Eagles sign QB Nick Mullens

Talonblood

6 hours ago, T-1000 said:

18 games over the last two seasons with 25 TD's, 22 INT's, a completion percentage of 64.5 percent, and QB rating of 87.2. The Eagles could certainly do worse for a 3rd QB.

I’d say last year the Eagles actually did worse at Quarterback. 

• Like 2

Rumor has it, paper was the winner in rock, paper, scissors. We now officially have a QB competition. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Honestly rather they took another flyer on a UDFA, the 49er's thought Sudfeld was an upgrade on this guy.

Flacco makes sense as a back up because he's been there, seen it and done that as a starter in the NFL, but what can Mullens teach a prospective starter beyond 'how to completely blow your one shot?' They might as well pay me $910k to watch game tape with QB1.

Nothing is written in stone. They still may drop this guy and pick someone also closer to camp. 

• Like 1

IMO, this is another good signing. Obviously, we needed a 3rd QB. Mullens is a young QB with plenty of experience. What I've always liked about him is he's a competitor. I have a feeling Siriani's  going to really like that about him. 

Based on the reactions around here, it doesn't seem like fans think much about him. Personally, I think as a backup, he kind of brings that "fire" that Koy Detmer used to bring, but he's a little better all around as a passer. He's not easy to rattle and he's not afraid to take a hit to make a play. He has some fearlessness in him that makes him easy to route for. I don't expect him to compete for a starting role, but if he makes the team and injuries force him to play, He's not as bad as some are making him out to be. IMO, he's a better QB than Jimmy G, but the 49ers invested so much in Jimmy G that Mullens wasn't really groomed to be a "future starter." I'm pretty sure the reason the 49ers chose to bring in Sudfeld is because they knew they were drafting their future QB and didn't want a guy like Mullens in the equation.

Anyway, this is our current QB3. It's a huge upgrade over the QB3 we just released.

• Like 1

Needed another guy to throw balls in camp and preseason. I doubt that they keep 3 qb's on the final roster anyway.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, time2rock said:

At least it wasn't a butt fumble.  

Mullens2.jpg

I realize that is actually a good play for us, but that really reminds me of the old Sean Considine photoshop thread. :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

IMO, this is another good signing. Obviously, we needed a 3rd QB. Mullens is a young QB with plenty of experience. What I've always liked about him is he's a competitor. I have a feeling Siriani's  going to really like that about him. 

Based on the reactions around here, it doesn't seem like fans think much about him. Personally, I think as a backup, he kind of brings that "fire" that Koy Detmer used to bring, but he's a little better all around as a passer. He's not easy to rattle and he's not afraid to take a hit to make a play. He has some fearlessness in him that makes him easy to route for. I don't expect him to compete for a starting role, but if he makes the team and injuries force him to play, He's not as bad as some are making him out to be. IMO, he's a better QB than Jimmy G, but the 49ers invested so much in Jimmy G that Mullens wasn't really groomed to be a "future starter." I'm pretty sure the reason the 49ers chose to bring in Sudfeld is because they knew they were drafting their future QB and didn't want a guy like Mullens in the equation.

Anyway, this is our current QB3. It's a huge upgrade over the QB3 we just released.

Overall the idea of the 3rd quarterback was supposed to be a developmental type of guy, and I don’t think this guy really fits that mold, and at 26 he is not all that young. On top of that his last impression on Eagles fans was watching him look putrid in a bad display of quarterback play (from both teams) that set the position back 80 years. The only signing that could possibly have been worse would be signing Ben DiNucci.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall the idea of the 3rd quarterback was supposed to be a developmental type of guy, and I don’t think this guy really fits that mold, and at 26 he is not all that young. On top of that his last impression on Eagles fans was watching him look putrid in a bad display of quarterback play (from both teams) that set the position back 80 years. The only signing that could possibly have been worse would be signing Ben DiNucci.

Mark Sanchez says hello.  

:P

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Mark Sanchez says hello.  

:P

Been there. Done that. 😂

• Haha 2

I am okay if Mullens sticks around several years as a backup.

But, if we're gonna be a "QB factory", we're gonna need a premium developmental QB.

Maybe spend some of that draft capital next year on a 2nd or 3rd round QB prospect.

Bit of a strange one if it’s as a 3rd QB. surely he gets in ahead of flaccid flacco?

actually didn't have that bad a season last year - better than wentz anyway 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

There is no point in having a developmental QB3 when your QB1 is developmental. When you know you have your franchise QB on your roster and he's locked up for the next few years, then it makes sense to try to develop a raw prospect. But when your QB1 is basically a young, untested player thrust into a starting role without actually having earned it, You had better have a viable Plan B and Plan C. 

Obviously we don't agree about Mullens, but I believe he'll add to the competition at QB2. I don't expect to see him start any games unless injuries force him to play. I don't think the team views him as competition for Hurts, but I do think they want to see if he can learn the offense and potentially be the QB2 after this season --- maybe even sooner. 

I don't really care about last impressions. I doubt you do either . Heck if last impressions were so important, why aren't you singing JJAW's praises? He had his best game as a pro in week 17. Hurts didn't look too good in that one, but ... again ... I'm not worried. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

There is no point in having a developmental QB3 when your QB1 is developmental. When you know you have your franchise QB on your roster and he's locked up for the next few years, then it makes sense to try to develop a raw prospect. But when your QB1 is basically a young, untested player thrust into a starting role without actually having earned it, You had better have a viable Plan B and Plan C. 

Obviously we don't agree about Mullens, but I believe he'll add to the competition at QB2. I don't expect to see him start any games unless injuries force him to play. I don't think the team views him as competition for Hurts, but I do think they want to see if he can learn the offense and potentially be the QB2 after this season --- maybe even sooner. 

I don't really care about last impressions. I doubt you do either . Heck if last impressions were so important, why aren't you singing JJAW's praises? He had his best game as a pro in week 17. Hurts didn't look too good in that one, but ... again ... I'm not worried. 

I think Hurts is "their guy” for now at least, but I’m not fully sure that’s even set in stone. Even though Mullens isn’t a developmental quarterback he’s not exactly that good either. Of course he also had to deal with a bad situation in Sanfran so that could be part of the problem there too. Overall the Eagles quarterback situation doesn’t feel like it’s in a good place. Management and the coaches haven’t committed to the starter. The starter they drafted and probably cost them Wentz. The "QB Factory” looks more like a retread factory than a group capable of developing young talent and flipping them for picks. 

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

But you know what you're getting in Mullens, if you put him in a team with the best Tight End in the NFL, a good rookie WR in Aiyuk and two top ten picks at tackle, he'll still throw as many picks as TD's, that level isn't going to help your anointed starter learn from their experience nor develop into a tradeable asset on a one year contract.

They should've taken a UDFA with a good work ethic and a reputation for being a good study.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

But you know what you're getting in Mullens, if you put him in a team with the best Tight End in the NFL, a good rookie WR in Aiyuk and two top ten picks at tackle, he'll still throw as many picks as TD's, that level isn't going to help your anointed starter learn from their experience nor develop into a tradeable asset on a one year contract.

They should've taken a UDFA with a good work ethic and a reputation for being a good study.

I don't think they are looking to develop a tradeable asset. Neither Mullens nor Flacco is signed beyond 2021. That means figuring out QB2 is more important than investing time in a project that may or may not return a draft pick (see Sudfeld). Meanwhile, how is the rest of your team developing when your QB3 can't carry his own weight on the practice field?

On paper, finding a hidden gem and keeping it around long enough to trade for something valuable in the future is a great thought. How often does it actually happen --- especially at QB?

What number will Mullens where? Probably a top seller for jerseys.

Is he in town yet? How does he order his cheesesteak?

18 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Probably number #whocares.

😁

On 6/16/2021 at 7:37 AM, CouchKing said:

Wit,Whiz

While I like the idea of grooming a young Qb and thought maybe we had one as an Udfa. I kind of think that maybe having a 3rd string qb with a number of nfl starts might help bring some of our young wr’s and rb’s along.

So much discussion over a 3rd string QB. If it comes down to that your season is over.

14 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

So much discussion over a 3rd string QB. If it comes down to that your season is over.

So much upside for Mullens. He could be second string by this time next year.

I read the thread title and my first thought was "We signed an old NBA player to play QB?"

51Y32qerplL._AC_SX342_.jpg

Mullens is signed to a one year deal. 

Big mistake by Howie on a guy that will probably see at least one or two starts this year.

On 6/15/2021 at 5:20 PM, CouchKing said:

I am okay if Mullens sticks around several years as a backup.

But, if we're gonna be a "QB factory", we're gonna need a premium developmental QB.

Maybe spend some of that draft capital next year on a 2nd or 3rd round QB prospect.

No, no more seconds spent on a QB meant to just be a backup.