Eagles select a CB, OL, Edge, and S in Draft Wire's latest 2022 NFL mock draft

time2rock

Eagles select a CB, OL, Edge, and S in Draft Wire's latest 2022 NFL mock draft

Glenn Erby 

June 29, 2021 5:52 am ET

As the Eagles prepare for the start of the 2021 NFL season, it’s never too early for projections and predictions about the 2022 draft class.

Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling projected an early two-round mock draft, using the latest Super Bowl odds to determine the pick order:

without projecting the Colts’ potential 1st round pick based on Carson Wentz’s production, the Eagles landed an A+ draft haul, highlighted by LSU star cornerback Derek Stingley Jr.

The Eagles followed up with another All-American center at pick No. 20, followed by two-star defenders with their second-round picks.

4. Philadelphia Eagles Derek Stingley Jr. | CB | LSU

Derek-Stingley-Jr.-NFL-Draft-2022-e16200

Jan 13, 2020; New Orleans, Louisiana, USA; LSU Tigers cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. (24) in action against the Clemson Tigers in the College Football Playoff national championship game at Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

If the Eagles are picking this early again in 2022, then the Jalen Hurts’ experience at quarterback likely didn’t result in Philadelphia improving on their 4-11-1 record and last-place finish in the NFC East. Landing the No. 4 overall pick would put the Birds in a position to finally get a lockdown cornerback that can anchor the secondary for the next decade.

After spending the first two years in Baton Rouge fine-tuning his skills, Stingley Jr. is playing for money and a spot in the top five of the 2022 draft process.

20. Philadelphia Eagles (from MIA) Tyler Linderbaum | OL | Iowa

Tyler-Linderbaum-Draft-Wire-mock.jpg

Dec 5, 2020; Champaign, Illinois, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes offensive lineman Tyler Linderbaum (65) hugs tight end Sam LaPorta (84) after scoring a touchdown during the first half against the Illinois Fighting Illini at Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Patrick Gorski-USA TODAY Sports

A former defensive tackle, Linderbaum has turned himself into an All-American center and the versatile offensive linemen would continue the Eagles retool along the offensive front.

With Jason Kelce expected to retire at the season’s end, Linderbaum could transition to center or guard depending on what Philadelphia wants to do.

Philadelphia Eagles Nik Bonitto | EDGE | Oklahoma

Nick-Bonitto-Draft-Wire-mock.jpg

Oct 10, 2020; Dallas, Texas, USA; Oklahoma Sooners linebacker Nik Bonitto (11) looks in over the line at Texas Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger (11) during the first quarter of the Red River Showdown at Cotton Bowl. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Dieb-USA TODAY Sports

Listed as an outside linebacker for the Sooners, Bonitto fits the mold of the Von Miller-style edge rusher, who can also effectively drop back in coverage.

Bonitto operates as more of an edge rusher, and his nine sacks in 2020 led the Sooners, as he was college football’s most productive pass rusher, according to Pro Football Focus.

56. Philadelphia Eagles (from IND) Jordan Battle | S | Alabama

Jordan-Battle-Draft-Wire.jpg

Jan 1, 2021; Arlington, TX, USA; Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book (12) scrambles away from pressure by Alabama defensive back Jordan Battle (9) Friday, Jan. 1, 2021 in the College Football Playoff Semifinal hosted by the Rose Bowl in AT&T Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby-USA TODAY Sports

Battle returned to school rather than test the draft waters and he’ll lead the Tides defense.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:57 PM, Procus said:

An exercise in mas tur ba tion at this stage

And aside from that completely unrealistic. If the Eagles end up with the 4th overall pick, that means that Hurts isn't very good and that pick will be used to either trade for or draft a QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stingley Jr? Yes please. Chances of that actually happening...slim to none.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:58 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

And aside from that completely unrealistic. If the Eagles end up with the 4th overall pick, that means that Hurts isn't very good and that pick will be used to either trade for or draft a QB.

True.  There are other possibilities that could lead to the 4th overall pick that does not involve Hurts sucking (e.g. **knock on wood** he gets hurt early in the season and misses most of it).  

Just now, time2rock said:

True.  There are other possibilities that could lead to the 4th overall pick that does not involve Hurts sucking (e.g. **knock on wood** he gets hurt early in the season and misses most of it).  

Or the Colts pick ends up 4th overall as Wentz plays 75+% of their snaps in a terrible 3 win season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Or the Colts pick ends up 4th overall as Wentz plays 75+% of their snaps in a terrible 3 win season.

I'm going to be cautiously rooting against the Colts next year. We want them to suck, but not so badly that they bench Wentz (or he develops a mysterious injury) just before 75%. The Dolphins we can just openly root against. I'm even hoping the Pats get good again so they can take two games off them.

On 7/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

It's entirely possible we have a losing record and Hurts looks good, but in fact almost the dream for the team next year (apart from 'oh my god it was Doug all along we've won the Superbowl again') would be a 3-13 season where the roster weakness is clear and obvious and the solution is sitting in a top 5 draft spot. I could live with that.

As it stands, I think Hurts is a question, I think the defense is a question, and I think Sanders has to get better as a pure runner if he's going to catch the ball like he did last year, because as it stands he isn't worth extending as a runner who can't catch out of the backfield.

There are a lot of big holes coming for the roster (Cox, Kelce and Graham may be gone end of this year) I would hate us to end up middle of round one and trading 3 first round picks to draft a QB.

I like the conversation, even this early, but I can't see any part of the scenario presented. 

Sure, I'm a huge fan but I just can't see them drafting in the bottom 10. I think they'll surprise conventional wisdom this year and end up with 3 picks in the 12 to 24 range.

Having said that - look at out free agents as well as our current needs. Unless they sign Steven Nelson to a long term deal this off-season their #1 priority will be corner. They probably won't get the #1 rated corner regardless, but it'll be a high priority.

Look at the age and free agent status of the rest of the roster. We'll have 4 safeties going to the free agent market and at DE there Barnett in his last year, Kerrigan on a 1 year deal, and BG at 35. Given those facts S and DE will be necessity picks.

So - round 1 = CB, DE, S in whatever order. 

What about TE  - even if we keep Ertz this year both he and Goedert will be free agents in 2022. Seems to me TE will be a day 2 priority. 

As things stand you'd have to be pretty happy with that haul... But of course it really is going to depend on Hurts. If Hurts shows he can be a good starting QB then that means the Eagles can go and be aggressive in the draft to build this roster. But if he isn't then they'll likely be acquiring a QB.

Don't think the Eagles will have the 4th pick in the draft. 

20 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Don't think the Eagles will have the 4th pick in the draft. 

You think it'll be top 3? 😉

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You think it'll be top 3? 😉

More like 12-15,😄

• Like 1