Cleveland as host of the draft

Procus

For my money, the city did a crap job hosting the draft.  It was like Cleveland really had no identity of its own, so it pretended rock and roll was its identity because the selection committee for the rock and roll hall of fame decided to put the museum there.  I though the pre-draft shows forcing us to watch forcing us to watch some third rate rock band was not helpful to the draft experience.  And letting fans sit in Goodell's chair and get a sneak peek at the pick before it was announced was not interesting or entertaining in the least bit.

Overall, a third rate job by the city of Cleveland.  Not that it wasn't expected.

• Like 3

It felt a strange place to host the draft to be fair. I mean when I think of the great American cities I certainly don't think about Cleveland. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Procus said:

For my money, the city did a crap job hosting the draft.  It was like Cleveland really had no identity of its own, so it pretended rock and roll was its identity because the selection committee for the rock and roll hall of fame decided to put the museum there.  I though the pre-draft shows forcing us to watch forcing us to watch some third rate rock band was not helpful to the draft experience.  And letting fans sit in Goodell's chair and get a sneak peek at the pick before it was announced was not interesting or entertaining in the least bit.

Overall, a third rate job by the city of Cleveland.  Not that it wasn't expected.

We really got screwed on this deal. There’s no way our fan got a full 19 minutes in Roger’s chair. :angry:

Kings of Leon opening the draft was cool. (What's their connection to Cleveland? Oh well.) After that :thumbdown:. What was the deal with a cover band playing between picks? That was stupid.

Cleveland has built a nice waterfront area over Lake Erie. Instead they covered it all up with that dreadful airplane hangar they built. 

I think the point is to take the draft to all 30 NFL cities, so this year it was Cleveland's turn. Perhaps it wasn't all they expected it to be coming out of the pandemic. That's pretty much Cleveland, even when they try they get screwed.

• Like 3

Yes, that chair was a dumb idea.  Just present the picks and keep the fans in the general crowd.

Part of the problem of having the draft in Cleveland is that it's Cleveland in April.  The weather is not that good.  Just look at Thursday night with that cold, foggy night.  You're going to see the same thing with Buffalo, Green Bay, Minneapolis, Detroit, etc.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Yes, that chair was a dumb idea.  Just present the picks and keep the fans in the general crowd.

Part of the problem of having the draft in Cleveland is that it's Cleveland in April.  The weather is not that good.  Just look at Thursday night with that cold, foggy night.  You're going to see the same thing with Buffalo, Green Bay, Minneapolis, Detroit, etc.

That is pretty much the entire north east. Pennsylvania sucks ass in april too ( usually)

11 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

You're right - some sort of indoor/outdoor program should be in order in cold weather cities

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That is pretty much the entire north east. Pennsylvania sucks ass in april too ( usually)

But boy did Philly get lucky when it hosted the draft in 2017.  Was a great omen for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

You're right - some sort of indoor/outdoor program should be in order in cold weather cities

But boy did Philly get lucky when it hosted the draft in 2017.  Was a great omen for the rest of the year.

Lol that's why I said ( usually) cause the weather for the draft in philly was terrific! 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Late April in this area actually isn't as bad as the Upper Midwest.  That coastal climate, with warm weather coming up the coast, gives us better odds.  The Upper Midwest can legitimately get snow in April.  My aunt in Buffalo texted me photos of a couple inches of snow that they got the week before the draft.  That doesn't happen around here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

Late April in this area actually isn't as bad as the Upper Midwest.  That coastal climate, with warm weather coming up the coast, gives us better odds.  The Upper Midwest can legitimately get snow in April.  My aunt in Buffalo texted me photos of a couple inches of snow that they got the week before the draft.  That doesn't happen around here.

I have had snow in my area once in awhile where I live in PA but, it's mostly rain the whole damn month especially towards the end of the month and early May. It's supposed to rain the entire week this week actually lol

9 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I have had snow in my area once in awhile where I live in PA but, it's mostly rain the whole damn month especially towards the end of the month and early May. It's supposed to rain the entire week this week actually lol

It depends on the part of Pennsylvania, then.  Southeast Pennsylvania isn't bad enough to get snow in April; anything south and east of Harrisburg is different than other parts of the state, especially the most mountainous parts.  Delaware and South Jersey are obviously prone to warmer Aprils, too.

• 4 weeks later...

While we don't get snow at the end of April there's still a good chance of cold miserable rain.

We do get snow at the beginning of April, though- which is why (off-topic) there won't ever be another Wrestlemania here. (They are only held in stadiums now)

On 5/4/2021 at 2:29 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It felt a strange place to host the draft to be fair. I mean when I think of the great American cities I certainly don't think about Cleveland. 

Cleveland was one of the early pro football cities. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is nearby so there is some history there. The crappy winter weather is no joke though.

Ohio is pretty crazy about their football in general. The only other places I experienced with that much football fandom is in Texas or Florida, especially when considering high school and college football.  Yeah, there are pockets all across the country, in college towns and whatnot... And say what you want about the intensity of Philly-New York-northeast fans, we really only care when it's the pros playing. IMO, Texas, Florida, and Ohio are Top 3.

The Cuyahoga River wasn't even on fire. Not an authentic Cleveland experience.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 9:58 AM, toolg said:

Ohio is pretty crazy about their football in general. The only other places I experienced with that much football fandom is in Texas or Florida, especially when considering high school and college football.  Yeah, there are pockets all across the country, in college towns and whatnot... And say what you want about the intensity of Philly-New York-northeast fans, we really only care when it's the pros playing. IMO, Texas, Florida, and Ohio are Top 3.

The NFL is a pro league.  I don't think interest in college football should be a factor in determining where to hold the NFL draft.  If that were the case, the draft should be held sometime in Mobile, Alabama

1 hour ago, Procus said:

The NFL is a pro league.  I don't think interest in college football should be a factor in determining where to hold the NFL draft.  If that were the case, the draft should be held sometime in Mobile, Alabama

It’s not, really. Having an NFL team in the city is the qualifying factor. Although I am sure there are other considerations too. 

Philly got their chance a few years ago. Cleveland was this year. Once the other 30 NFL teams get to host the draft, I hope they bring it back. 

• Like 1