6 potential destinations for Eagles’ Zach Ertz: Where could tight end land after trade or release?

time2rock

6 potential destinations for Eagles’ Zach Ertz: Where could tight end land after trade or release?

Updated May 31, 10:15 AM; Posted May 31, 6:30 AM
Zach Ertz

Philadelphia Eagles TE Zach Ertz is likely on his way out of town this week, via trade or release.AP

Tuesday marks a very important date for Zach Ertz and the Eagles.

After 4 p.m. on June 1, the Eagles can recoup $8.5 million in cap space by trading or releasing Ertz, who is looking for a change of scenery. The three-time Pro Bowl tight end and the organization have publicly and privately disagreed on his value in contract talks, and divorce seems inevitable at this point.

Ertz was among the few players to no-show the Eagles’ first offseason program under new head coach Nick Sirianni. With former second-round pick Dallas Goedert ready to take over for Ertz, the Eagles are in strong enough shape to move on from Ertz, who has been on the trade block since around last year’s trade deadline.

The issue to this point has been about return value in a trade. The Eagles didn’t find what they were looking for during the draft weekend, so the next logical step was to hold onto Ertz until June when their cap savings would boom from $4.9 million to $8.5 million due to the ability to mitigate dead money charges with the use of next year’s cap.

While teams have upgraded their tight end depth charts around the league this offseason, Ertz should still have several suitors if he were to be outright released, a gesture by the Eagles that could be seen as an "atta boy” for franchise cornerstone and Super Bowl LII hero. If the Eagles decide that a trade is the only way to let Ertz go, they might need to take a player or a conditional draft pick in return.

Here are six suitors who make sense for Ertz entering the summer:
(All salary cap total via NFLPA’s cap report)

Arizona Cardinals
Cap Space: $13.19 million
How? Trade (or free agency after release)
Why: With the Cardinals gearing up to contend with Kyler Murray still on his rookie deal, Ertz would make a lot of sense as a receiving option in their spread offense. Ertz could team with DeAndre Hopkins, Christian Kirk and A.J. Green to create the best receiving quartet in the game. The Cardinals are shopping former Eagles linebacker Jordan Hicks, so a player-for-player swap could be a positive for Howie Roseman, who will look to sell the return in trading Ertz.

Carolina Panthers
Cap Space: $18.1 million
Why: The Panthers are looking to make the most of their trade for Sam Darnold, so pairing him with a top-tier tight end would be ideal. The Panthers would present Ertz with the opportunity to expand his value heading into free agency next year. The Eagles could probably get a conditional Day 3 pick in return.

Los Angeles Chargers
Cap Space: $19.39 million
Why: The Chargers would probably be the ideal landing spot for Ertz, as well as the Eagles. Sending Ertz to the AFC would be a smart move for Philly, and Ertz is from California, so this would be a homecoming of sorts. While the Eagles would probably take a conditional Day 3 pick in a deal, sending Ertz home and to the opposite conference would be a win for everyone involved. Ertz would get to see the Eagles in Week 9.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Cap Space: $38.6 million
How? Trade
Why: It’s hard to see Ertz wanting to sign with the Jags in free agency, but maybe a trade can get them matched up. The Jaguars are one of the few teams who can rework Ertz’s deal and give him a raise this season and beyond. The Jaguars are using Tim Tebow at tight end, so their pickings are somewhat slim. Ertz and James O’Shaughnessy could team to be a nice tight end duo for Trevor Lawrence on offense. The Eagles could try to land a player or pick in this deal.

Kansas City Chiefs
Cap Space: $8.41 million
How? Free agency after release
Why: Teaming Travis Kelce with Ertz, under the guidance of Andy Reid, seems like a match made in football heaven. Patrick Mahomes could continue his aerial assault of the league’s defenses with Ertz and Kelce running free down the field. Ertz would probably be willing to take a pay cut on a one-year deal to chase a ring and rebuild his value for free agency next year.

Indianapolis Colts
Cap Space: $13.24 million
Why: The Colts discussed Ertz with the Eagles when the two teams were negotiating the Carson Wentz trade. Now, with Ertz still on the block, Indianapolis could revisit a separate deal. While the Eagles probably don’t want to pair Ertz up with Wentz and Frank Reich, sending him to Indy with one year remaining on his deal actually helps them. If Ertz can help the Colts make the playoffs, with Wentz under center, the Eagles can get a third first-round pick next year. On top of that, the Eagles can land another asset by trading Ertz to Indy in their second deal of the offseason.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/05/6-potential-landing-spots-for-eagles-zach-ertz-where-could-tight-end-land-after-trade-or-release.html

The Jags make no real sense. I mean sure it would give Lawrence an experienced and reliable pass catcher but they'd be paying a lot of money for a team that's really not very good and won't be anytime soon. 

Howie should be able to get a 5, even if he has to wait until 2023 to get it.  The only conditional scenario is a 5th rounder that could turn into a 4 based on performance.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Jags make no real sense. I mean sure it would give Lawrence an experienced and reliable pass catcher but they'd be paying a lot of money for a team that's really not very good and won't be anytime soon. 

Plus they already have Tebow at TE.

:roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has value as a safety blanket for Lawrence, if he is struggling to get the ball to his outside guys you call a couple of shallow cross, hooks or quick outs where he can hit Ertz at 5-12 yards to get his confidence up and the chains moving.

I agree that the Chargers would a good spot for him. 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, weko said:

Howie should be able to get a 5, even if he has to wait until 2023 to get it.  The only conditional scenario is a 5th rounder that could turn into a 4 based on performance.

22 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I agree that the Chargers would a good spot for him. 

Chargers or Bills for me. (Not sure why they weren’t on list).

I’m also really keen not to give Ertz away. He was bad last season but before then he was a three time pro bowler and he’s only 30. I would want at least a 4th rounder that turns into a 3rd based on performance.

The only exception is if they were going to sign say Steven Nelson and needed the cap space. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I’m also really keen not to give Ertz away. He was bad last season but before then he was a three time pro bowler and he’s only 30. I would want at least a 4th rounder that turns into a 3rd based on performance.

At this point I'm not sure they have a choice. The cap saving is too large for a guy who doesn't want to be here. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

At this point I'm not sure they have a choice. The cap saving is too large for a guy who doesn't want to be here. 

I'm okay with it as long as we do something with the cap savings (ie sign a corner!) If we are not looking to make moves, then I would keep him, because my feeling is we can get at least a conditional 3rd - he is still young good and has a market. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm okay with it as long as we do something with the cap savings (ie sign a corner!) If we are not looking to make moves, then I would keep him, because my feeling is we can get at least a conditional 3rd - he is still young good and has a market. 

No way we get a conditional 3.  Not sure we could get a conditional 4 either

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I mean yeah I agree to some extent although they can roll cap.

2 hours ago, weko said:

No way we get a conditional 3.  Not sure we could get a conditional 4 either

Hmm - maybe. Emmauel Sanders went for a 3rd and 4th. We gave a 3rd for Golden Tate. I guess the contract isn't great, but if Ertz is anything like back to 2017-2019 Ertz he's a difference maker. Right now we are selling low.