Eagles Mock Draft - What I'd Do

JetroLot

So, tired of doing what I think the Eagles will do and did what I'd do. There were rules to this. Article is here ...

https://jetrolot.com/move-over-im-driving/

I make zero money off the site and don't even know my page views. Not plugging. Been here since 2003. You old schoolers knew me from Scout's Notebook with Tommy. That said, articles up daily and I'm on Twitter at @mattalkire

I'll paste it for those who don't feel like going to the site. Again, it's an article. At least check out the outstanding Microsoft Paint work. 

MOVE OVER, I’M DRIVING

Everyone does mock drafts and as I like to explain, they’re simply about projecting as an exercise. The thing is for most people, they’re really fun and you just tend to do them a lot. I feel the same way about them as I do about exercising itself, I simply don’t want to do it unless I have to.

That being said, I’m switching things up for my latest Eagles’ mock draft and I am taking the reins from Howie, Jeff and the coaching staff and am now Commander Alkire. All picks shall be mine and you can criticize me for everything. I want to take a look at this bad boy and see what I’d do.

The rules:

No Trading (it just gets weird and I don’t want to get crazy)

Using a draft simulator from ProFootballNetwork to help until it can’t.

If the simulator offers me something stupid, I’m not taking it (Trevor Lawrence/Zach Wilson falls to 6)

My Picks, not the front office.

6. Ja’Marr Chase, WR LSU

And of course, it already did something stupid and Zach Wilson was on the board. He won’t be on draft day. Chase is the pick. My other option was Justin Fields and that’s just not happening. Welcome to Philly buddy. I’m set on the outside now.

37. Richie Grant, FS UCF

I want to come out of this draft hitting my defense with talent and I need a free safety for the future. I just grabbed a guy that is great single high and while we will not be running it, I want that skill set. Grant has great instincts, ball skills and plays with his hair on fire.

70. Eric Stokes, CB Georgia

Plays both zone and man for the Bulldogs and while his hips and consistency as a tackler bother me, his playing speed was matched with a blazing 40. To get a 6’1 guy that runs sub 4.3 … I’ll have him add muscle.

84. Jamin Davis, OLB Kentucky

I’m getting a 6-foot-4 guy who can cover and play the run that is athletic and, a little raw. Davis has a nose for the ball, is very useful dropping into coverage and would play WILL or SAM, but I want him at SAM.

150. Victor Dimukeje, EDGE Duke

An example here of would the new staff want a guy this small. I don’t care. My draft and if he’s here in the 5th round, I’m a happy guy. Played really well against a talented Notre Dame line. Quick hands. Good run defender. Motor guy. Develop his tools in the pass rush and this is a steal.

156. Quintin Morris, TE Bowling Green

OK, I have to adjust this thing a bit. They have him ranked as a 7th rounder and I’d literally feel like I just took Emmy Rossum home at 2am if I didn’t move him up to here. I actually think Morris could go even higher. Go watch him. Very talented pass catching tight end that came in as a WR. Not a blocker, but neither was Ertz. I’d be thrilled to get this value.

189. Tristen Hoge, G/C BYU

I stopped using the simulator as they don’t have Hoge on it. Big boy transferred from Notre Dame to BYU and can play guard or center. He was the No. 1 center prospect in the country out of high school. Position flexibility and someone to push on the inside is a plus for me.

224. Joshua Kaindoh, DE Florida State

If you just Google him, you’ll hate this. Cool. He’s a 6-foot-7, 265-pound kid that stands up at outside linebacker a lot and is pretty fluid in his movement. In fact, he drops into coverage and is effective. Injuries have beaten him up. It’s the 7th round. He’s a former 5-star. If I can tap this kid’s potential, can I get a middle class Josh Sweat?

234. Naquan Jones, NT Michigan State

This is a kid that is 6-foot-4 and played in the 340-350 range and while I’m still getting to know him as a player, I am making a pick that my coaches may like here for a late round defensive tackle pick. I figure I will spread the love.

240. Ian Book, QB Notre Dame

Before jumping down my throat, hear me out. I’ve watched every single snap he has played in college. Book is being drafted to be my backup, point blank. I’ve got a kid that has played in big games, owns the all-time wins records at a school with a lot of wins, started for three years and I can tell you for fact had brutal loyalty of his teammates. He is also mobile, would win you a few games if he had to with some "button hook at the Buick” style football and I guarantee he’ll take a hit for anyone on the team. Go ahead and draft your backup knowing he’s a backup. Ian Book is smart enough to know his arm isn’t NFL quality.

I’ve now taken care of FS, CB2, OLB and picked up a rotational DE. If WR isn’t fixed, then I’m not sure what the answer is. Spend all remaining resources to clone Jerry Rice? I’m not getting into that science BS.

That’s what I’d do if I couldn’t trade back. Maybe we’ll explore trading back at a later date.

• Like 2

Glad to see you on the new board. I joined in 2007 but I do remember Scout's Notebook with Tommy Lawlor on the old EMB.

Regarding the draft, I like the picks. Certainly would be happy with a draft haul like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Glad to see you on the new board. I joined in 2007 but I do remember Scout's Notebook with Tommy Lawlor on the old EMB.

Regarding the draft, I like the picks. Certainly would be happy with a draft haul like this.

Yeah, I remember you man. He and I ran it together until I stopped after the 2012 draft. I've been gone since then. Now I'm hitting it harder than I did before. Just got rid of that old screen name. Ugh. I update the value board (my version of rankings) daily. I have to have seen them myself to put them on and on the defensive backs, I try to use All 22 film only. 

Appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Love all the picks in Rounds 1 through 3, in fact you really hit it out of the park there. :thumbsup:

I have my doubts that Stokes and Davis will be available in R3 'in real life', however. Both look like solid R2 talents to me, in fact I'd say Grant might even go later than the pair of them! We'll see soon enough.

Some really interesting 'Day 3' names in there, they are certainly not the 'usual suspects' I've become accustomed to when using Mock Draft simulators.

I'm working on something similar myself, but just waiting for the Free Agency 'second wave' to play out.

Good luck with the new website.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

Love all the picks in Rounds 1 through 3, in fact you really hit it out of the park there. :thumbsup:

I have my doubts that Stokes and Davis will be available in R3 'in real life', however. Both look like solid R2 talents to me, in fact I'd say Grant might even go later than the pair of them! We'll see soon enough.

Some really interesting 'Day 3' names in there, they are certainly not the 'usual suspects' I've become accustomed to when using Mock Draft simulators.

I'm working on something similar myself, but just waiting for the Free Agency 'second wave' to play out.

Good luck with the new website.

Appreciate it. 

Richie Grant may go 1st round and/or above Trevon Moehrig. They could both make it into the second. I tend to think with Grant being smaller and older, he'll go after Moehrig. He's a guy personnel people love. Those two making it out of the Top 50 would actually shock me. 

It left me Stokes and Tyson Campbell in Round 3. I actually like Tyson Campbell more than Stokes and have a Round 2 grade on him, so passed. Any corner I don't have on my value board means I haven't watched coaches' tape yet and while Tyson was very grabby, he played the majority of the press on top guys at UGA. Stokes had more of a zone responsibility and/or off man. That said, you are certainly correct in thinking he could go higher. He ran a sub 4.3 at over 6 feet tall. 

Davis is a kid that people get down on. I am big on him. The majority of people will tell me that Baron Browning, Pete Werner, Jabril Cox, Cam McGrone will go in front of him. I get a lot of push back on having Jamin Davis on my 2nd round Value board. (In other words, I agree with you)

Browning and Cox are better, Werner isn't to me and McGrone is a MIKE, so I don't get that. 

Again though, using a simulator. I could have had Zach Wilson and Rashod Bateman with our first two picks. 😂

So ... I threw out the simulator on Day 3 as the values were getting a little weird. Jaelon Darden there in Round 6? 

I could have built a monster. Haha. 

Thanks buddy. Appreciate your thoughts. 

16 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

This guy again?? 👎  :nonono:

Wasn't he some bandwagon Bama fan or something??

Boo!!

I will cut you. 😅

57 minutes ago, JetroLot said:

Appreciate it. 

Richie Grant may go 1st round and/or above Trevon Moehrig. They could both make it into the second. I tend to think with Grant being smaller and older, he'll go after Moehrig. He's a guy personnel people love. Those two making it out of the Top 50 would actually shock me. Moehrig making it out of Round 1 would shock me! IMO Grant will go 50-75 range, we will see in April!

It left me Stokes and Tyson Campbell in Round 3. I actually like Tyson Campbell more than Stokes and have a Round 2 grade on him, so passed. Any corner I don't have on my value board means I haven't watched coaches' tape yet and while Tyson was very grabby, he played the majority of the press on top guys at UGA. Stokes had more of a zone responsibility and/or off man. That said, you are certainly correct in thinking he could go higher. He ran a sub 4.3 at over 6 feet tall. It would be nice if we knew what scheme Gannon was going to run in Philly. Do you think the base D will likely be Cover 2?  I've heard that suggested by a few pundits, but no-one seems to know for sure.

Davis is a kid that people get down on. I am big on him. The majority of people will tell me that Baron Browning, Pete Werner, Jabril Cox, Cam McGrone will go in front of him. I get a lot of push back on having Jamin Davis on my 2nd round Value board. (In other words, I agree with you). No push back from me on Jamin Davis - he might have some of the Darius Leonard qualities Gannon is probably looking for! Definitely a R2 talent for me.

Browning and Cox are better, Werner isn't to me and McGrone is a MIKE, so I don't get that. I also like Browning for that 'Leonard' role, and wouldn't be upset if the Eagles took either of those two. It's way overdue for the LB position to be properly addressed, Jordan Hicks was the last time they actually spent a meaningful pick there. If the Eagles can come out of Day 2 with one of Browning/Cox/Davis plus a legit DB prospect then I'm happy.

Again though, using a simulator. I could have had Zach Wilson and Rashod Bateman with our first two picks. 😂

So ... I threw out the simulator on Day 3 as the values were getting a little weird. Jaelon Darden there in Round 6? Darden is probably a R3 guy IMO, would be nice if the Eagles can find a way to draft him in addition to the others mentioned above.

@Couch Potato Love it on Darden. I have him in the 2nd round and take a LOT of crap for it. Oh well. Same thing with Dee Eskridge. Love them both.

Oh, I don't think Moehrig will touch the 2nd round. I've just heard things. I think he starts to come into play at 20. 

I think Gannon could run some Cover 2 and Cover 3, but one thing I do see people doing is saying he's going to do what Eberflus did which was a ton of zone. I do NOT see that. I think we're going to see more Zimmer influence. 

The reason I am putting such a premium on SAM and FS is because of this new staff. 

Trading down, grabbing Bateman and then getting...

Grant, Cox, CB, EDGE would just make me giddy. Absolutely giddy. 

• Like 3