2020 NFL Draft: How Howie Roseman created 3 draft picks out of thin air

Procus

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/2020-nfl-draft-how-howie-roseman-trade-draft-picks

2020 NFL Draft: How Howie Roseman created 3 draft picks out of thin air

Say what you want about Howie Roseman, one thing he’s brilliant at is creating draft picks out of thin air.

Through some draft-day sleight-of-hand, Roseman on Saturday managed turn one compensatory pick into four picks.

Here’s how he did it:

→ One of the compensatory picks the Eagles were awarded for net free agency gain and loss in 2019 was No. 146 overall, one of their three original 4th-round picks going into the draft.

→ The Eagles traded that pick to the Cowboys for pick No. 164 in the fifth round this year and a 5th-round pick in 2021.

→ They they took that No. 164 and traded it to the Dolphins for two picks in this year’s draft - No. 173 and No. 227.

→ Then they took both those picks - No. 173 and 227 - and shipped them to the Bears for three picks in this year’s draft: No. 196, No. 200 and No. 233.

→ So the original No. 146 turned into four picks.

→ Roseman also turned No. 190 overall into No. 210 and speedy but oft-injured wide receiver Marquise Goodwin.

Now, it’s one thing to create picks out of nothing. It’s another thing to draft players with those picks than can help the Eagles win.

But the more picks you have the better your odds.

After the series of trades Saturday, the Eagles used No. 196 on linebacker Shaun Bradley from Rancocas Valley High School in Mount Holly, N.J.; No. 200 on Southern Miss receiver Quez Watkins, No. 210 on offensive tackle Prince Tega Wanogho and No. 233 on Stanford linebacker Casey Toohill.

The Eagles currently have seven picks in the 2021 draft. They traded their 4th-round pick to the Browns in October for Genard Avery, but they have two 5th-round picks - their own and the one from the Cowboys in the pick for No. 164.

I mean... OK? Seems to be giving Howie a little too much credit there. He took picks and then turned them in to extra picks by trading. Most teams do it every year in the later round.

It's not like he suddenly created picks at the end of extra round and Goddell was stood there saying "wait a minute where did that come from".

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean... OK? Seems to be giving Howie a little too much credit there. He took picks and then turned them in to extra picks by trading. Most teams do it every year in the later round.

It's not like he suddenly created picks at the end of extra round and Goddell was stood there saying "wait a minute where did that come from".

Because he drafted a qb in round 2 is he not allowed credit for any good work outside that? Fact is he swapped a 5th rounder for a 5th next year and got 3 extra picks in this draft. That’s a good return in anyone’s books.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

Because he drafted a qb in round 2 is he not allowed credit for any good work outside that? Fact is he swapped a 5th rounder for a 5th next year and got 3 extra picks in this draft. That’s a good return in anyone’s books.

That's great, I'm surprised he didn't draft three kickers so we could become a "Kicker Factory"

2 minutes ago, Perforator said:

That's great, I'm surprised he didn't draft three kickers so we could become a "Kicker Factory"

Yeh well he didn’t, he drafted two lbs and a wr with them. If one of them even makes the roster then it was a good move. But you’re right, everything about this draft was terrible and it can be immediately judged as cataclismic.

I think Howie is great at this kind of stuff. He is a cap Guru but his drafts have shown that he should be locked out of the war room and placed in isolation on draft day.

15 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

You can't give him credit for doing what a lot of GMs do every year. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can't give him credit for doing what a lot of GMs do every year. 

If you could give me one example of a gm turning one late round pick into 4 I’ll concede.

4 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

If you could give me one example of a gm turning one late round pick into 4 I’ll concede.

I mean that's very specific. I'm just saying GMs swap picks, gain extra picks all the time. 

Not sure you should be chanting ‘HERO’ for Rosie over this. Probably was a bad trade that gave the Cowboys their starting C. So we could move back from 140 to 200s. Time will tell how it works out. But if Biadasz becomes their starting C in their time of greatest need...,it actually seems more like a time for someone to be fired!

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He also loses all his attaboys making 3 late picks when he tosses his high second round pick in the crapper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

He also loses all his attaboys making 3 late picks when he tosses his high second round pick in the crapper.

Especially after he told us all how valuable that pick was!

• Like 1