Les Bowen final column

Hawkeye

Longtime Eagles Inquirer beat writer Les Bowen has taken a buyout and called it a career.  Les covered the Eagles for two decades and handled the Flyers beat for years before that.  I always enjoyed his insight, conversational writing style and his Eagles content on various platforms. 

More and more of the old school newspaper "beat" guys are hanging up their laptops, replaced by thinly credentialed Twitter accounts with little more than superficial "hot takes".   Les did his homework and worked the beat. Good luck. 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/les-bowen-inquirer-daily-news-eagles-flyers-20210619.html

• Like 14
  • Sad 3

Wonder if he still is able to pop into training camp from time to time if he wanted to do some sort of blog writing or if Eagles would be strict on him needing media credentials. 

Beat writers are going the way of the dodo. There used to be limited media presence so the only information we would be able to get is from the beat writers. Now with cameras everywhere, radio/podcasts with their 'hot takes' and  every Tom, Dick and Sally trying to get the scoop we are inundated with media from everywhere drowning each other out.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Longtime Eagles Inquirer beat writer Les Bowen has taken a buyout and called it a career.  Les covered the Eagles for two decades and handled the Flyers beat for years before that.  I always enjoyed his insight, conversational writing style and his Eagles content on various platforms. 

More and more of the old school newspaper "beat" guys are hanging up their laptops, replaced by thinly credentialed Twitter accounts with little more than superficial "hot takes".   Les did his homework and worked the beat. Good luck. 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/les-bowen-inquirer-daily-news-eagles-flyers-20210619.html

Well said Hawkeye.  Journalism as we knew it is largely dead.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Beat writers are going the way of the dodo. There used to be limited media presence so the only information we would be able to get is from the beat writers. Now with cameras everywhere, radio/podcasts with their 'hot takes' and  every Tom, Dick and Sally trying to get the scoop we are inundated with media from everywhere drowning each other out.

Anyone with any level of interest in a sport can now be a member of the media. If you have a laptop and an interest in writing articles and blogs then you can be a member of the media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Anyone with any level of interest in a sport can now be a member of the media. If you have a laptop and an interest in writing articles and blogs then you can be a member of the media.

You correctly did not mention ability or qualifications. There's some Pretty Pizz Poor Product out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

You correctly did not mention ability or qualifications. There's some Pretty Pizz Poor Product out there.

3 hours ago, pallidrone said:

This is what leads to the "blame the media" mentality:  there's a distinction between guys like Les who spend decades in the Philly sports scene, cultivating sources, earning respect and learning what sports journalism in Philadelphia is all about vs. a random guy with an opinion and a working internet connection.   

I'm not saying the legacy guys always get it right - no one does or can - but they have contacts and context and know the rules.  But these days, they're lumped in with the previously mentioned "hot take" podcasters and essentially commoditized.  It's a shame.  But yeah, they're going the way of the horse and buggy.  

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

This is what leads to the "blame the media" mentality:  there's a distinction between guys like Les who spend decades in the Philly sports scene, cultivating sources, earning respect and learning what sports journalism in Philadelphia is all about vs. a random guy with an opinion and a working internet connection.   

I'm not saying the legacy guys always get it right - no one does or can - but they have contacts and context and know the rules.  But these days, they're lumped in with the previously mentioned "hot take" podcasters and essentially commoditized.  It's a shame.  But yeah, they're going the way of the horse and buggy.  

It’s kind of a chicken-and-egg thing, though. The lack of objectivity is what caused the masses to search for other outlets in the first place.

Also, the "new media” approach has not only caused a lot of bad. It’s also produced a lot brilliant insight that wouldn’t have been allowed otherwise.

I totally agree about infotainment, though. That is a scourge on society. (Then again, haven’t guys like ESP and Jeff McLane become more infotainment than substance? They’re old media.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SB52 said:

It’s kind of a chicken-and-egg thing, though. The lack of objectivity is what caused the masses to search for other outlets in the first place.

Also, the "new media” approach has not only caused a lot of bad. It’s also produced a lot brilliant insight that wouldn’t have been allowed otherwise.

I totally agree about infotainment, though. That is a scourge on society. (Then again, haven’t guys like ESP and Jeff McLane become more infotainment than substance? They’re old media.)

This is a really good post. You’re right - it’s complicated. On the one hand,  guys like McLane have to play to the audience. They get paid on engagement and impressions. That’s how the whole media business works anymore. On the other hand, they lose a lot of credibility when they pander for likes. But I guess that comes with the territory. 

And I don’t thing objectivity is the issue in sports journalism.  Opinions have driven sports coverage for centuries.  It’s what we want, if not what we say.

35 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

This is a really good post. You’re right - it’s complicated. On the one hand,  guys like McLane have to play to the audience. They get paid on engagement and impressions. That’s how the whole media business works anymore. On the other hand, they lose a lot of credibility when they pander for likes. But I guess that comes with the territory. 

And I don’t thing objectivity is the issue in sports journalism.  Opinions have driven sports coverage for centuries.  It’s what we want, if not what we say.

I should have been more nuanced in the first paragraph. There are a multitude of reasons for the changing environment. I lumped "hot takes” and everything else I personally don’t like into one (incorrect) phrase.

More importantly, it seems to have been proven that, as of now, mainstream audiences most certainly do like the hot takes. In turn, I’m quite certain that’s what the bosses demand. (I’d give Angelo Cataldi credit for being before his time, but I believe his style becoming the norm is more due to "Idiocracy” come to life than any other factor.)

The shame of it all is that many in the "hot take crowd” are very thoughtful and nuanced. Years ago I heard Stephen A. Smith on the radio (not playing the character) and he was great. However, the character made him an icon, so he’s damn sure doing something right.

To come full circle, Bowen was a guy with many strong opinions (ever since the Daily News Live days), but they didn’t seem forced. More importantly, he seemed to try to base the opinions on facts and would often re-examine if new facts presented themselves.

12 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Oh without doubt. There's a lot of very poor content of there. Even having a good level of knowledge doesn't seem to be necessary. 

We won't see the likes of Les again, quality sports journalism (or indeed journalism of any stripe) costs money to produce which means it either has to be funded by subscribers or advertisers, subscribers won't pay in enough numbers for a long read about the Eagles, when they can read @JuicedLane74929 say that they suck in 280 characters or read BigDickNick69's weekly rant in a blog for free, so Papers either turn to advertisers who want bullet point content sanitised of any character or controversy or they turn to media conglomerates who want another outlet for their thinly veiled political agenda and then papers wonder why their web traffic keeps falling.

It's a shame but you can't turn back the internet.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

And I don’t thing objectivity is the issue in sports journalism.  Opinions have driven sports coverage for centuries.  It’s what we want, if not what we say.

That is because sports itself is a very emotional endeavor. We attach ourselves to a team for different reasons, whether it is because of location, or it is passed down through the family or something as simple as liking the colors, and become bonded to that. That bond transcends over time and gives us the up and downs and we crave more and more of it. We want to express our love to others that share that same passion as us. We want to hear people have the same opinion as we do and if they don't we want to drown them out because of our love for the team.

Once we create that bond with a sports team it is impossible to break. Even when they rip your heart out year after year and you dont believe that they will win, you will still defend them to the opponent and root for them to win at every opportunity. This is why we say stupid things like 'I don't think they are going to win, but I hope I am wrong'. This is why I have been on EMB in one way shape or form since 1998.

That is why politics (Democrat vs Republican) and brands (Apple vs Microsoft) have tried so desperately to replicate the same us versus them mentality that sports creates organically. Once that bond is created all logic and reason goes out the window and groups/people want to exploit that as much as possible.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:22 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

Wonder if he still is able to pop into training camp from time to time if he wanted to do some sort of blog writing or if Eagles would be strict on him needing media credentials. 

Howie would be strict but players would let him in. He’s loved as much as D Gunn. 

On 6/21/2021 at 2:09 PM, pallidrone said:

yes...exactly....the goal now is click bait....and whatever it takes....which usually means taking a joking or harmless comment and turning it into a "Story"...with a big headline...

I always liked Les and enjoyed his perspective. It's a shame to see him to go.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy Les's work, he puts a little personality in his writing. He's one of the writers I follow on Twitter. I wasn't sure how he fit into the Inquirer staff, but he did. So at least we got a few more years of his columns. He's done this job long enough, now he's free to work on his own terms. Domowitch was just bought out too; it seems like Inquirer is turning over the old Daily News staff.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy Les's work, he puts a little personality in his writing. He's one of the writers I follow on Twitter. I wasn't sure how he fit into the Inquirer staff, but he did. So at least we got a few more years of his columns. He's done this job long enough, now he's free to work on his own terms. Domowitch was just bought out too; it seems like Inquirer is turning over the old Daily News staff.

The Inquirer as we knew it is finished.  It is not the same publication.  Now, its more akin to a local paper.  There is no more cutting edge journalism - it's finished.  Just the Inquirer in name only right now.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, Hawkeye said:

I think McLane is decent...he seems to have legit sources and comes out with some pretty good intel once in a while.  ESP though...he is completely ridiculous and literally poses the opposite take on whatever the consensus says about a topic.  ESP is a glorified blogger with hot takes and opinion and no substance.

I don't mind bloggers as long as they approach topics with rationale and substance.  Some of them can be a good way to gain a different understanding or see a different point of view on a matter...or perhaps just something to relate to because you feel the same way.  

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

I think McLane is decent...he seems to have legit sources and comes out with some pretty good intel once in a while.  ESP though...he is completely ridiculous and literally poses the opposite take on whatever the consensus says about a topic.  ESP is a glorified blogger with hot takes and opinion and no substance.

I don't mind bloggers as long as they approach topics with rationale and substance.  Some of them can be a good way to gain a different understanding or see a different point of view on a matter...or perhaps just something to relate to because you feel the same way.  

I never cared for McLane - primarily because he's an A-hole and has been known to make stuff up.  That being said, for the most part, he's a legit sportswriter.  And way what you want, he's not in the business of writing blogs about blogs written by other writers.

• Like 1

Had a few nice interactions with him on Twitter. Good reporter 

On 6/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, SB52 said:

Trying to adapt to "the new reality"? I don't think they're old enough to retire yet.