerful running game behind this younger and stronger line providing balance for a young QB.

Defense -  I clearly feel that defense needed the most help and tried to address every level of it and added those to fit the new scheme. The defensive line will be weaken with the loss of Cox but overall does manage to shed or rework high contracts while getting much younger. Linebackers are still a concern but Cox and Taylor are athletic freaks and Singleton is an instinctive leader so there's finally hope for better play. The secondary too gets a much needed infusion of true talent with several new potential starters and Slay won't have to be the only guy out there. IMO a young defense with long term potential who over time can have a few studs come through is what's best for Hurts and his development not having to be the hero just the leader.

I understand that's a lot of players to add to this roster but with the cap situation this team keeps putting itself in it will need young cheap replacements across the board. The Eagles coaching staff are a bunch of teachers let them to their thing. The best part is if Hurts doesn't look like he can step up to the challenge they'll have plenty of draft capital to move up for anyone they like next year.

2022 Picks 6 in the first 3 rounds

1st round - 2 perhaps 3

2nd round - 1 perhaps 2

3rd round - 2

This is the type of effort I love from the boards.  I will eventually do one here before FA starts.

Anyway, love the work prior to the draft. I think your numbers are low though. I feel all of those players are going to receive higher salaries.  Brissett has starting experience, so you're probably looking at Keenum / Foles / Taylor pay, or about $6.5-7M per year for a 2 year deal.

I think Hooker would end up around $6-7M on a 2nd contract, a la Vonn Bell, Eric Murray, Micah Hyde, etc. With his age, a bunch of teams are going to be involved there in a bidding war. Everyone sees the potential.

Corey Davis turned it on at times last year. At least the $9-9.5M/year that Crowder, Cobb and Sammy Watkins got 2019-2020.  Your number actually eliminates a raise and puts him in line with Willie Snead, Breshad Perriman, Cole Beasley, etc.   Crowder went 29/400/2  his final year before FA.  Davis went 65/1000/5. Definitely sitting on a raise.

Do the numbers work still? 

14 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

This is the type of effort I love from the boards.  I will eventually do one here before FA starts.

Anyway, love the work prior to the draft. I think your numbers are low though. I feel all of those players are going to receive higher salaries.  Brissett has starting experience, so you're probably looking at Keenum / Foles / Taylor pay, or about $6.5-7M per year for a 2 year deal.

I think Hooker would end up around $6-7M on a 2nd contract, a la Vonn Bell, Eric Murray, Micah Hyde, etc. With his age, a bunch of teams are going to be involved there in a bidding war. Everyone sees the potential.

Corey Davis turned it on at times last year. At least the $9-9.5M/year that Crowder, Cobb and Sammy Watkins got 2019-2020.  Your number actually eliminates a raise and puts him in line with Willie Snead, Breshad Perriman, Cole Beasley, etc.   Crowder went 29/400/2  his final year before FA.  Davis went 65/1000/5. Definitely sitting on a raise.

Do the numbers work still? 

Very good points! I look at it from the perspective that with a depressed salary cap you're going to get a buyers market which in theory should push down contracts for 2nd and 3rd tier players. Hooker and Davis especially are going to see a supply vs demand issue will the available talent set to be free agents and what is to offer in the draft. Now having said that I can see a small increase in the contract amounts but not much with Covid still in play.

@Slade

Love all five of the R2 & 3 additions, which is a big argument in favour of the Eagles trading back in the actual draft. I'd be amazed if Wyatt Davis lasts to #48 though, the Eagles would be very lucky to get him at #37 IMO.

Not quite so thrilled about investing #20 in a player who '... has had his dealings with adversity in his career with once walking away from football due to injuries.'  I still remember them taking Fireman Danny in R1, so I'd want someone that is 100% committed to football at #20.

1 hour ago, Couch Potato said:

@Slade

Love all five of the R2 & 3 additions, which is a big argument in favour of the Eagles trading back in the actual draft. I'd be amazed if Wyatt Davis lasts to #48 though, the Eagles would be very lucky to get him at #37 IMO.

Not quite so thrilled about investing #20 in a player who '... has had his dealings with adversity in his career with once walking away from football due to injuries.'  I still remember them taking Fireman Danny in R1, so I'd want someone that is 100% committed to football at #20.

Indeed! At 20 I’d target someone like Bateman or Horn and revisit DE in the 2nd with Perkins, Oweh, Weaver.

34 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed! At 20 I’d target someone like Bateman or Horn and revisit DE in the 2nd with Perkins, Oweh, Weaver.

I would be open to the Eagles taking the linebacker out of notre dame at that area too. I think he is severely underrated. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I would be open to the Eagles taking the linebacker out of notre dame at that area too. I think he is severely underrated. 

What’s in a name?! Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. Hybrid LB/S. But you’re right. Indeed a player you should target in that area.

Welcome back Slade - thanks for the read, appreciate it 

On 3/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, Slade said:

Very good points! I look at it from the perspective that with a depressed salary cap you're going to get a buyers market which in theory should push down contracts for 2nd and 3rd tier players. Hooker and Davis especially are going to see a supply vs demand issue will the available talent set to be free agents and what is to offer in the draft. Now having said that I can see a small increase in the contract amounts but not much with Covid still in play.

13.5M/year for Corey Davis. 2 year deal with 27M guaranteed, plus then the optional third year the team has. 

Brissett with $5M (closer to your number) with incentives for an additional 2.5M (probably based on snaps/starts) in incentives, which would push it to $7.5M (closer to my number lol). I would say you were right with this one. Surprised they didn't push for a higher base salary. $5M is really low on the scale of backups with winning experience.

We'll have to wait on Hooker's contact.