Jack Stoll a name to watch at TE position if Eagles move on from Zach Ertz

time2rock

Jack Stoll a name to watch at TE position if Eagles move on from Zach Ertz

Jack-Stoll-Eagles-Zach-Ertz-replacement.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

June 1, 2021 6:01 am ET

The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to part ways with Zach Ertz at some point and with only Dallas Goedert as a reliable weapon at the position, one undrafted free agent could land an important role on the roster.

Jack Stoll went from potential mid-round pick to undrafted after a down final season at Nebraska, but according to Reuben Frank of NBC Sports Philadelphia, he’s a player to watch as the Ertz era is set to come to an end.

Keep an eye on rookie tight end Jack Stoll this preseason. Stoll went undrafted out of Nebraska, but assuming Zach Ertz isn’t here, Dallas Goedert is the only experienced TE on the roster. If the Eagles don’t sign Richard Rodgers or another veteran, Stoll would be competing with guys like Jason Croom, Caleb Wilson and Hakeem Butler for a roster spot. And keep in mind that the Eagles gave $122,500 in guaranteed money, more than they gave any other UDFA. That’s a lot for an undrafted rookie. That means the Eagles really wanted him. Stoll — coached at Nebraska by former Chip Kelly offensive coordinator Scott Frost — only caught nine passes in three games this past season amidst some awful Cornhuskers offense.

Stoll looks the part, standing 6-foot-4, and weighing 240 pounds. In the two previous seasons at Nebraska, Stoll caught 46 passes for 479 yards and four TDs in 2018 and 2019.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/01/philadelphia-eagles-jack-stoll-udfa-tight-end-roster-spot/?fbclid=IwAR0BX-D6Je1RVnYeR-RHXZcEZZChV4Wylc6ZWNTd-YA0KbFnjic_BV_5DpQ

Every year I read about the guaranteed money the team have given UDFAs as if it's some real important thing. And every year it seems to end up meaning nothing. 

They pay more guaranteed money so they can get these guys in because they like what they have seen. But ultimately it doesn't mean that player is more likely to make the roster. 

Ultimately the guaranteed money these guys get is a drop in the ocean really. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Every year I read about the guaranteed money the team have given UDFAs as if it's some real important thing. And every year it seems to end up meaning nothing. 

They pay more guaranteed money so they can get these guys in because they like what they have seen. But ultimately it doesn't mean that player is more likely to make the roster. 

Ultimately the guaranteed money these guys get is a drop in the ocean really. 

Agreed on the guaranteed money not meaning much when it comes to roster spots.  It just helps getting players to agree to come to our camp to allow us to get a more complete evaluation of them in our system.  

But I do think he stands a fairly decent shot at a roster spot if Ertz is moved/cut as expected (unless they bring back Rodgers or sign another vet).  We don’t really have much behind Goedert.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, time2rock said:

Agreed on the guaranteed money not meaning much when it comes to roster spots.  It just helps getting players to agree to come to our camp to allow us to get a more complete evaluation of them in our system.  

But I do think he stands a fairly decent shot at a roster spot if Ertz is moved/cut as expected (unless they bring back Rodgers or sign another vet).  We don’t really have much behind Goedert.  

Agreed. It means something in that it means the team really wanted to bring that player in to assess them further. It means nothing in terms of their actual chances of making the roster. 

But yes I agree he's got a decent shot based on the TE position. He could make the roster as TE #3 if he has a good camp. 

On 6/5/2021 at 11:51 PM, time2rock said:

My money would be on Hakeem Butler, he was a decent receiver in college (good enough to get drafted in 2019) and he runs a 4.48 forty at 6'5'' and 250lbs.