Coaching

Procus

A bit over 5 years ago when Doug Pederson was hired as head coach after Kelly was fired, I was not happy and thought he was a blathering idiot.  In some ways he may have been, but he had his strengths and we all know what happened.  Aside from 2017, for the most part, a slightly above average tenure in the beginning, with the bottom falling out in 2020.  Still, many think that losing Reich and Flip had a large part to do with the drop off.  I think it was also a drop off in talent, but I digress.

It did seem as though there were some players who played better when they left the Eagles, and that young players didn't seem to develop so much while Dougie was HC.

FF to 2021, who knows what will be with the current staff.  That opening PC was a dud to put it mildly.  But still, from what I'm reading, this young staff looks to be on its game.  I am pleasantly surprised with the energy I'm sensing at Nova Care and the roster management coming out of the front office. 

Let's see what happens with these Eagles, but I'm especially interested in seeing how the younger players come along.

• Like 1

Lol I wanted Gus. Happy that Lurie didn't go that direction

Doug may need a good support cast of coaches and just wasn't able to replace Frank and the others. We'll see when he gets hired again. He's enjoying his break while still getting paid lol

I just hope Nick can actually do everything he's been preaching. He's been saying how it doesn't matter what style the QB is and that he creates his plays based on the players strengths and not forcing players to do something they can't.

I'm curious what Gannon is going to do seeing as how we keep adding Dline and not LBs and CBs

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I just hope Nick can actually do everything he's been preaching. He's been saying how it doesn't matter what style the QB is and that he creates his plays based on the players strengths and not forcing players to do something they can't.

That's gravy to me at this stage.  Let's see how well the young players develop while he's running the show.  That was an area that the Pederson staff did not shine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Procus said:

A bit over 5 years ago when Doug Pederson was hired as head coach after Kelly was fired, I was not happy and thought he was a blathering idiot.  In some ways he may have been, but he had his strengths and we all know what happened.  Aside from 2017, for the most part, a slightly above average tenure in the beginning, with the bottom falling out in 2020.  Still, many think that losing Reich and Flip had a large part to do with the drop off.  I think it was also a drop off in talent, but I digress.

I think ultimately the planets aligned. Doug came in and kept a lot of the coaches from Chip's time with one or two from even Andy's time. There were key players on the roster who were coming in to their prime and Doug came in with a fresh approach and it just worked for a time. Unfortunately though Doug wasn't very good at picking his coaches and as a result players didn't develop and the scheme didn't evolve.

I caught just some brief comments from players in the OTA interviews and a lot of what they're saying is they are excited about the new offense, and that they are learning the new system along with the coaches (the coaches that haven't worked with Siriani prior).  The idea is that they are building something together.  

You never know with any new coaching staff, most coaching hires don't work out and changes are made a few years later.  Some hires on paper that look great don't work, and others end up surprising.  Just like draft picks can not pan out the way you think.

I do like the idea of everyone being young and hungry.  Many of the players that won the SB became complacent and for several years they were in the hole either in games or in the entire season.  They kept having to bounce back after having their backs against the wall.  Hopefully this new team will at least come out of the gate giving strong effort.

19 hours ago, NOTW said:

FB_IMG_1622228053685.jpg

Great, now I don't like him. I hate that stupid saying. 

This is an underrated point.  Coaching should be much better.  Some of Doug’s hires weren’t very good.  But we’re on the right track now I think.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, Procus said:

It did seem as though there were some players who played better when they left the Eagles, and that young players didn't seem to develop so much while Dougie was HC.

FF to 2021, who knows what will be with the current staff.  That opening PC was a dud to put it mildly.  But still, from what I'm reading, this young staff looks to be on its game.  I am pleasantly surprised with the energy I'm sensing at Nova Care and the roster management coming out of the front office. 

Let's see what happens with these Eagles, but I'm especially interested in seeing how the younger players come along.

We got nowhere to go..But Up from 2020.

Coaching up the new talent was a huge flaw for Doug. He made up for it by understanding the flow of a game which won us a superbowl and made us a threat every week.

I don't think any coach is perfect at every aspect. Nick seems to be good at coaching up the talent but if he can't call and manage a game it won't matter. We won't know until we get deep in the season.

• Like 1

Everyone wants to be a journalist and they want to be the first to claim they knew it all along. I just want to watch the process. I’ll make my judgments after I see what this guy can do. Even after Doug’s first year you could tell the players were fighting for Doug. By the beginning of Chip’s second season I had my doubts and soon after that I wanted him gone. Just let it play out and enjoy the games.