Eagles hire former Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell

Procus

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/eagles-hire-former-jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell/

Dave Caldwell, the Jaguars general manager who was fired late last season, has landed in Philadelphia.

The Eagles announced today that Caldwell has joined their front office with the title of Personnel Executive.

Caldwell was the Jaguars’ GM from 2013 to 2020 and had worked for the Falcons, Colts and Panthers before that. In his new role with the Eagles, Caldwell will be involved in both college and pro scouting.

The Eagles also announced the following front office hires: Phil Bhaya as college scout in the Southeast, Brandon Brown as Director of Player Personnel, Ian Cunningham as Director of Player Personnel, Matt Holland as college scout in the Northeast, Bryce Johnston as Senior Director of Football Transactions, Evan Pritt as Scouting Assistant, Catherine Raîche as Vice President of Football Operations, Jeff Scott as Senior Pro Scout and Ameena Soliman as Pro Scout.

Howie be lookin over that shoulder now.....  

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

too many chefs in the kitchen

It's so he has enough scapegoats for everything that goes wrong

• Like 2

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Howie be lookin over that shoulder now.....  

Definitely a shot across the bow

I'm not sure, in the event that Howie is fired, that Caldwell would be an upgrade. His track record, particularly with top-10 picks, is pretty awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, metal said:

I'm not sure, in the event that Howie is fired, that Caldwell would be an upgrade. His track record, particularly with top-10 picks, is pretty awful.

Can’t hire someone who’d be a threat to unseat him.  

• Like 2

What about the girl they made vice president of personnel??

1 hour ago, Vee said:

When did Jim become a GM? 😛

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

The Eagles are grabbing up people from the Canadian Football League, the WTF, and the Jags. Good thing Howie is stuffing the PPD with people from winning organizations. 😒

• Like 2

I mean... He could hire a number of the brightest guys in the business but it means nothing if he doesn't listen to them. 

• Like 1

Howie lining up a scapegoat for next year's draft if he screws that up.

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What about the girl they made vice president of personnel??

When did Jim become a GM? 😛

The "girl" has been with the franchise for two years already, and I'm not sure what role she plays, so I don't know about any issues there.

A GM that comes from a historically awful drafting organization to, "contribute to the evaluation of the Eagles team, while also assisting with both the pro and college scouting process" doesn't look, or sound good.  I'm not sure what value he brings, other than perhaps being a tie breaker.  On draft day, if there are two differing opinions on what to do, perhaps they'll ask Caldwell and do the opposite.  I could see that working well.

I'm happy that the Eagles are investing more personnel towards developing a better draft selection process.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean... He could hire a number of the brightest guys in the business but it means nothing if he doesn't listen to them. 

The fact is they have never really shied away from hiring good people.  The decision making just stinks in the end. Also of note it's not like good people necessarily individually evaluate all these prospects well either. The primary function of every job isn't to do player evaluations tho they all do it to some extent

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

It's so he has enough scapegoats for everything that goes wrong

or so that there are even more people Howie can ultimately overrule during the draft....

Eagles in 2024:

That bust was a Caldwell pick.  Howie wanted (insert pro-bowler here) instead, but he was being too collaborative.  He's learned his lesson.

• Thanks 1

Definitely seems like a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen." How many high level executives do you need in your scouting department? How many different perspectives can a front office get before it starts to second guess every decision it makes? I'd rather just let Weidl do his thing and cut out the other clutter, not add more.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, Procus said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/eagles-hire-former-jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell/

Dave Caldwell, the Jaguars general manager who was fired late last season, has landed in Philadelphia.

The Eagles announced today that Caldwell has joined their front office with the title of Personnel Executive.

Caldwell was the Jaguars’ GM from 2013 to 2020 and had worked for the Falcons, Colts and Panthers before that. In his new role with the Eagles, Caldwell will be involved in both college and pro scouting.

The Eagles also announced the following front office hires: Phil Bhaya as college scout in the Southeast, Brandon Brown as Director of Player Personnel, Ian Cunningham as Director of Player Personnel, Matt Holland as college scout in the Northeast, Bryce Johnston as Senior Director of Football Transactions, Evan Pritt as Scouting Assistant, Catherine Raîche as Vice President of Football Operations, Jeff Scott as Senior Pro Scout and Ameena Soliman as Pro Scout.

Excellent, sounds like Howie has little to no say concerning player selections and righfuly so, he really F'd up this past draft, no corners and  a crippled interior Olineman.   

They'll talk collaboration, Lurie can add to the number of people in the organization he'll say could be GM of another team...but ultimately they are either scapegoats or progressive diversity hires.

4 hours ago, Saltpeter said:

Definitely seems like a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen." How many high level executives do you need in your scouting department? How many different perspectives can a front office get before it starts to second guess every decision it makes? I'd rather just let Weidl do his thing and cut out the other clutter, not add more.

You can say with talent evaluation not exactly being a strength of Howie’s, having someone who has the experience to work with / guide him is probably beneficial (although I don’t have much faith in Caldwell’s abilities in that area either).  But I would have preferred they bring in a young up-and-comer trying to cut his teeth in the business.  Reid did that here with Veach who is now KC’s GM and seems to have a real eye for talent.