Tuesday Special

BuckroeEagle

Okay.  Been sifting and sorting, switching and swapping, and this is where I'm at.  IMO this is a two year process; 12 picks this year and 9 or 10 more in 2022.  Forget the 2021 season; we're not there yet.  Build the foundation this year and finish the interior next year.  We've got to replace 12 to 15 starters over the next three years and we can't afford to screw this up.  That's 4 or 5 per year and we've got enough high picks over the next two drafts to get ahead of the curve.

Two trades:  #12 to the Bears for #20 and #52 this year and a 2022 3rd.  Then #37, Ertz, and a 2022 5th to Buffalo for #30.

#20:  Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina.  Big body that needs to learn to use it.  Can be elite with good coaching and experience.  Could start by week 10.

#30:  Landon Dickerson, IOL, Alabama.  Had to trade up 7 slots or lose him.  Plug and play at OG and move to OC when Kelse retires.  Starter.

#52:  Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC.  Tough, goes for the ball, runs good routes, has good size ... what's not to like.  Immediate in WR rotation.

#70:  Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina.  Tough runner.  Short, solid, makes people miss, breaks tackles, catches passes, blocks; made for Philly.  Immediate in RB rotation.

#84:  Jay Tufele, IDL, USC.  Big, tough guy that can play all three downs.  Immediate in DT rotation.

#123:  Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama.  Big body with room to grow.  Fast, tough, and fearless.  Solid three down LB.  Immediate in LB rotation.

#150:  Richard LeConte III, S, Georgia.  Fundamentally sound.  Needs better functional strength.  Solid special teams player.  Special teams starter.  In DB rotation by week 10.

#189:  Zack Davidson, TE, Central Michigan.  Small college, big performance.  Good hands and willing blocker.  Immediate starter in 2 TE formations.

#224:  Shaka Toney, Edge/LB, Penn State.  A little small for Edge but may be perfect at OLB.  Developmental OLB prospect.  Situational pass rusher as Edge.

#225:  Rico Bussey, WR, Hawaii.  Good size and natural ability.  Needs NFL coaching.  Inactive or practice squad.  Potential #4/5 WR.

#234:  Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia.  Developmental QB that needs some time and good coaching.  Inactive 3rd QB.

#240:  Kenny Randall, IDL, Charleston.  Small college, big performance.  Needs a little more weight and strength for DT or slim down for DE.  Develop on practice squad.

Next year is key with 6 picks in the first three rounds.  This is where we select the skill position players to supplement this draft: a true #1 WR, a dominant OT, a stud DT, McLeod's replacement at safety, Slay's replacement at CB, Brooks replacement at OG.  Get both drafts right and we could be inline for a return to a day at the Art Museum.

Constructive comments, please.  WTF is not constructive.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BuckroeEagle said:

Okay.  Been sifting and sorting, switching and swapping, and this is where I'm at.  IMO this is a two year process; 12 picks this year and 9 or 10 more in 2022.  Forget the 2021 season; we're not there yet.  Build the foundation this year and finish the interior next year.  We've got to replace 12 to 15 starters over the next three years and we can't afford to screw this up.  That's 4 or 5 per year and we've got enough high picks over the next two drafts to get ahead of the curve.

Two trades:  #12 to the Bears for #20 and #52 this year and a 2022 3rd.  Then #37, Ertz, and a 2022 5th to Buffalo for #30.

#20:  Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina.  Big body that needs to learn to use it.  Can be elite with good coaching and experience.  Could start by week 10- Horn could go as high as 8 to the Panthers or even 10 to the Cowboys if they like him over Surtain. I would love to pull off your trade with the Bears here and still land Horn, but if you want Horn I would advise staying put at 12. Otherwise, if you were targeting someone like CB Greg Newsome II from Northwestern, this is the perfect trade down for him.

#30:  Landon Dickerson, IOL, Alabama.  Had to trade up 7 slots or lose him.  Plug and play at OG and move to OC when Kelse retires.  Starter. - Ok, I can get behind this one despite not being a huge fan of drafting a center this early. Injury history is a concern but I can see him going late 1st/early 2nd round

#52:  Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC.  Tough, goes for the ball, runs good routes, has good size ... what's not to like.  Immediate in WR rotation. - I just like some other WR prospects over St.Brown in the 2nd round if we're drafting one at 52, not a huge fan, I think he's mostly a slot WR.

#70:  Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina.  Tough runner.  Short, solid, makes people miss, breaks tackles, catches passes, blocks; made for Philly.  Immediate in RB rotation. - Solid pick, not sure if we use that high of a pick on RB, but like the player selection.

#84:  Jay Tufele, IDL, USC.  Big, tough guy that can play all three downs.  Immediate in DT rotation. - Nice selection.

#123:  Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama.  Big body with room to grow.  Fast, tough, and fearless.  Solid three down LB.  Immediate in LB rotation. - Another nice selection.

#150:  Richard LeConte III, S, Georgia.  Fundamentally sound.  Needs better functional strength.  Solid special teams player.  Special teams starter.  In DB rotation by week 10. - Agreed, nice sleeper pick here.

#189:  Zack Davidson, TE, Central Michigan.  Small college, big performance.  Good hands and willing blocker.  Immediate starter in 2 TE formations. I'll take your word on him, not too familiar with Davidson

#224:  Shaka Toney, Edge/LB, Penn State.  A little small for Edge but may be perfect at OLB.  Developmental OLB prospect.  Situational pass rusher as Edge. Reasonable pick

#225:  Rico Bussey, WR, Hawaii.  Good size and natural ability.  Needs NFL coaching.  Inactive or practice squad.  Potential #4/5 WR. I'll take your word on him, not too familiar with Bussey

#234:  Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia.  Developmental QB that needs some time and good coaching.  Inactive 3rd QB. Definitely has some upside if we go the draft a QB route late

#240:  Kenny Randall, IDL, Charleston.  Small college, big performance.  Needs a little more weight and strength for DT or slim down for DE.  Develop on practice squad. I'll take your word on him, not too familiar with Randall

Next year is key with 6 picks in the first three rounds.  This is where we select the skill position players to supplement this draft: a true #1 WR, a dominant OT, a stud DT, McLeod's replacement at safety, Slay's replacement at CB, Brooks replacement at OG.  Get both drafts right and we could be inline for a return to a day at the Art Museum.

Constructive comments, please.  WTF is not constructive.

I promised myself I wouldn't do it, but, like a drug addict, I can't help myself.  Don't really blame me, its not totally my fault, part of the blame belongs to Andy and his trade for Orlando Brown.  The Ravens with #27 and #31 are too good a target for me to pass on.  So, away goes #12 to Baltimore for #27 and #31.  Cancel #20 and #52 to Chicago.  The trade with Buffalo stays; #37, Ertz, and a 2022 5th for #30.

New draft:

#27:  Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa.  A defensive freak.  Should anchor the LB corps for 8 to 10 years.  Potential multiple All Pro.  Or, could you see him on the Edge.  Maybe the best Edge in the draft.  Immediate starter.

#30:  Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern.  Big, strong, fast, instinctive.  Excellent pairing across from Slay.  Immediate starter.

#31:  Landon Dickerson, IOL, Alabama:  No change.

#70:  Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State:  Good size and speed.  Goes after the ball, tough after the catch.  Excellent complement to Reager.  Immediate rotational starter.

#84:  Jay Tufele, IDL, USC:  No change.

#123:  Richard LeConte III, S, Georgia.  Moved down from #150.  Don't think he will last that long.  Should start by week 10.

#150:  Marvin Wilson, IDL, Florida State.  Big bodied DT with burst.  Needs work to reshape body composition.  Immediate 4th/5th rotational DL.

#189:  Zach Davidson, TE, Central Michigan.  No change.

#224:  Shake Toney, Edge/LB, Penn State.  No change.

#225:  Rico Bussey, WR, Hawaii.  No change.

#234:  Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia.  No change.

#240:  Tommy Doyle, OT, Miami [OH].  Big, strong, developmental OT.  Solid work with NFL coaching and nutritionist should prepare him for rotational OT play.  Probable Practice Squad player first year.

Just a couple of comments:  First, effectively we traded #6 and #156 for #27, #31, #123, and a 2022 1st.  Three firsts for a risky QB/WR selection.  Sign me up every time.  Remember, this is two year process.  With 6 firsts and a total of 11 picks in the first 3 rounds over two years, this is a chance for us to get healthy really quickly.  Just in case Hurts craps out we have the draft picks to move up to draft his replacement without totally wrecking our future.  Forget about contending in 2021.  This is the year to build the foundation and get a lot of new players some valuable experience.  And, and this is a big and, I haven't talked about a couple of potentially vitally important free agents we should be able to sign as big contract hits come off the books.

Overall I like it. Trading back and taking Horn? I mean that would be incredible but I don't see it. Horn could well be off the board by #12 let alone #20.

If not Horn then Newsome.  Don't think there is enough difference to matter.  Either of them could be All Pro, just okay, or a bust.

12 hours ago, BuckroeEagle said:

If not Horn then Newsome.  Don't think there is enough difference to matter.  Either of them could be All Pro, just okay, or a bust.

I like Horn but the handsy comments in his scouting report worry me. In the NFL he's going to be a PI flag waiting to happen.