Who do you think should be CB2

ManchesterEagle

Who do you think should be CB2 in 2021?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think should (not will) be CB2 in 2021)

• Avonte Maddox deserves another shot
    • I like what I saw from Michael Jacquet
    • Zech M will win the job!
    • Nate Meadors!
    • Torn between Jacquet, James and Maddox. I hope Zech beats them out later in the year
    • Steven Nelson (FA)
    • Bashaud Breeland (FA)
    • Gareon Conley (FA)
    • Brian Poole (FA) (We all know the Eagles love a slot corner.

I personally think we need to sign a CB2, but what would you do. 

Can see the advantages and disadvantages of Nelson, Conley and Breeland, but any of them would be a big upgrade on what we have. Need to give Gannon a chance.

• Like 1

Whatever they decide to do I don't think they can turn to the guys on the roster right now. 

Maddox is a train wreck on the outside. If he's opposite Slay we may as well give up on the season before it starts. 

Jacquet has some potential but he's a long shot as are the other guys. The best bet we have on this roster long term is probably McPhearson and even he's a long shot to be fair. If he develops in to a good depth guy or decent starter that's a huge win for a fourth round pick. 

Hopefully a 1st round pick in 2022.

This year?  Does it even matter with this group of scrubs?

• Like 2

I dont remember seeing anything from Jacquet but I voted for him because I think we should have two corners with cool nicknames (big play slay and straight jacquet)

• Like 2

Gareon Conley or Steven Nelson.  They desperately need to bring someone in that isn't a slot corner.  

• Like 1

Voted Avonte not because he deserves another shot, but because I don’t see us paying anyone else and he’s probably still the best option there. Hoping Howie pulls off one of his pre-TC trades though

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

With good coaching and hard work Jacquet could be outstanding.

Jacquet was really bad in that last game against Dallas. Really, really bad.  Maddox has been terrible the past two years.  Seymour isn't much better. Based on the roster, I would almost be ready to start Zech just based on the fact we don't know if he stinks and we know the others do.  Howie needs to sign Nelson or someone else. But, no matter what, CB figures to be our biggest weakness this year even if we address it with Nelson or someone else. Next year could be a Lito-Sheldon draft with 2 CBs early.

• Like 1

How about, don't care for this year. 

Breeland is not a FA. He signed with the Vikings. You can take him off the list. 

Jacquet got absolutely rinsed a number of times last year - not sure why people are voting for him?

5 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Breeland is not a FA. He signed with the Vikings. You can take him off the list. 

Just saw it happened a few days ago, but can't seem to alter poll? Any idea how?

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Hopefully a 1st round pick in 2022.

This year?  Does it even matter with this group of scrubs?

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

How about, don't care for this year. 

Three reasons why I think we need at least a serviceable CB2:

1) To properly evaluate Gannon. First year DC, want to at least give him a chance to produce a decent D.

2) To help Hurts. Hurts was really bad last year after the D was getting shredded by Arizona and Dallas. Part of that was on Doug's playcalling, but Hurts is a competitor and I think if the D sucks too much it may lead to him forcing things and turning it over. 

3) There is a small chance we could be competitive. I do think this team is better than the disaster that was last year. It starts with Hurts, the new coaching staff and better health. Even then, there is a number of questions, but if a lot of those go right, then I do believe this team could challenge. We have a number of good 30 year plus players (Graham, Cox, Brooks, Johnson, Kelce, Slay, McLeod etc), so I'm reluctant to just tank if we have a last window with them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Three reasons why I think we need at least a serviceable CB2:

1) To properly evaluate Gannon. First year DC, want to at least give him a chance to produce a decent D.

2) To help Hurts. Hurts was really bad last year after the D was getting shredded by Arizona and Dallas. Part of that was on Doug's playcalling, but Hurts is a competitor and I think if the D sucks too much it may lead to him forcing things and turning it over. 

3) There is a small chance we could be competitive. I do think this team is better than the disaster that was last year. It starts with Hurts, the new coaching staff and better health. Even then, there is a number of questions, but if a lot of those go right, then I do believe this team could challenge. We have a number of good 30 year plus players (Graham, Cox, Brooks, Johnson, Kelce, Slay, McLeod etc), so I'm reluctant to just tank if we have a last window with them.

Jim Schwartz managed to produce a passable defense with the worst secondary talent in the league, I don't expect Gang Green but Gannon doesn't get a pass because he hasn't got a big name #2 corners

Also, Gareon Conley is a 2017 1st round pick who currently can't buy a spot on an NFL roster, that isn't generally regarded as a sign of immense talent. At best he's a reclamation project but more likely he's a guy getting one last payday on the basis of what he did in college half a decade ago.

• Like 1

The Eagles have been very quiet lately. I keep looking for news of signing a CB. 

Maybe we need to get closer to camp opening to create urgency for sides to reach a deal.

Maybe the Zach Ertz trade and potential Dallas Goedert extension are gumming up the works.

WTF are we doing? Nothing.

Heading into the draft, I felt CB2 was our biggest need. That does not mean it's the end of the world because we missed out  on some of the top prospects. They way I look at it, if Maddox can stay healthy, well ... we've had worse starting CBs on the outside. I expect him to challenge for the slot CB position, though. That leaves Jacquet. He was very raw last year, but he showed developmental promise. Ideally, you'd groom him behind someone for a couple seasons, but if you're forced to play him, you just have to hope he gets better each game.  I think we are fine at Safety, which should help if either Maddox, Zech or Jacquet has to start at CB2. In other words, I don't think it's as awful a situation as it's made out to be, but improvement would be very nice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Jim Schwartz managed to produce a passable defense with the worst secondary talent in the league, I don't expect Gang Green but Gannon doesn't get a pass because he hasn't got a big name #2 corners

I know we are agreed that Schwartz was massively underrated here. But even he struggled last year with the talent available.

Not saying Gannon needs a big name CB2 but even a serviceable Jalen Mills type corner would be an improvement.

If the Eagles truly want to compete this year, they'll have to sign either Nelson or Conley...or make a trade for someone.  It's possible that the addition of Anthony Harris along with a big step forward for Wallace could improve the safety play and help "hide" the deficiency at CB2.  

Unless Jalen Hurts craps the bed, CB almost has to be the #1 priority next offseason.  Slay is getting older and while still serviceable, he will more than likely decline.  So in essence, we will really need 2 corners after this season.

The CB we should have taken in the 2nd round of this past draft

17 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Jacquet was really bad in that last game against Dallas. Really, really bad.  Maddox has been terrible the past two years.  Seymour isn't much better. Based on the roster, I would almost be ready to start Zech just based on the fact we don't know if he stinks and we know the others do.  Howie needs to sign Nelson or someone else. But, no matter what, CB figures to be our biggest weakness this year even if we address it with Nelson or someone else. Next year could be a Lito-Sheldon draft with 2 CBs early.

I agree.  The 4th rounder is going to be thrown in the lineup before he's ready by default. We have no one else to play there at the moment, but I'm sure we trade for or sign a CB by the beginning of camp

4 hours ago, mihailo said:

I think I should personally. Can't be much worse than what we got :P

You'd very likely be an upgrade.

11 hours ago, mihailo said:

I think I should personally. Can't be much worse than what we got :P

Howie might have to hold auditions for wannabe  "Vince Papales"  to play CB. Bartenders, bus drivers, zookeepers or anyone who has any dreams of playing CB in the NFL, now is your chance. "Invinceable II".

• Haha 1