Zach Ertz will be a no-show for Eagles voluntary offseason program while pursuing trade or release, per report

time2rock

Zach Ertz will be a no-show for Eagles voluntary offseason program while pursuing trade or release, per report

Unhappy with contract talks, the veteran TE wants out of Philly

Jeff Kerr

By Jeff Kerr

19 mins ago1 min read

zach-ertz.jpg

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Zach Ertz's future with the Philadelphia Eagles remains uncertain, so one of the greatest tight ends in franchise history is taking matters into his own hands. Per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Ertz will not attend the voluntary workouts for the Eagles -- which begin Tuesday -- and is expected to miss the remainder of the offseason program until his situation is resolved. The Eagles tight end wants a fresh start elsewhere, whether he's traded by the team or released. 

Philadelphia could bring Ertz back at his $12,721,500 cap number for 2021, but contract extension negotiations broke down last season as the veteran tight end seemed to admit his days with the franchise that drafted him were over at his end-of-season press conference in January. The Eagles previously sought a third- or fourth-round pick for Ertz prior to the draft, but were unable to move him. Philadelphia could be hoping for the same compensation for 2022.

Ertz finished with a career-low 36 catches for 335 yards and a touchdown last season -- one in which he battled an ankle injury. Ertz is still one of the most productive tight ends in the game as he and Travis Kelce are the only tight ends with 300-plus catches, 3,000-plus receiving yards and 20-plus touchdowns since the 2017 season. 

A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Ertz has 561 receptions for 6,078 yards and 36 touchdowns in his career. He has the fourth-most catches for a tight end in NFL history after his first eight seasons along with the ninth-most receiving yards. The 30-year-old Ertz had his best season in 2018, catching 116 passes for 1,163 yards and eight touchdowns. Ertz is also a Super Bowl hero in Philadelphia, catching the go-ahead touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of the team's Super Bowl LII victory over the New England Patriots -- capping a drive he kept alive with a first-down reception on fourth down earlier in the possession to help the Eagles retain the football. 

The Eagles would obviously like to find a trade partner for Ertz, but would save $8.5 million in cap space if they designate him as a post-June 1 cut. Seems Ertz's future will be decided in the coming weeks, as his days with the Eagles appear to be numbered. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/zach-ertz-will-be-a-no-show-for-eagles-voluntary-offseason-program-while-pursuing-trade-or-release-per-report/

Compared to some of the great TEs we had here like Chad Lewis, Brent Celek or even Burton, I was never real crazy about Ertz. He was a weak blocker on a team that needs its TEs to block frequently. He seemed to want to be only a pass catcher and was only so-so at it IMO.

While he had some heroic catches for us (mainly as a checkdown over the middle), nobody could ever call this guy a game-changer, or a guy that coordinators lost sleep over.

I'll only be sorry to see him go because I'm not sure Goedert is much better.

I thought that everybody was going to skip voluntary workouts this year as advised by their players union 

• Like 3

He's still here because 1) they didn't get a good offer for him and 2) they save more by cutting him after June 01. 

1 hour ago, mr_irie1 said:

I thought that everybody was going to skip voluntary workouts this year as advised by their players union 

Yeah I thought that as well. This is another story about nothing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Madriver said:

Compared to some of the great TEs we had here like Chad Lewis, Brent Celek or even Burton, I was never real crazy about Ertz. He was a weak blocker on a team that needs its TEs to block frequently. He seemed to want to be only a pass catcher and was only so-so at it IMO.

While he had some heroic catches for us (mainly as a checkdown over the middle), nobody could ever call this guy a game-changer, or a guy that coordinators lost sleep over.

I'll only be sorry to see him go because I'm not sure Goedert is much better.

Not to mention Ertz can't break a tackle from a 12 year old

• Like 1

Everyone was skipping voluntary stuff weren't they?

If he'd played anywhere near his previous seasons last year he'd already be gone, as it was he put in what looked like the start of a downslope season while asking to be paid like guys that are inarguably better than he is, Kelce and Kittle are beasts with the ball in their hands after the catch, Ertz isn't, he was a volume driven high yardage slot receiver.

Cut his ass. Re-sign Rodgers, see if you can get Reed or Eifert for cheap and look at Tyree Jackson and Caleb Wilson to compete for a spot on the active roster.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

I recall seeing reports of many teams planning to skip these workouts, but more recent reports are indicating a pretty large contingent of players participating in Phase II:

Chicago, Washington, LV, Denver, and Miami all had > 70

SF, KC and the NYJ had > 80.  

• Like 1

He's under contract. Start Fining him if he continues to hold out.

3 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

He's under contract. Start Fining him if he continues to hold out.

I think that comes in to play at mandatory doesn't it?

• Like 1

Seems pointless to cut him even after June 1. If we couldnt get a 4th for him, who is going to give him a raise over the 12 mil he gets this year? Besides we are light at TE and he is a good player. Seems nutty that he only wants to leave for leaving sake, he wont get more from another team, maybe less if gets cut post June 1.

6 minutes ago, zombywolf said:

Seems pointless to cut him even after June 1. If we couldnt get a 4th for him, who is going to give him a raise over the 12 mil he gets this year? Besides we are light at TE and he is a good player. Seems nutty that he only wants to leave for leaving sake, he wont get more from another team, maybe less if gets cut post June 1.

Really all depends on what they want to do with the money they’ll be paying him.  I’d they cut him it frees up $8.5M in cap ... perhaps they use that to sign Nelson to solidify the back end of the defense.  I’d argue that would help the team more this year as they can always re-sign Rodgers to be TE2.  He played well last year.  

Don't listen to these haters Zach. We will always remember what you did for the Philadelphia Eagles.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:29 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's still here because 1) they didn't get a good offer for him and 2) they save more by cutting him after June 01. 

Yeah I thought that as well. This is another story about nothing. 

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Really all depends on what they want to do with the money they’ll be paying him.  I’d they cut him it frees up $8.5M in cap ... perhaps they use that to sign Nelson to solidify the back end of the defense.  I’d argue that would help the team more this year as they can always re-sign Rodgers to be TE2.  He played well last year.  

I genuinely thought we only saved 4.5 million with Ertz come what may, but I've checked and your right - 8.5 million!

So - I agree with you time2rock to an extent. That is some serious cap money, so if we are going to use it for a corner (ideally Nelson), which is a desperate need then he needs to go. But - I think we may as well trade him. There were interested parties apparently, but they didn't make a good enough offer. Makes sense now as cap relief wouldn't have been as much and it was a weak draft. I'm pretty sure we get at least a 5th for him now. (Seems like a good peace offering for Rodgers I would think?). If they don't plan to use the money, I would keep him for now to help Hurts and hopefully deal him at the deadline.

Oh and time2rock - I just want to compliment you on your professionalism in wanting to bring in competition for your CB2 slot. Thinking of the team and welcoming competition - Wentz could have learned a lot from you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I genuinely thought we only saved 4.5 million with Ertz come what may, but I've checked and your right - 8.5 million!

So - I agree with you time2rock to an extent. That is some serious cap money, so if we are going to use it for a corner (ideally Nelson), which is a desperate need then he needs to go. But - I think we may as well trade him. There were interested parties apparently, but they didn't make a good enough offer. Makes sense now as cap relief wouldn't have been as much and it was a weak draft. I'm pretty sure we get at least a 5th for him now. (Seems like a good peace offering for Rodgers I would think?). If they don't plan to use the money, I would keep him for now to help Hurts and hopefully deal him at the deadline.

Oh and time2rock - I just want to compliment you on your professionalism in wanting to bring in competition for your CB2 slot. Thinking of the team and welcoming competition - Wentz could have learned a lot from you.

We can definitely get a 5 for him.  At worst it's in 2023