Eagles Extend Brandon Graham

time2rock

I like Graham a lot. He's not the best, but hes sort of like a long term stop gap, and the contract is reasonable for his age and production. Reminds me a lot of Brent Celek... doesn't make a whole lot of pro bowls, but his presence improves the team in the most general sense.

Plus He represents the Eagles well, so I'm happy hes sticking around a bit longer

• Like 3

Meh this one I don't mind so much. Spread the cap over an extra year, free up space now and who knows BG may still play the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

These veterans are gonna be on the payroll through 2030 the way Howie is going. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Meh this one I don't mind so much. Spread the cap over an extra year, free up space now and who knows BG may still play the next couple of years. 

My thoughts exactly.  Knock on wood, but with how much this team has dealt with injuries the past few years, he has been durable.  And is still playing at a high level.  Also a really good locker room presence.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I like Graham a lot. He's not the best, but hes sort of like a long term stop gap, and the contract is reasonable for his age and production. Reminds me a lot of Brent Celek... doesn't make a whole lot of pro bowls, but his presence improves the team in the most general sense.

Plus He represents the Eagles well, so I'm happy hes sticking around a bit longer

If I were to get a current players jersey, it would probably be his. I generally discourage people from getting current players jerseys, but in this case, it would be ok for me... for a couple of reasons...

1.) Strip Sack
2.) 55 was my little league (CYO) number when I played back in the early 80's (and won a championship with an 8-0 record)

Of course, I don't really have any plans on getting any jerseys at this time, but his is probably the one that I'd strongly consider.

So 3 mil in cap savings basically? The way the Eagles are locking up and extending these older players has me thinking they believe they have a shot next season and they mostly blame Wentz and Doug for last years missteps. Personally I think Howie was the number one culprit here. 

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So 3 mil in cap savings basically? The way the Eagles are locking up and extending these older players has me thinking they believe they have a shot next season and they mostly blame Wentz and Doug for last years missteps. Personally I think Howie was the number one culprit here. 

It’s a bit confusing since the owner ostensibly fired Dougie P because Doug wanted to win now.

I think it just continues to confirm that we are a dumpster fire.

• Like 2

Graham is one of the few (if not the only) older player that I’m happy to see stick around. Dude should retire an Eagle. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They aren't exactly showing a rebuild here by just restructuring all our old players again. 

I mean Graham was our most effective pass rusher last year, coming up on 33 years old after 11 years on the roster, we've drafted 9 defensive linemen since drafting Graham including 2 first round Defensive Ends and yet Graham is still our #1 DE. Barnett and Sweat need to kick on soon (assuming they can agree a deal with either) 

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I mean Graham was our most effective pass rusher last year, coming up on 33 years old after 11 years on the roster, we've drafted 9 defensive linemen since drafting Graham including 2 first round Defensive Ends and yet Graham is still our #1 DE. Barnett and Sweat need to kick on soon (assuming they can agree a deal with either) 

It is kind of sad that graham is still our best and #1 Defensive end after all those years. Dont get me wrong I like graham and he is a good to sometimes great player but, you would think someone would come along in 11 years and play at the same level or better

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It is kind of sad that graham is still our best and #1 Defensive end after all those years. Dont get me wrong I like graham and he is a good to sometimes great player but, you would think someone would come along in 11 years and play at the same level or better

You’d think the law of averages would allow even someone as inept as Howie is when it comes to talent evaluation to hit on a pass rusher in that amount of time.  <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

You’d think the law of averages would allow even someone as inept as Howie is when it comes to talent evaluation to hit on a pass rusher in that amount of time.  <_<

Definitely!! I still think Sweat can be more and has shown he can be in spots. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They aren't exactly showing a rebuild here by just restructuring all our old players again. 

Yeah. Same old stuff with the same old GM. Somehow expecting different results though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thrive said:

It’s a bit confusing since the owner ostensibly fired Dougie P because Doug wanted to win now.

I think it just continues to confirm that we are a dumpster fire.

They can’t even be active in FA thanks to all of the bad contracts from before. Maybe they believe the line will come back healthy and good. Maybe they think the two Jalen’s make a big step forward. Maybe they think anyone can coach the talent Howie gives them but Doug? None of it makes a lot of sense to me. 

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They really have no choice in the matter. It is not about winning now, it is that these older players have a lot of space on the cap already, cutting or trading them does not provide cap relief, so they have to extend and restructure to get underneath the cap limit.

Next year they maybe able to cut a lot of these guys and take the hit then, but they can not now. It is going to be a rough couple of years.

I mean on the one hand you'd expect a GM to be able to pick more than one defensive end that's better than a rotation guy in 11 years, on the other hand the GM in question, in 2014 had the pick of defensive ends including Demarcus Lawrence, Dee Ford and Stephon Tuitt and picked Marcus Smith II, then in the second round topped that by picking Jordan Matthews ahead of Davante Adams, Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. 

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I mean on the one hand you'd expect a GM to be able to pick more than one defensive end that's better than a rotation guy in 11 years, you forget that the GM in question, in 2014 had the pick of defensive ends including Demarcus Lawrence, Dee Ford and Stephon Tuitt and picked Marcus Smith II, then in the second round topped that by picking Jordan Matthews ahead of Davante Adams, Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. 

I am sorry but I really hate this line of reasoning. Kelvin Benjamin and Marquise Lee were also taken before Davante Adams. Cody Latimer - who was a projected 6th round pick - was taken before Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry.

The Eagles were running a 3-4 back then and DeMarcus Lawrence was a 4-3 DE. Dee Ford was taken before Marcus Smith. The one argument you could really make was about Stephon Tuitt, who was a 3-4 LB.

I really think the idea that people have with a team taking X player over Y player years later is completely illogical. First off there is no indication that the player that succeeded in one system would succeed in another. Would Davante Adams be Davante Adams if he did not have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him year in and year out? What kind of player would he have been if he had Nick Foles, Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz throwing to him at different points in different years?

Should a GM be blamed for picking a player that did not succeed for his team? Absolutely. Marcus Smith was a TERRIBLE pick. Should he be blamed for taking X player over Y player? No he should not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Has always made plays right when the team needs it most. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

They really have no choice in the matter. It is not about winning now, it is that these older players have a lot of space on the cap already, cutting or trading them does not provide cap relief, so they have to extend and restructure to get underneath the cap limit.

Next year they maybe able to cut a lot of these guys and take the hit then, but they can not now. It is going to be a rough couple of years.

Then maybe don’t flirt with the idea of brining back Barnett? Trade some of the guys who aren’t a major cap hit for picks? Do better in the draft! I mean they just feel like they’re stuck in neutral, but until the owner sees that Howie needs to good nothing will change. He created this mess by constantly resigning these players and failing to draft their replacements. 

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Then maybe don’t flirt with the idea of brining back Barnett? Trade some of the guys who aren’t a major cap hit for picks? Do better in the draft! I mean they just feel like they’re stuck in neutral, but until the owner sees that Howie needs to good nothing will change. He created this mess by constantly resigning these players and failing to draft their replacements. 

So lets address this in a couple of ways.

Barnett is an asset right now. If you trade him or cut him you have to fill the void of Barnett somehow and the price of a FA would probably be around the same or a lot more then what he would get as an extension and you are at least working with a known player. You could possible replace him in the draft but that is a crap shoot at best. The best course of action is to kept him if you can not trade him. Cutting him makes no sense, unless his agent is unreasonable and the numbers do not add up.

It feels like they are stuck in neutral because they are. Regardless of all the reports out there and the silly Lowie name, I do believe that Roseman is on a short leash. The issue with getting rid of him this year is that no GM in his or her right mind would have come here with the absolute mess the Eagles are in right now. They had a franchise QB that they paid a lot of money to who talked his way out of town, the cap was on the wrong side of the ledger in the wrong year to be that way and they have a bunch of under performing older players that they could not get rid of.

This is a 2 year process at least to fix this mess of a franchise and I think Howie is going to be a part of it because there is no other choice. He may also need to be here next year, but that all depends on where the Eagles are at that point.

The Eagles got greedy, plan and simple, and the Super Bowl win went to their head. They tried to recreate the magic of 2017 and it blew up in their face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

So lets address this in a couple of ways.

Barnett is an asset right now. If you trade him or cut him you have to fill the void of Barnett somehow and the price of a FA would probably be around the same or a lot more then what he would get as an extension and you are at least working with a known player. You could possible replace him in the draft but that is a crap shoot at best. The best course of action is to kept him if you can not trade him. Cutting him makes no sense, unless his agent is unreasonable and the numbers do not add up.

It feels like they are stuck in neutral because they are. Regardless of all the reports out there and the silly Lowie name, I do believe that Roseman is on a short leash. The issue with getting rid of him this year is that no GM in his or her right mind would have come here with the absolute mess the Eagles are in right now. They had a franchise QB that they paid a lot of money to who talked his way out of town, the cap was on the wrong side of the ledger in the wrong year to be that way and they have a bunch of under performing older players that they could not get rid of.

This is a 2 year process at least to fix this mess of a franchise and I think Howie is going to be a part of it because there is no other choice. He may also need to be here next year, but that all depends on where the Eagles are at that point.

The Eagles got greedy, plan and simple, and the Super Bowl win went to their head. They tried to recreate the magic of 2017 and it blew up in their face.

I’m not as convinced Howie is on a short leash. There was no reason they should have brought him back. The dumped the coach and the quarterback. It was clearly a moment they could have dumped the GM too. Keeping him makes it seem like he’s above the problems and not a part of them. Hard to "build around Hurts” when they keep extending the old players. We shall see what they do next season though. 

Thats fine.  While he hasn't been a stud that they hoped for when drafting him, at least he has played well and hard.  Sometimes that is all the fans want.

This just proves that Howie is only still here because no other GM would be able to understand his cap spreadsheet.  I’m convinced Howie is using the franchise and contract restructuring to launder the money he made off illegal gambling when he was locked in the basement office during the chip era.