Insider: Eagles could make 'big' roster move before Week 1

time2rock

Insider: Eagles could make 'big' roster move before Week 1

The Eagles have spent most of the offseason projecting a rebuilding mindset after trading away Carson Wentz. They've added draft capital in future years, spent modestly in free agency (largely because they didn't have any money, but still!) and seemed to be okay with taking the long view.

And yet insiders across the league keep coming back to the idea that Howie Roseman is eyeing a big, bombshell move before Week 1 of the 2021 season.

ESPN insider Dianna Russini is the latest reporter to sound that alarm. She joined 98.7 ESPN on Thursday, and at one point during her appearance she dropped this intriguing nugget about the Eagles:

"I don't want to make any predictions, but I still think they're going to wind up doing something big before the start of the season to improve their roster."

Howie Roseman making a splash move instead of patiently building? Doesn't sound like him at all! 

Russini had more in store when pressed on the subject, and whether she had any intel about the Eagles' rumored interest in a Deshaun Watson trade:

"I don't know anything at this point, firm. It's obviously rumors. [...] Trading [Deshaun Watson] is on the table. They're open to it. I was on "Get Up" for three months saying it's not happening [...] They've changed their tune. I've heard, and even just continued talking with them, that it's still on the table. They've got to deal with these lawsuits, I think that's going to go away. And I think this is going to come back to light this summer, guys, and I think the Eagles could be a team in on it."

Winds have been swirling around Watson and the Eagles for months now, from CBS's Jason La Canfora to NBC Sports' Peter King. Roseman's interest in adding Watson sounds like the real deal.

There are so many questions in a possible Watson trade - first and foremost being the result of the more than 20 lawsuits against Watson for alleged sexual assault and misconduct. Even if the lawsuits are settled, there will likely be some Eagles fans uncomfortable with the idea of Watson joining the team.

And then you start thinking about what the trade would cost. The 2022 first-round pick the Eagles added from their trade down is almost certainly gone, along with maybe another first-round pick. Would the Texans also want Jalen Hurts? Just so many variables.

Watson is clearly a good football player, but the question marks surrounding his situation - and the moral quandry the Eagles organization would be forcing on its fanbase - would be too much for my blood, were I running the team.

But Roseman is nothing if not determined to make a splash, and this is one rumor that simply isn't going away.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-eagles-could-make-big-roster-move-week-1?fbclid=IwAR0tqmsGHkzKw1zrcJ9Npm2AJhN3hqvS2HQVShGLH6XR-jeftTEhqp_jJ8U

I hope not. Too much baggage. Sounds like a lot of hype.

• Like 1

Howie might try to compensate for draft failure with a trade. He's done it many times before.

Still, for this year, it seems more like it's just:

Spoiler

Hollywood: Smoke & Mirrors - Adrianne Curry

They’re not going to trade for Deshaun Watson this offseason for several reasons: 1.the allegations against Watson — Jeffrey Lurie is not going to sign off on that. 2. Cap space. 3. They want to give Jalen Hurts a chance. The players on the team look up to Jalen Hurts. They’re going to give him a chance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vaff said:

They’re not going to trade for Deshaun Watson this offseason for several reasons: 1.the allegations against Watson — Jeffrey Lurie is not going to sign off on that. 2. Cap space. 3. They want to give Jalen Hurts a chance. The players on the team look up to Jalen Hurts. They’re going to give him a chance.

The allegations could just go away as quickly as they started up though. The cap space is the real reason to me and I don't think they are that committed to Hurts. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The allegations could just go away as quickly as they started up though. The cap space is the real reason to me and I don't think they are that committed to Hurts. 

Not really. There are a lot of things that can happen. Including Watson being suspended by the league.

As for Hurts. Well, they passed on Fields, and they traded out of the 6th spot. Also, Jason Avant said the Eagles basically had no choice but to switch to Hurts last year, because the young players all gravitated to him. These guys really look up to him. The Eagles will irritate a lot of players if they don’t give him a chance at this point, imo.

10 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I hope not. Too much baggage. Sounds like a lot of hype.

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't see it. They don't have the cap space to make a big splash. 

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Next year maybe. This year?! Probably not.

40 minutes ago, vaff said:

These insiders are talking rubbish mostly. There doesn't seem to be anything legitimate connecting Watson to the Eagles other than the Eagles like to make big trades.

They are in no way committed to Hurts, but I think they definitely will give him this year, especially after passing on Fields. See what Hurts can do with a better surrounding cast and then they can make a move for a QB next year if need be.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, vaff said:

Not really. There are a lot of things that can happen. Including Watson being suspended by the league.

As for Hurts. Well, they passed on Fields, and they traded out of the 6th spot. Also, Jason Avant said the Eagles basically had no choice but to switch to Hurts last year, because the young players all gravitated to him. These guys really look up to him. The Eagles will irritate a lot of players if they don’t give him a chance at this point, imo.

They traded out of #6 because they weren't sold on QB 3/4 it would seem. That doesn't mean they are sold on Hurts. 

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

These insiders are talking rubbish mostly. There doesn't seem to be anything legitimate connecting Watson to the Eagles other than the Eagles like to make big trades.

Every time in the league that doesn't have either a franchise QB or a young stud QB that's been drafted in the last couple of years should be interested in Watson. That's about as far as the legitimacy probably goes for the Eagles. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They traded out of #6 because they weren't sold on QB 3/4 it would seem. That doesn't mean they are sold on Hurts. 

I don’t think they’re "sold” on him. How can you be? He only started 4 games. I just think they’re committed to giving him a chance this season.

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Every time in the league that doesn't have either a franchise QB or a young stud QB that's been drafted in the last couple of years should be interested in Watson. That's about as far as the legitimacy probably goes for the Eagles. 

Also, the fact that we probably have three first round picks next year, makes people try to connect the dots.

Time Coded:

"The Eagles desperately want a franchise QB"

"They will aggressively try to make this happen"

"Deshaun just wants a fresh start, will not be picky in terms of his no trade clause"

This is reminding me of the Wentz trade chatter, everyone in the media was saying that a trade was imminent, yet half of TATE didn't want to believe it and screamed that the media was making it up.

Eagles don't believe in Hurts, they passed on a QB in this years draft because they had their sights set on Watson, they accumulated capital to make sure they could outbid the competition for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Time Coded:

"Deshaun just wants a fresh start, will not be picky in terms of his no trade clause"

This is reminding me of the Wentz trade chatter, everyone in the media was saying that a trade was imminent, yet half of TATE didn't want to believe it and screamed that the media was making it up.

Eagles don't believe in Hurts, they passed on a QB in this years draft because they had their sights set on Watson, they accumulated capital to make sure they could outbid the competition for him.

Well, there are also people in the media, that were on the Wentz is a goner train, that have said there’s no way in hell Jeffrey Lurie will trade for Watson unless he’s fully cleared. 

34 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I still don't think it's going to happen but hey we shall see. 

16 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Time Coded:

TThis is reminding me of the Wentz trade chatter, everyone in the media was saying that a trade was imminent, yet half of TATE didn't want to believe it and screamed that the media was making it up.

16 hours ago, vaff said:

Well, there are also people in the media, that were on the Wentz is a goner train, that have said there’s no way in hell Jeffrey Lurie will trade for Watson unless he’s fully cleared. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I still don't think it's going to happen but hey we shall see. 

This is very different to the Wentz situation.

There is nothing to suggest the Eagles don't believe in Hurts. You don't draft a QB in the second if you don't think he is a potential future starter (he was drafted to compete with Wentz/be a plan B, he was clearly never drafted as a back-up). Most actual reports of people close to the Eagles have said Roseman was instructed to build around Hurts, which was exactly what he did in the draft. 

Hurts was always viewed as a developmental QB. He got thrown in the deep end in a really bad situation and played pretty well considering. Not enough to crown him the franchise QB, but definitely showed some promise, which hopefully with a proper offseason and a better O around him he can capitalise on the opportunity.

Apart from the PR side with Watson there is the cost and he would be an absolutely nightmare with our cap (16 million cap hit this year, 40 million cap hit next).

Just makes all the sense in the world to give Hurts this year. If he works out we are in a really strong position to build with 3 first rounders. If not, we have our options of trading for Watson or Wilson or getting a QB in the draft.

I would be shocked if they move for Watson this year and would happily eat crow if they did.

I simply can't ever root for Watson in light of his character issues. 

If he is 100% cleared of the allegations, then there shouldn't be any objection. Until then, or if some other murky outcome occurs (settlement), then IMO, it's 100% no.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

If he is 100% cleared of the allegations, then there shouldn't be any objection. Until then, or if some other murky outcome occurs (settlement), then IMO, it's 100% no.

And if there ends of being a settlement, I think there’s a strong chance he’s suspended by the league. The league will do their own investigation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

In my mind a settlement is different from being "cleared of the allegations." 

1 minute ago, Erie said:

In my mind a settlement is different from being "cleared of the allegations." 

Me too. It's a murky resolution that is less clear than "didn't do it." I understand that sometimes settling a case is far less expensive than going to trial, but given the nature of these allegations and the impact on his future, there should be no settlement.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So do we think the Kerrigan signing is the "big" move that was referred to?

😆

The winners of the market win during the uncertainty.