Adding Joe Flacco to the roster named the Eagles worst offseason move by The Athletic

time2rock

Adding Joe Flacco to the roster named the Eagles worst offseason move by The Athletic

Joe-Flacco-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

July 14, 2021 2:23 am ET

The Eagles quietly went about adding value to the roster this spring but one free agent signing continues to entice a negative reaction.

Philadelphia signed Joe Flacco with the understanding that he’d provide competition and a mentor to second-year quarterback Jalen Hurts. Flacco joined the Eagles after a lackluster season with the Jets.

The Athletic recently looked at the worst offseason move for all 32 NFL teams, and the Super Bowl champion quarterback made the list for Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles signed three players during the opening week of free agency. Andrew Adams is a depth safety/special teamer who joined on the cheap. OK. Anthony Harris is a starting-caliber player at a major position of need who also has familiarity with the new defensive staff. Great. But Joe Flacco? Why? Sure, the Eagles need a backup for Jalen Hurts, but based on Flacco’s level of play since Lamar Jackson took his job, there’s little difference between him and the other veteran backups who were still on the market weeks later. Heck, even Nick Mullens, whom the Eagles signed in late June, would have been a fine No. 2 for a team that should only be concerned with the long term. Flacco’s skill set is so contrary to Hurts’, which makes the eagerness to sign him all the more confusing. — Bo Wulf

The addition of Flacco was necessary because the Eagles needed another quarterback, but head-scratching when Howie Roseman could have landed Mullens for $2 million less.

• Like 1

Flacco was signed to a 1 year $3.5M contract ... I'd hardly call that a bad move.  I highly doubt he was signed to play ... he has a boatload of experience in both regular season games and the postseason.  To be able to impart some wisdom from his experience with the young, inexperienced Hurts could be extremely beneficial.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Flacco was signed to a 1 year $3.5M contract ... I'd hardly call that a bad move.  I highly doubt he was signed to play ... he has a boatload of experience in both regular season games and the postseason.  To be able to impart some wisdom from his experience with the young, inexperienced Hurts could be extremely beneficial.  

It was a terrible move. I actually agree with the article. It was a terrible acquisition. A complete waste of $3.5M. I said it at the time of the signing and then when they picked up Mullens it just reinforced it. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It was a terrible move. I actually agree with the article. It was a terrible acquisition. A complete waste of $3.5M. I said it at the time of the signing and then when they picked up Mullens it just reinforced it. 

Joe Flacco:

36 years old

175 career regular season starts (98-77)

15 postseason starts (10-5)

84.1 QB rating (career regular season) / 88.6 (postseason)

Contract (1 year, $3.5M)

Ryan Fitzpatrick:

38 years old

146 career regular season starts (59-86-1)

0 postseason games (didn't even get to watch from the sideline)

82.3 QB rating (career)

Contract (1 year, $10M)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Joe Flacco:

36 years old

175 career regular season starts (98-77)

15 postseason starts (10-5)

84.1 QB rating (career regular season) / 88.6 (postseason)

Contract (1 year, $3.5M)

Ryan Fitzpatrick:

38 years old

146 career regular season starts (59-86-1)

0 postseason games (didn't even get to watch from the sideline)

82.3 QB rating (career)

Contract (1 year, $10M)

Ok? You're comparing a back up with a starter going in to this year... You're comparing a team with the potential to compete due to other areas of their team with a team who's in a rebuild. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok? You're comparing a back up with a starter going in to this year... You're comparing a team with the potential to compete due to other areas of their team with a team who's in a rebuild. 

We're talking about 2 teams with a losing record last year that are looking to compete this year and each have a question that needs answering at QB. 

It's comical that you still see this as a rebuild. We are heading into 2021 with every intention of competing for the division, getting better each week, and making the playoffs. 

What's even funnier is that you're higher on the idea of Fitzpatrick (career losing record and no postseason experience) competing for a starting spot for $10M on a team with no obvious young QB to groom for the future, than the Eagles spending 3.5M for a backup that is a couple years younger, has more experience, a winning record and 15 postseason starts. 

Please stop with the "washington is so much better" crap. 7 wins --- their last win being oh, so impressive!

16 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

What's even funnier is that you're higher on the idea of Fitzpatrick (career losing record and no postseason experience) competing for a starting spot for $10M on a team with no obvious young QB to groom for the future, than the Eagles spending 3.5M for a backup that is a couple years younger, has more experience, a winning record and 15 postseason starts. 

I'm actually not high on Fitzpatrick at all. We all know what he is at this point. They have overpaid for him too.

Eagles paying 3.5m for the experience he has. Someone needs to groom Hurts. Players vs Coaches are 2 different animals. I know when I watch my son play sports he learns and values more from the older players than the coaches. This was a great move for a very inexpensive vet with loads of important experience. Mullins will benefit from Flacco as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm actually not high on Fitzpatrick at all. We all know what he is at this point. They have overpaid for him too.

Just a few years ago, we had Chase Daniel signed to a 3-year 21M contract to "compete" with Bradford. Then we drafted Wentz, traded Bradford and made Wentz the instant starter despite missing some preseason with an injury as a rookie. The Flacco deal is a bargain in comparison. Too many people are dwelling on what the Jets paid Flacco last year. He was returning from being on IR with a Cervical Spine Disc Hernia in 2019. He made less last year because of that injury. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Just a few years ago, we had Chase Daniel signed to a 3-year 21M contract to "compete" with Bradford. Then we drafted Wentz, traded Bradford and made Wentz the instant starter despite missing some preseason with an injury as a rookie. The Flacco deal is a bargain in comparison. Too many people are dwelling on what the Jets paid Flacco last year. He was returning from being on IR with a Cervical Spine Disc Hernia in 2019. He made less last year because of that injury. 

Exactly. And last year he showed he still has the arm strength, which was the big question mark. 

It's a super bowl winning QB to play back up when you have essentially a rookie year for Jalen Hurts.

If that's the worst signing then fine... not doing to bad. 

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

But there's no point comparing the Flacco deal with the Chase deal. This is a different team at a different stage. And everyone knew that they overpaid for Chase. Doesn't make the Flacco signing a good one though. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But there's no point comparing the Flacco deal with the Chase deal. This is a different team at a different stage. And everyone knew that they overpaid for Chase. Doesn't make the Flacco signing a good one though. 

So you're content to just let Nick Mullens be the veteran presence and rely on his vast experience to help teammates?

Just in....The Athletic named worst sports rag on the planet...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

So you're content to just let Nick Mullens be the veteran presence and rely on his vast experience to help teammates?

I'm content for Mullens to be the back up on a team that isn't going to compete if Hurts is bad or gets injured yes. And by compete I don't mean for a SB, just compete in each game and potentially to win the division. 

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm content for Mullens to be the back up on a team that isn't going to compete if Hurts is bad or gets injured yes. And by compete I don't mean for a SB, just compete in each game and potentially to win the division. 

I have no problem with Mullens winning the #2 job, if he does. However, we have a lot of young QBs, WRs and RBs on this team that can learn important things from an experienced veteran QB in practice. We could always try to pry Clayton Thorson away from the giants and get a guy running the 2nd or 3rd string that can't complete a pass in practice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I have no problem with Mullens winning the #2 job, if he does. However, we have a lot of young QBs, WRs and RBs on this team that can learn important things from an experienced veteran QB in practice. We could always try to pry Clayton Thorson away from the giants and get a guy running the 2nd or 3rd string that can't complete a pass in practice. 

Look I get your point I really do. I just don't think Flacco is really going to help the young WRs that much because quite simply he's just not very good.

That's ridiculous.  Backup QB.

Now if the Athletic said moving Wentz was the worst move, I could buy that.

The Flacco signing makes more sense than Mullens, signing Flacco is saying we don't expect the back up to play barring injury, but we want somebody who can help the new guy with game prep and the wisdom of experience and is serviceable if called on in a pinch, it shows Hurts he isn't going to get yanked at the first sign of trouble, the Mullens deal muddys that up a lot.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The Flacco signing makes more sense than Mullens, signing Flacco is saying we don't expect the back up to play barring injury, but we want somebody who can help the new guy with game prep and the wisdom of experience and is serviceable if called on in a pinch, it shows Hurts he isn't going to get yanked at the first sign of trouble, the Mullens deal muddys that up a lot.

The Mullens deal being  1-year near the minimum hardly screams "threat" to Hurts. I see it as a job tryout for the #2 spot in 2022 and beyond. Flacco's contract has guarantees for this year. But nobody besides Hurts is signed for 2022.

34 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The Mullens deal being  1-year near the minimum hardly screams "threat" to Hurts. I see it as a job tryout for the #2 spot in 2022 and beyond. Flacco's contract has guarantees for this year. But nobody besides Hurts is signed for 2022.

My thinking as well.  

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

My view is even Nate Sudfeld has higher ambitions than Jalen Hurt's back ups back up and he's done nowhere near what Mullens has in the league.

Yeah, there's really no way you should have a problem with a one-year 3.5 million dollar contract for a backup QB who actually has a good resume. It's not like we're locked in for multiple years. It's a one-year rental for a guy who has a ton of experience and is perfectly content with holding the clipboard. There's absolutely no downside. 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:02 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look I get your point I really do. I just don't think Flacco is really going to help the young WRs that much because quite simply he's just not very good.

Whether or not he's good or bad, the simple fact is, he's been there, he's a veteran and knows how to act in the film room, practice field, how to talk to WRs etc. All this stuff Hurts can learn from. Put it this way, he is another coach for Hurts. If Hurts goes down (hopefully not) Flacco will most likely take over the remaining of the game, but I think Mullins would cover anything else beyond that. Unless Flacco becomes our Cinderella. 

• 4 weeks later...

This signing has got to be looking better to the unbelievers than it did initially. Flacco came into the game and gave his offensive teammates a legitimate chance to get real (preseason) game work in. Mullins,  unsurprisingly, struggled as he continues to adjust to a new NFL offense for the first time in his short pro career. He sure  helped his defensive teammates get a lot of work yesterday, though. 

For the record, I expect Mullins to perform better each preseason game. If he doesn't, we'll only be carrying 2 QBs for sure.