Julio Jones (Falcons WR) -- TRADED TO TENNESSEE

Captain F

Julio said today that he is out of Atlanta.  At this point, Atlanta would likely take a ... 3rd?... for him?  We have 428 draft picks next year.  Do it Howard.

20210524_123845.jpg

I don’t think he wants to go to a 4 win team.

Could you imagine trading assets for Julio and then Hurts doesn’t pan out? Would be the disaster of howie’s tenure here, and that’s saying a lot. We need to know it can work before taking that leap.

And then there’s the obstacles of paying a 20m$+ WR. Historically it’s a poor cap allocation, and we can’t really afford him anyhow.

That’s 3 reasons it can’t happen off the top of my head

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Could you imagine trading assets for Julio and then Hurts doesn’t pan out? Would be the disaster of howie’s tenure here, 

indeed.....

If we didn't have a question mark at QB, I would be all over this. Fact is, we don't know what we have in Hurts, and could very well need the capital to find his replacement, no point in spending it on a end of prime WR.

Him and DeVonta would be special though.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

If we didn't have a question mark at QB, I would be all over this. Fact is, we don't know what we have in Hurts, and could very well need the capital to find his replacement, no point in spending it on a end of prime WR.

Him and DeVonta would be special though.

I’m trying to understand your logic. Wouldn’t an all-pro receiver help answer the questions you have about your QB?

26 minutes ago, MagicMoment said:

I’m trying to understand your logic. Wouldn’t an all-pro receiver help answer the questions you have about your QB?

We already have enough to figure out whether or not Hurts is the guy, just need to watch him play to find out. Spending precious capital to get him extra help, only to find out he's not the guy puts us in a terrible situation. Not only would we have sent assets to get him aging help, if he isn't the guy, we would have limited ourselves in terms of finding his replacement.

6 hours ago, What The F said:

Julio said today that he is out of Atlanta.  At this point, Atlanta would likely take a ... 3rd?... for him?  We have 428 draft picks next year.  Do it Howard.

20210524_123845.jpg

I can only guess it was La Canfora that wrote this, he's always linking the Eagles to dumb stuff like this. Accounting for $15 million against the cap is not going to happen. It's best to see what they have this year in the players on the roster instead of investing in an aging WR, especially if you don't think they have a shot at competing this year for a Super Bowl.

Im so happy we turned off the salary cap option so we could trade for Jones, Watson and Gilmore. Then sign Steven Nelson on top of that. 

Oh wait, this is not madden???? Dam

• Like 1

I think he lands with the Chargers. 

With that said. People say we don't know what we have in Hurts. Well, if he sucks with Julio, then you know what you got. Also would be a great person our WRs can learn from. We need a bigger bodied WR. If we can afford it, I'm for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I think he lands with the Chargers. 

With that said. People say we don't know what we have in Hurts. Well, if he sucks with Julio, then you know what you got. Also would be a great person our WRs can learn from. We need a bigger bodied WR. If we can afford it, I'm for it.

I could see the Packers trying to get him as a peace offering to Rodgers. But, I don't know if Rodgers would stay even after that.

• Like 2

I'm all for remaining competitive so that the coaches can implement their systems and players can gain confidence. That's why I'd sign a 1-yr rental vet at CB if it comes to that. BUT it makes little sense to trade future picks and spend loads of cap for someone who really has a 2-yr window. That's just not where this team is

• Like 2

Look Julio Jones would help Hurts because he's a proven experienced WR and we don't have that on this team right now. He's also still one of the best WRs in the league. 

BUT... He struggles to stay healthy and he's too expensive! So thanks but no thanks. 

WR is one of the least important positions in winning championships. Paying a top flight WR is rarely a worthwhile investment. Yes Atlanta  has been better the last decade with Julio than without him, but paying that money instead to a great DE or DT or RT or even FS would  have worked out better.

• Like 2

I would not give up draft capital for Julio. If that draft capital and money they can trade for a solid cornerback. Why get a WR?

at this point I wouldn’t trade any draft capital. I would just sign a FA CB and see what this team got lol. No Super Bowl this year

3 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

WR is one of the least important positions in winning championships. Paying a top flight WR is rarely a worthwhile investment. Yes Atlanta  has been better the last decade with Julio than without him, but paying that money instead to a great DE or DT or RT or even FS would  have worked out better.

They should have won the SB. It was fine. There is no absolute formula.  Doesn't make sense for Eagles now tho

3 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

They should have won the SB. It was fine. There is no absolute formula.  Doesn't make sense for Eagles now tho

There are trends you can follow. For instance, top paid receivers in the salary cap era:

Cris Carter - No rings, no SB

Randy Moss - no rings, 1 SB (made a second later on as a backup player on a small salary)

Terrell Owens - No Rings, 1 SB (but wasn’t needed to get there)

Deandre Hopkins- No Rings, No SB (yet)

Julio Jones - No Rings, 1 SB

Herman Moore - No Rings, No SB

Javon Walker - No rings, No SB

Calvin Johnson - No rings, No SB

Andre Johnson - No rings, No SB

Wes Welker - No rings, 2 SB

Larry fitzgerald - No Rings, 1 SB

Antonio Brown - No rings, no SB (won a ring last year as a backup on a small contract)

Dez Bryant - No Rings, no SB

Eric Moulds - No rings, no SB

Steve Smith - no rings, 1 SB

Davante Adams - No Rings, No SB

Jimmy Smith - No Rings, No SB

Tim Brown - No Rings, 1 SB

Even Jerry Rice post-salary cap - no rings, 1 SB

You can make excuses for each of them, but it is an interesting trend when compared to this list:

Top Safeties of the salary Cap era

Ed Reed - 1 Ring, 1 SB

Earl Thomas - 1 ring, 2 SB

John Lynch - 1 ring, 1 SB

Steve Atwater - 2 ring, 3 SB

Eugene Robinson - 1 ring, 3 SB

Darren Sharper- 1 ring, 1 SB

Malcolm Jenkins - 2 ring, 2 SB

Leroy Butler - 1 ring, 2 SB

Tyrone Braxton - 2 ring, 4 SB

Rod Woodson - 1 ring, 2 SB

Cam Chancellor - 1 ring, 2 SB

Troy Polamalu - 2 ring, 3 SB

Lawyer Milloy - 1 ring, 2 SB

Devin Mccourty - 3 rings, 5 SB

Tyrann Matthieu - 1 ring, 1 SB

Bob Sanders - 1 ring, 2 SB

there are a couple of exceptions, of course. Brian Dawkins and Marvin Harrison to name one of each... but this is a pretty astounding trend. Obviously every position matters, but historically speaking WR does not play out as a priority position to spend salary space on. 

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Antonio Brown - No rings, no SB

Wasn't he with the Buccaneers last year?

Just now, Don Corleone said:

Wasn't he with the Buccaneers last year?

Oh yeah I’ll edit it to add the Randy Moss parenthetical

• Like 1

The Eagles have been mentioned connected to Rodgers, Watson, and now Jones. It doesn’t even matter if the Eagles have cap space or not we are trading for everyone it seems. I swear these people connect the Eagles to all this stuff cause we are clickbait gold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

There are trends you can follow. For instance, top paid receivers in the salary cap era:

Cris Carter - No rings, no SB

Randy Moss - no rings, 1 SB (made a second later on as a backup player on a small salary)

Terrell Owens - No Rings, 1 SB (but wasn’t needed to get there)

Deandre Hopkins- No Rings, No SB (yet)

Julio Jones - No Rings, 1 SB

Herman Moore - No Rings, No SB

Javon Walker - No rings, No SB

Calvin Johnson - No rings, No SB

Andre Johnson - No rings, No SB

Larry fitzgerald - No Rings, 1 SB

Antonio Brown - No rings, no SB (won a ring last year as a backup on a small contract)

Dez Bryant - No Rings, no SB

Eric Moulds - No rings, no SB

Steve Smith - no rings, 1 SB

Davante Adams - No Rings, No SB

Jimmy Smith - No Rings, No SB

Tim Brown - No Rings, 1 SB

Even Jerry Rice post-salary cap - no rings, 1 SB

You can make excuses for each of them, but it is an interesting trend when compared to this list:

Top Safeties of the salary Cap era

Ed Reed - 1 Ring, 1 SB

Earl Thomas - 1 ring, 2 SB

John Lynch - 1 ring, 1 SB

Steve Atwater - 2 ring, 3 SB

Eugene Robinson - 1 ring, 3 SB

Darren Sharper- 1 ring, 1 SB

Malcolm Jenkins - 2 ring, 2 SB

Leroy Butler - 1 ring, 2 SB

Tyrone Braxton - 2 ring, 4 SB

Rod Woodson - 1 ring, 2 SB

Cam Chancellor - 1 ring, 2 SB

Troy Polamalu - 2 ring, 3 SB

Lawyer Milloy - 1 ring, 2 SB

Devin Mccourty - 3 rings, 5 SB

Tyrann Matthieu - 1 ring, 1 SB

Bob Sanders - 1 ring, 2 SB

there are a couple of exceptions, of course. Brian Dawkins and Marvin Harrison to name one of each... but this is a pretty astounding trend. Obviously every position matters, but historically speaking WR does not play out as a priority position to spend salary space on. 

How does Wes Welker not make your list? Dude caught over 100 passes for five years, has over 900 career receptions, over 9000 career receiving yards, and most importantly never won a Super Bowl. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

How does Wes Welker not make your list? Dude caught over 100 passes for five years, has over 900 career receptions, over 9000 career receiving yards, and most importantly never won a Super Bowl. 

Forgot welker, I’ll add him

6 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yep - I've been saying this for ages. Fans obsess over WR, but they don't move the chain as much as people think. Simple fact is that good teams can take them away.

Having said that, you definitely need enough in terms of weapons (TEs and RBs included). Smith was still the right pick for us in the first, despite all the defensive needs.

But yeah, ultimately trading draft capital for Jones is the wrong move, especially as we definitely do not have the wiggle room to sign him under the cap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yep - I've been saying this for ages. Fans obsess over WR, but they don't move the chain as much as people think. Simple fact is that good teams can take them away.

Having said that, you definitely need enough in terms of weapons (TEs and RBs included). Smith was still the right pick for us in the first, despite all the defensive needs.

But yeah, ultimately trading draft capital for Jones is the wrong move, especially as we definitely do not have the wiggle room to sign him under the cap.

I don’t put much into these rumors anymore. How many times have the Eagles been linked to trading for a star player? How often have we gotten said player? The Eagles aren’t getting Jones or any of these guys. Not to mention Jones is over thirty coming off a lesser season, seems to have red zone issues despite his size, and was hobbled with some injuries. I don’t see Jones as a good match for the Eagles right now anyway although one could argue Jones could bring to the offense as much as Jeffery brought to that SB offense.