Why Nick Sirianni thinks Eagles’ coaching staff has unique advantage

time2rock

Why Nick Sirianni thinks Eagles’ coaching staff has unique advantage

Posted Jun 05, 2021
Nick Sirianni

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni speaks to the media on Friday, June 4, 2021 (6/4/21).

\

Nick Sirianni’s Eagles coaching staff is among the youngest in the NFL.

Sirianni won’t turn 40 until next week. His offensive coordinator, Shane Steichen, just turned 36. Defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon is 38, while special teams coordinator Michael Clay is 29 and linebackers coach Nick Rallis is 27.

The former college football players are still able to participate physically on the field, as they aren’t too far separated from their playing careers. Sirianni believes the staff’s ability to work through drills is a big perk for the coaches and their players.

"I just know how I learned, I’m a very visual person,” Sirianni said Friday. "The guys that have the ability to learn (audibly), that’s amazing to me. But I’m very visual. I feel like the guys – and it’s not everybody – but I feel like a lot of the guys that I’ve coached have been very visual (learners). When you’re able to move your body the way you want it to move to demonstrate a drill ... that is a huge advantage because now you can show (the players) what you want instead of telling them.”

During the final workout of the offseason program, wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead, 40, was seen running routes through cones, as he taught his group fundamentals. Tight ends coach Jason Michael, 42, pretended to play linebacker as his playmakers caught passes in individual drills. Quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson, 34, tossed passes with Jalen HurtsJoe Flacco and Jamie Newman before the workout.

Sirianni also got in on the fun, bouncing from drill to drill to offer pointers. He also worked as a defender for his wide receivers and tight ends.

"That is big,” Sirianni said. "That’s what I was taught as an education major back at Mount Union, about finding different ways of how people learn and adapt to them, and it’s just been my experience that that’s how people learn. So, I think that’s a big benefit that we have.”

Sirianni wants to compete with his players at the NovaCare Complex.

Friday, Sirianni lost a three-point shooting contest to wide receiver Greg Ward. He alluded to his loss multiple times during his final press conference before the summer break.

Earlier in the day, Sirianni instructed tight end Dallas Goedert and linebacker Eric Wilson to face off in ping pong. On the field, wide receivers DeVonta Smith and Travis Fulgham competed in a catching drill, while pass rushers Brandon Graham and Josh Sweat raced each other off the line of scrimmage.

Sirianni’s hands-on approach to the offseason competition has led to camaraderie and improvement on the field. It’s become an immersive experience for the players and the coaching staff.

"If you practice competing,” Sirianni said, "you’re going to get better at competing.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/06/why-nick-sirianni-thinks-eagles-coaching-staff-has-unique-advantage.html

Eagles at Falcons tix should be cheaper now

Well at least he's moved up from rock paper scissors to ping pong.  

• Like 1