4 Eagles players who could sign contract extensions in 2021

time2rock

4 Eagles players who could sign contract extensions in 2021

Posted Jul 09, 2021
Kaye1.JPG.e23d1faf5d0770e349de839a2637e84a.JPG

Philadelphia Eagles tight end Dallas Goedert is entering the final year of his rookie contract.John Kuntz, cleveland.com

As the Eagles look to establish a strong, young roster under new head coach Nick Sirianni, the front office could look to retain some notable incumbent talent before those players can test free agency next year.

With a handful of homegrown playmakers entering the final year of their respective contracts, GM Howie Roseman could try to lock up those players with extensions over the next few months.

Here are four Eagles players who could sign contract extensions in the coming months:

TE Dallas Goedert
Goedert is coming off a disappointing third season, mainly due to an ankle injury that cost him playing time in the middle of the campaign. However, he is primed for a bounce-back year, as he is positioned to be the top tight end in the Eagles’ offense this season. With Zach Ertz likely on his way out, the Eagles will focus more on 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs) as a base formation, taking advantage of Goedert’s versatility as a blocker and pass catcher. That outlook should give Goedert the leverage he needs at the negotiating table.

Goedert has already said that the team and his agents are discussing an extension. Still, such a negotiation won’t be easy for either side at this point. Goedert has never been the top tight end in Philly, and his numbers don’t scream "top of market money.” However, if Goedert is going to cash in, he probably doesn’t want to take a middling deal.

Signing an extension in the summer could be a tricky gamble for either side, especially with Goedert’s workload set to pick up. A deal isn’t likely to be reached until Ertz’s situation is sorted out, and even then, both sides might decide to table discussions until Goedert shows he can handle the TE1 role for a few months.

DE Derek Barnett
Barnett is in a somewhat similar situation to Goedert. While he’s a former first-round pick playing on a $10 million fifth-year option, Barnett doesn’t have the resume suitable for a top-of-market extension. Barnett has dealt with injuries, inconsistent play and low sack numbers since entering the league in 2017. He’s flashed impressive skill during his career, but his inconsistency is likely to give the Eagles some hesitation with a new deal.

Barnett’s upside in Philly comes with the arrival of a new coaching staff. While he was a favorite of former defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, his replacement, Jonathan Gannon, might position Barnett to break out in a new scheme. If Barnett can put together a strong training camp and a breakout first month (or two) of the season, the Eagles could look to lock him up long-term.

'Along with the longevity angle, Barnett’s potential extension could give the Eagles some short-term cap relief. According to Over The Cap, an extension could bring down Barnett’s cap number by $7.2 million this season. That extra space would allow the Eagles to push over funds into next season.

DE Josh Sweat
Sweat, 24, is a prime candidate for a contract extension. While he has a notable history of injuries, Sweat has grown significantly over the past three seasons. Following a forgettable rookie season, Sweat became a major part of the Eagles’ pass-rushing rotation, posting 10 sacks over the past two seasons.

Sweat is a rotational pass rusher who can make plays against the run due to his elite athleticism. While his injury history will probably keep him from being a full-time starter, he has the talent to be a long-term third defensive end in a rotation, which is a notable role, especially for the Eagles.

The front office could work out a short-term extension -- in the two-or-three-year range -- to benefit both sides. If Sweat breaks out during that second deal, he could hit free agency or reach another -- bigger contract extension -- in his mid-to-late 20s.

CB Avonte Maddox
Maddox is coming off a humbling third season, as he was exposed on the outside at cornerback last year. Now set to move back into the nickel position, Maddox should be comfortable enough to make big plays in the passing game.

A small, feisty cover man, Maddox has found success while matching up with slot receivers. The former fourth-round pick is also a strong blitzer, an attribute that could be used in Gannon’s new defense.

While Maddox has a lot to prove this season, if he can bounce back early on with strong play in the nickel spot, the Eagles should try to buy low on him with an extension.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/07/4-eagles-players-who-could-sign-contract-extensions-in-2021.html

I think Goedert is a lock and I think Sweat is very very likely to get an extension. Goedert is now TE #1 whether Ertz stays or not. Sweat is a really good DE #3 and so I don't think is going to get top $.

Barnett on the other hand may want too much and he definitely isn't worth a fairly hefty deal. 

And Maddox has a lot to prove this year. His rookie year he was brilliant at safety. But since then he's really struggled with the team moving him around. If they move him to the slot and keep him there he has a really good chance (though he'll have competition). If they play him on the outside due to lack of options then he's going to struggle again this year and likely won't be on the team.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Goedert is a lock and I think Sweat is very very likely to get an extension. Goedert is now TE #1 whether Ertz stays or not. Sweat is a really good DE #3 and so I don't think is going to get top $.

Barnett on the other hand may want too much and he definitely isn't worth a fairly hefty deal. 

And Maddox has a lot to prove this year. His rookie year he was brilliant at safety. But since then he's really struggled with the team moving him around. If they move him to the slot and keep him there he has a really good chance (though he'll have competition). If they play him on the outside due to lack of options then he's going to struggle again this year and likely won't be on the team.

I am very curious to see how Gannon plans to use Maddox this year.  I'll be paying particular attention to the overall scheme in play, but as it comes to Maddox he was being played out of position the past couple of years by Schwartz (albeit partly out of necessity).  Wonder where Gannon feels he fits best?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

I am very curious to see how Gannon plans to use Maddox this year.  I'll be paying particular attention to the overall scheme in play, but as it comes to Maddox he was being played out of position the past couple of years by Schwartz (albeit partly out of necessity).  Wonder where Gannon feels he fits best?  

They need to play him either in the slot or at safety. He can't be used on the outside that's absolutely for sure. 

On 7/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sweat outperformed Barnett last year in a 100 fewer snaps and has 10 sacks over the last two seasons as a rotational guy, as it stands the Eagles are holding him back, he will get paid by someone next off season if the Eagles try and low ball him.

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sweat outperformed Barnett last year in a 100 fewer snaps and has 10 sacks over the last two seasons as a rotational guy, as it stands the Eagles are holding him back, he will get paid by someone next off season if the Eagles try and low ball him.

But his snaps have to be limited and managed due to his knee injury bud. So that'll hold him back anyway. 

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But his snaps have to be limited and managed due to his knee injury bud. So that'll hold him back anyway. 

He was drafted 3 years ago.  That knee injury was during his senior year in high school (2014).  How long do you have to manage his play time from an injury that occurred 7 years ago?

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/josh-sweat-is-a-reason-to-be-excited-about-2021-eagles

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He was drafted 3 years ago.  That knee injury was during his senior year in high school (2014).  How long do you have to manage his play time from an injury that occurred 7 years ago?

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/josh-sweat-is-a-reason-to-be-excited-about-2021-eagles

Depends on the kind of injury and the long term impact I guess. 

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Depends on the kind of injury and the long term impact I guess. 

If there was that much doubt over his knee he wouldn't have passed a physical for his rookie deal.

As that SI article says, it's time to find out if he can carry a starters workload. If he can keep the production up for a bigger snap count, he'd be a double digit sack DE and that would remove the need to replace Graham from the first round of the draft next year, they could take a day 2 guy for the rotation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If there was that much doubt over his knee he wouldn't have passed a physical for his rookie deal.

As that SI article says, it's time to find out if he can carry a starters workload. If he can keep the production up for a bigger snap count, he'd be a double digit sack DE and that would remove the need to replace Graham from the first round of the draft next year, they could take a day 2 guy for the rotation.

Without looking at the official numbers to confirm, it does seem that his play time has gradually increased each year.  I also think it is time to ramp that up again this year and give him a bigger workload.  Have to know whether or not to commit to him longer term.  If they do and he plays well I don't think that necessarily takes them out of the running of using one of their 3 (expected) 1st rd picks on a DE.  Graham only has a couple of seasons left in him and the jury is still out on whether or not Barnett will be a part of the future - 2021 could be his last season here (heck, they may decide to deal him before the season starts).  

21 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I like the theory I just think they've limited his snap count for a reason. He was our second best DE last year and they still limited him. 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 3:24 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like the theory I just think they've limited his snap count for a reason. He was our second best DE last year and they still limited him. 

Well Schwartz also continued to play Gerry even though he stunk ... even though the cupboard at LB is pretty bare, I'm sure there were better options but Jim just seemed to have some strange affection for Gerry.  Will be interesting to see if Sweat outplays others if Gannon doesn't give him the lion's share of snaps this year.  

• Like 1