Trump/Kraft Tried To Bribe End of Spygate Incident?

SPIDER-MAN

I put this in TATE because it specifically notes that Arlen Specter was interested in the probe after the Eagles lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

IN THE SPRING of 2008, the NFL was in crisis. A hard-charging United States senator from Pennsylvania named Arlen Specter had launched an investigation into the Spygate scandal. He tried to determine how many games the New England Patriots' illegal videotaping operation of opposing coaches' signals had helped the team win and learn why the NFL, under the orders of commissioner Roger Goodell, had destroyed all evidence of the cheating. By May, Specter -- a former Philadelphia district attorney and a lifelong Eagles fan -- was so angry at the "stonewalling" of his inquiry by the league and the Patriots that he called for an independent investigator, similar to the Mitchell investigation of steroid use in professional baseball. League executives and coaches might be forced to testify under oath. The prospect sent the league, and its new commissioner, into panic. "If it ever got to an investigation," Goodell said at one point, "it would be terrible for the league."

The NFL tried to combat the Specter inquiry with public statements from teams that were the primary victims of New England's spying saying the league had done its due diligence. It wasn't working.

But there was one man, a mutual friend of Specter and Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who believed that he could make the investigation go away. He was a famous businessman and reality television star who routinely threw money at politicians to try to curry favor, whether it worked or not. He had been a generous political patron of Specter's for two decades.

One day in early 2008, Specter had dinner with the man in Palm Beach at his palatial club, not far from Kraft's Florida home. A phone call followed. The friend offered Specter what the senator felt was tantamount to a bribe: "If you laid off the Patriots, there'd be a lot of money in Palm Beach."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31484993/son-ghostwriter-late-senator-say-trump-intervened-stop-probe-patriots-spygate-scandal

7 minutes ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

I put this in TATE because it specifically notes that Arlen Specter was interested in the probe after the Eagles lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31484993/son-ghostwriter-late-senator-say-trump-intervened-stop-probe-patriots-spygate-scandal

Yup the fishiest thing about the whole spygate incident was when goodell had the evidence destroyed.

Just reeks of a cover up by the league, not surprised at all that Trump would be involved somehow.

Kraft Trump and Goodell all probably get rub and tugs together...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anything involving a potentially negative Trump story is front page news. Didn’t you know? 

• Like 2

I'd really like to know more about the Bob Kraft - Donald Trump friendship.  Seems like there's a lot more there that we don't know about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

I'd really like to know more about the Bob Kraft - Donald Trump friendship.  Seems like there's a lot more there that we don't know about.

I think they're lovers

ewwwwww

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, greend said:

I think they're lovers

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I might potentially bribe a sitting U.S. Senator for a friend, and so far I'm not coming up with anything.

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I might potentially bribe a sitting U.S. Senator for a friend, and so far I'm not coming up with anything.

In Trump's defense he'd have never actually paid him the money.  He never pays anyone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As if I needed any more reasons to hate them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

As if I needed any more reasons to hate them.

I always think about Sheldon Brown’s comments about how they kept throwing screen passes against Eagles’ blitzes in the Super Bowl

• Like 2

This belongs in CVON unless the late senator played for the Eagles. Some of us are trying to stay out of this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What right does the government have to investigate Spy Gate? 

As I understand it, pro sports and the associated multiple billions gambled on those games fall under interstate commerce. That's the purview of the federal government under Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution. They get to regulate, investigate, and when necessary, sanction violators of any applicable regulation(s) or law(s). A fixed game is a form of fraud.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

This belongs in CVON unless the late senator played for the Eagles. Some of us are trying to stay out of this stuff.

I can see its relevance here, as it at least tangentially involves the Eagles, but you're right to think it could get out of hand quickly. Play nice, TATE! :whistle:

4 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

There's a lot we don't know about you either.

This doesn't belong in this forum.

9 minutes ago, Big___Al said:

There's a lot we don't know about you either.

What do you want to know, Big Al??

4 hours ago, greend said:

I think they're lovers

ewwwwww

Stormy...golden showers...and possibly JJAW's umbrella?

Sounds like a BS story. ESPN is part of the mainstream fake news media. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

What do you want to know, Big Al??

Haha... I don't think I want to know!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Utebird said:

Yup the fishiest thing about the whole spygate incident was when goodell had the evidence destroyed.

Just reeks of a cover up by the league, not surprised at all that Trump would be involved somehow.

Kraft Trump and Goodell all probably get rub and tugs together...

I bet Deshaun Watson recommended a few places to them.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Sounds like a BS story. ESPN is part of the mainstream fake news media. 

LMAO

Come on man

Unless of course the story is about Djax being a "gang member" and the MSM writes bullsht like "Djax had $250k stolen from his house. And "certain types" say.. "only a criminal gang member would have $250k in cash at their house blah blah blah".

And then the cops investigating it release a statement saying  "It wasn't $250k it was closer to $22k and most of that value was a nice watch". But the Djax is a gang member sht didn't end there. Did it? I don't recall anyone saying "fake news" when this story was actually documented as incorrect and confirmed by the investigating agency as being "false or wrong".

Funny how the news is only fake when it exposes certain "types" and then it is suddenly real when certain "types" need it to be. 

Then there was the story about Corey Clement being an "abuser",  true....until we saw video of people trying to jump him. 

Stories about certain athletes.. all true.. stories about "politicians we agree with"... 'FAKE NEWS MEDIA"!!!!!!

Convenient.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Stormy...golden showers...and possibly JJAW's umbrella?

Gross