Why Eagles felt fortunate to land Zech McPhearson on Day 3 of 2021 NFL Draft

time2rock

Why Eagles felt fortunate to land Zech McPhearson on Day 3 of 2021 NFL Draft

Posted May 05, 2021
Zech McPherson

The Philadelphia Eagles selected Texas Tech CB Zech McPherson in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

The third round was winding down on Friday night, and Eagles GM Howie Roseman was having a tough time concentrating during his media availability.

Roseman was anxious, as was VP of player personnel Andy Weidl.

Both were thinking about a prospect on their draft board: Texas Tech cornerback Zech McPhearson.

The Eagles had just spent their lone remaining third-round pick (73rd overall) on Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Milton Williams. Thursday, they traded their additional third-round pick -- 84th overall -- to the Dallas Cowboys to move up to the 10th overall pick to select Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith.
Had No. 84 still been in their possession, McPhearson -- who they had graded in that range -- would have probably been the pick.

"We thought about going back up because we had Zech McPhearson right there,” Roseman said. "We wanted to get him because of the player he was, not because he was a corner and we needed a corner.”

Roseman and Weidl decided to stay put, as they agreed before the draft that they wouldn’t force need picks.

Instead, they waited through exactly 50 selections to get their guy.

By some stroke of luck, McPhearson made it to the 123rd overall pick. The Eagles pounced, landing the versatile cornerback without giving up any additional draft capital.

"The way (McPhearson) fell to us was outstanding,” Weidl said. "Exciting how it came to be.”

McPhearson wasn’t just high on the Eagles’ list. NFL Network’s lead draft analyst, Daniel Jeremiah -- a former Eagles and Ravens scout -- had McPhearson as the 85th overall player on his pre-draft big board.

McPhearson -- a Penn State transfer -- finished his college career strong, serving as a force in the Texas Tech secondary. As a senior, he collected 53 tackles, a sack, 10 pass breakups and four interceptions.

A team captain, McPhearson was also a standout on special teams, blocking three kicks during his time with the Red Raiders.

The Eagles were thrilled to land the cornerback in the fourth round, a fortunate occurrence, given their Day 2 uneasiness.

"We like him,” Weidl said. "His versatility, his ability to play outside, his ability to play inside, his ball skills (and) football intelligence.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/05/why-eagles-felt-fortunate-to-land-zech-mcphearson-on-day-3-of-2021-nfl-draft.html

• Like 1

I think he's got a good chance to be the long term #2 here. I mean look the Eagles need to add a band aid option for this year. I'd like to see them trade a third or fourth next year to get a guy with upside. But McPhearson could be a long term #2 here. 

• Like 1

Was just highlights, but I didn't see anything that special

1 hour ago, matchew88 said:

Was just highlights, but I didn't see anything that special

To be fair, and this is meant as no disrespect, but I'll go with the draft analysts.