How Eagles convinced ex-Washington pass rusher Ryan Kerrigan to stay in NFC East

time2rock

How Eagles convinced ex-Washington pass rusher Ryan Kerrigan to stay in NFC East

Today 6:30 AM
Ryan Kerrigan

Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Ryan Kerrigan meets the media for the first time on Zoom on Monday, May 24, 2021 (5/24/21).

Ryan Kerrigan didn’t test free agency during his first 10 years in the NFL. The former first-round pick played his entire career in Washington before both sides decided to part ways this offseason.

While he had other options in free agency -- with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals reportedly among the group -- Kerrigan, 32, ultimately decided to sign with his former rivals, the Eagles, after an all-encompassing recruiting pitch by the coaching staff and team leaders

During a visit at the NovaCare Complex, Kerrigan met with head coach Nick Sirianni, defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker. He also received encouraging calls from fellow defensive linemen Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox.

"They were both instrumental in getting me to Philly,” Kerrigan said Monday. "Brandon reached out, Fletcher reached out a couple of times. They both expressed that I could really help out the team here. That really meant a lot to me because I really respect those guys.”

The Eagles made Kerrigan feel wanted.

He also felt the positive energy in the building, especially from the coaching staff. Sirianni and Gannon stood out during the recruiting visit.

"They’re really positive dudes,” Kerrigan said. "You can tell the energy is not only going to be present in the meeting rooms but on the practice field as well.”

Kerrigan has spent most of his career as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but his versatility stems back to his college days at Purdue. Kerrigan can rush from two- and three-point stances, and he’s played in odd and even fronts.

With his experience and versatility, Kerrigan gives Gannon options as a moveable chess piece on defense.

"With this defense, and the way we’re going to do some things, it’s going to allow us to be pretty multiple up front,” Kerrigan said. "It’s going to allow us to not do the same thing over and over again, and I think that’s going to allow us to gain an edge mentally, pre-snap.”

While outsiders were curious as to why Kerrigan joined a team that is being pegged as a rebuilding project, the veteran said the Eagles’ recent history of winning gives him confidence that they could be in for a bounce-back campaign.

With several young players on defense, Kerrigan is also happy to share his wisdom of the game with his teammates.

"I’ve been fortunate to be in this league for a long time -- 10 years -- so I feel like I’ve learned a lot and gathered a lot from different players, different coaches, different experiences,” Kerrigan said. "I feel like I’ve got a lot to pass on from the mental side of the game and I’m excited to do that with some of the guys here.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/05/how-eagles-convinced-ex-washington-pass-rusher-ryan-kerrigan-to-stay-in-nfc-east.html

I still don't really get it from his point of view? I mean this team very likely is not going to be a contender during his time here... But hey it is good to hear that Sirianni and Gannon have a positive influence on bringing guys in. 

He wants to mentor the young guys. Maybe he's building relationships to become a future coach some day in the not so distant future.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I still don't really get it from his point of view? I mean this team very likely is not going to be a contender during his time here... But hey it is good to hear that Sirianni and Gannon have a positive influence on bringing guys in. 

Likely ... but stranger things have happened in the league - I wouldn't be completely shocked if this team surprised people this year (maybe not contend for a title but be more competitive than most folks believe).  Maybe they end up close to 0.500 in 2021 but Hurts shows significant progress as the season goes and then they have another good offseason.  It is mostly going to depend on how Hurts plays and how the new coaching staff performs and is able to develop players and design schemes to cater to what they do well.  Perhaps we are back in the mix as soon as next year.  Not counting on it ... but certainly not impossible.  

• Like 1

The Eagles offer wasn't exactly overwhelming. It's not 100% known that he got other offers.  And Pittsburgh & Cincy aren't exactly juggernauts if it was them and would be further to move his family.  This is an easy move for him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Likely ... but stranger things have happened in the league - I wouldn't be completely shocked if this team surprised people this year (maybe not contend for a title but be more competitive than most folks believe).  Maybe they end up close to 0.500 in 2021 but Hurts shows significant progress as the season goes and then they have another good offseason.  It is mostly going to depend on how Hurts plays and how the new coaching staff performs and is able to develop players and design schemes to cater to what they do well.  Perhaps we are back in the mix as soon as next year.  Not counting on it ... but certainly not impossible.  

I mean in some ways I hope you're right and in others I hope you're wrong. Being near .500 would absolutely show progress and promise but would ultimately hurt the draft position so it's a tricky one isn't it.