Ifeatu Melifonwu (Syracuse CB) -- DRAFTED BY DETROIT #101

Alphagrand

Long, tall CB listed at 6’3 and 213 lbs — although at the Senior Bowl he was measured at around 205.  Can play physical, tackles pretty well.  He has the physical traits that Gannon may want in an outside CB, but has also said he is willing to move to safety if that’s what NFL teams want.

Could be an Eagles target if they draft CB in the 3rd round.  Ran about 4.48 at his pro day 

Here is the physical profile of a first-round CB. More importantly, @Ifeatu_Mel has the tape to back it up.

CB Ifeatu Melifonwu HT 6024

WT 205 Hand 8 7/8 Arm 32 1/4

Wing 78 1/2 40-yd: 4.48/4.49 (10-yd 1.48/1.52) VJ 41.5

BJ 11-2

SS 4.34 3C 7.01 BP 16x

We have a lot of needs but I wouldn’t mind at all if this was a draft like 2002 when we got Shepard,Lewis,brown 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 9:40 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

We have a lot of needs but I wouldn’t mind at all if this was a draft like 2002 when we got Shepard,Lewis,brown 

Completely agree.  We have 11 picks, Slay on the downside of his career, and no one to start opposite him (Maddox should either move to slot or FS).  I'd love to double dip on CBs this year.  I have Horn in the 1st and Kelvin Joseph (Kentucky) in the 4th in my mock (more like wish list).  Melifonwu works as well.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like Melinfonwu but I think his weakness is his press coverage. He is very comfortable in off man and some would say too comfortable lol. In this defense it will likely require more press man and I don’t know if his technique and instincts are built for that. They can coach him up forsure but he will be a mid to late 2nd so potential draft candidate should eagles trade out of #37

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

I like Melinfonwu but I think his weakness is his press coverage. He is very comfortable in off man and some would say too comfortable lol. In this defense it will likely require more press man and I don’t know if his technique and instincts are built for that. They can coach him up forsure but he will be a mid to late 2nd so potential draft candidate should eagles trade out of #37

I think something this new coaching staff have to do is coach up and develop players. That's something that the previous coaching regime failed to do or at least seemingly so. 

On 4/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think something this new coaching staff have to do is coach up and develop players. That's something that the previous coaching regime failed to do or at least seemingly so. 

No doubt.  But also if it is known Gannon is going to want his corners playing a lot of press man I’d sooner draft a player that has already demonstrated himself in that type of scheme rather than rely on hopes that he can be coached up (when talking about earlier picks ... day 1 or 2).  Day 3 picks sure those are practically all developmental picks.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

No doubt.  But also if it is known Gannon is going to want his corners playing a lot of press man I’d sooner draft a player that has already demonstrated himself in that type of scheme rather than rely on hopes that he can be coached up (when talking about earlier picks ... day 1 or 2).  Day 3 picks sure those are practically all developmental picks.  

Agreed. He doesn’t need to be an expert in all aspects but should feel comfortable with what will be asked. Was not asked to play press man a ton at Syracuse. But my film is limited, if coaches think they have seen enough to say he has a good base then they could develop him more in this area. But in day 1 and 2 they need to stay away from prospects that will need to be redeveloped to fit their scheme. 

scouting department appears to be doing their job but Howie is the one not following the board. This will be an interesting draft

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Agreed. He doesn’t need to be an expert in all aspects but should feel comfortable with what will be asked. Was not asked to play press man a ton at Syracuse. But my film is limited, if coaches think they have seen enough to say he has a good base then they could develop him more in this area. But in day 1 and 2 they need to stay away from prospects that will need to be redeveloped to fit their scheme. 

scouting department appears to be doing their job but Howie is the one not following the board. This will be an interesting draft

With as much as Howie has been called out this offseason (heck it seems half of the questions Lurie fielded during the post Pederson firing presser were about Howie) and as much criticism as he received for taking Reagor over Jefferson last year (and also becoming made public that the scouts had JJ on the board they set), I’m hoping he won’t be as comfortable going rogue with the picks this year.  Fingers crossed!  

If we DONT take a CB with the first 2 picks, id love to see this guy in the 3rd.