USFL relaunching spring 2022

Procus

I remember the first USFL, and it was a great professional league.  No reason at all why there shouldn't be football in the springtime - perfect time of the year to watch a game.  The old USFL had some top notch  talent too.  Too bad it ended prematurely on the foolhardy push to the fall and antitrust suit against the NFL.

I see Fox is a partner with the new league.  My question is where will these teams play.  I would think, for instance, in Philly, that the team would have a tough time managing to get use of the Linc -but who knows.  Would be great to see another league again with quality football.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31559189/usfl-relaunching-spring-2022-least-eight-teams

How many times are people going to try to start up a league?  It seams to be hard to break into the market.

I can think of a few leagues since the 80's and  90's: AFL, CFL, IFL, UFL, FXFL, USFL, XFL.   The XFL folded twice.

23 hours ago, dweagle said:

How many times are people going to try to start up a league?  It seams to be hard to break into the market.

I can think of a few leagues since the 80's and  90's: AFL, CFL, IFL, UFL, FXFL, USFL, XFL.   The XFL folded twice.

The original USFL would have succeeded if it held out a few more years.  There was some serious talent in the league, and a market for football in the spring.  The NFL owners would have cried uncle if the league held out until 1990.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, Procus said:

The original USFL would have succeeded if it held out a few more years.  There was some serious talent in the league, and a market for football in the spring.  The NFL owners would have cried uncle if the league held out until 1990.

If the USFL had just stuck to Spring football, they'd probably still be going now,  the people talking about arena football and XFL, the USFL was a completely different animal from those, it wasn't a last chance saloon for failed NFL UDFA's and back ups who couldn't get another NFL contract, it was legit good football with real talent playing, 

I'll be damned if I understand why they decided to take a swing at the NFL by trying to switch to a fall season, it made no sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I'll be damned if I understand why they decided to take a swing at the NFL by trying to switch to a fall season, it made no sense.

As I understand, Trump pretty much forced the league's hand.  It was still losing money, and the antitrust trial against the NFL was taken as a shot.  Of course nobody expected a $1 verdict

• 2 weeks later...

I was a huge Stars fan, back then. Wish they'd been able to keep going. I don't see it lasting now, though. Unless they leave politics off the field and just play football, where the NFL doesn't/won't, I just don't think massive numbers of fans will jump ship. Fanbases are too set in stone. 

But you never know. 

There's room enough for another league in the football universe. Even if it only turns out to be the football version of AAA Baseball, the NFL needs that too. 

• 1 month later...

Arena League was far and away the most successful alternate pro football league.  I think there is a space for a developmental league but College Football div 1A mafia keeps getting in the way.

• 9 months later...

So, the Stars are in the Championship game again. The USFL has never had a Championship in which the Philadelphia (later Baltimore) Stars did not play. That tradition continues with the new USFL. 

• Like 1

These are the "Philadelphia" Stars though

Never set foot in the 215

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fresh_Prince said:

lol Yeah, I actually meant to type "Philadelphia" but just didn't. Of course, to be fair, I've never in my life been to Philadelphia either and have only been across the PA border twice (as far as I can remember). And both times were when I was about 10 to 12 years old, going skiing at Ski Liberty. 

10 hours ago, Fresh_Prince said:

And the original Stars actually moved to Baltimore for the 1985 season.

Trump is what wrecked the original league.  He bought the Generals with the intent of forcing a merger with the NFL following the 1985 season.  The USFL actually won their lawsuit but were only awarded $1 (tripled to $3) in damages: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/11/the-day-donald-trumps-narcissism-killed-the-usfl

Trump had bought the Generals in late 1983 after first attempting to buy the Cowboys for $50 Million, which at the time would have been the all-time record price for a professional sports franchise.  That offer was rejected and began what now is an almost 40-year personal vendetta against the NFL. 

• Like 2

Clayton Thorson is a starting QB in this league, Its already dead

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:50 AM, Wallyhorse said:

And the original Stars actually moved to Baltimore for the 1985 season.

Trump is what wrecked the original league.  He bought the Generals with the intent of forcing a merger with the NFL following the 1985 season.  The USFL actually won their lawsuit but were only awarded $1 (tripled to $3) in damages: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/11/the-day-donald-trumps-narcissism-killed-the-usfl

Trump had bought the Generals in late 1983 after first attempting to buy the Cowboys for $50 Million, which at the time would have been the all-time record price for a professional sports franchise.  That offer was rejected and began what now is an almost 40-year personal vendetta against the NFL. 

business as usual for him. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, PoconoDon said:

There's room enough for another league in the football universe. Even if it only turns out to be the football version of AAA Baseball, the NFL needs that too. 

Yes it does. Getting to the NFL for most college players is an uphill battle. Getting to the NFL from a small "what's football?" school is nearly impossible. USFL provides another stage/route.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...