The Greatness of Ohtani

Captain F

He's having the single best all around season of any player in MLB history. How many years of this does he need to be considered the greatest of all time?  5? 10? 

For a normal positional player id say 10-20 years of dominate play.  But this guy is a pitcher.  What he's doing this year is crazy. 

• Like 1

Vlad Guerrero could still win the Triple Crown (if Ohtani slows down hitting so many dingers!). But it's crazy to think what Ohtani is doing while he's pitching every 5 games. 

I think Ohtani is the answer to the universal DH question. As a free agent, he chose to play in the AL instead of NL. If he played in the National League, he doesn't pitch. Or if he pitches, he's not in the lineup everyday. Either way, he isn't producing the same in the NL... So if Ohtani is the prototype all-around baseball talent, then universal DH is the way to go.

• Like 1

He is such a talented athlete that he could play right field like he did in his earlier days in the NL and dominate. 

Dude is that damn good. 

Ohtani is incredible. Probably the most impressive athlete in the world right now I'd say. You just don't see guys with the ability to even attempt to pitch and hit, let alone absolutely rake and lead the league in homeruns while being a good pitcher. 

Agree that it's nuts it isn't promoted. If you ask a non baseball fan about him they probably don't know anything.

• Like 1

It seems like ever since the McGwire/ Sosa homerun battle, MLB has been an abomination in the marketing department. It's awful. Manfred was doing an interview a couple of years ago when someone asked him why MLB doesn't do a better job of marketing its players and he basically said that it isn't their job, it's the job of the player/team. What an awful commissioner he has turned out to be. When he took over, I figured anyone could be better than Selig. Guess I was wrong. 

I think another problem in regards to players like Ohtani, Trout, Tatis Jr, and even Machado is that they play on the west coast. People here on the east coast and even the central time zone can't watch their games because they are on so late. I would love to watch them play more but can't for obvious reasons. All we can do is watch the highlights. I mean, I would rather watch them than the Phillies. -_-

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Ohtani is incredible. Probably the most impressive athlete in the world right now I'd say. You just don't see guys with the ability to even attempt to pitch and hit, let alone absolutely rake and lead the league in homeruns while being a good pitcher. 

Agree that it's nuts it isn't promoted. If you ask a non baseball fan about him they probably don't know anything.

If they can't promote this dude and his absolute greatness then I start to question baseball and does it start to fall in line with the NHL instead of NFL/NBA 

Slugged his 33rd HR of the season tonight.  A 463' HR. 

On 7/7/2021 at 4:18 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

I had to Google him so you're correct 

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:23 AM, What The F said:

He's having the single best all around season of any player in MLB history. How many years of this does he need to be considered the greatest of all time?  5? 10? 

For a normal positional player id say 10-20 years of dominate play.  But this guy is a pitcher.  What he's doing this year is crazy. 

You could start by spelling his name right 

MLB is Fing this up

Shohei Ohtani donates Home Run Derby earnings to Angels support staff. ANAHEIM — Shohei Ohtani didn’t win the Home Run Derby, but he still made a handful of Angels employees winners for his efforts.

Ohtani received $150,000 for participating in the Derby, but he distributed that to around 30 Angels support staffers to thank them for their work, sources said. Ohtani distributed checks on Friday to trainers, clubhouse workers and media relations staffer s.