One week until training camp

Hawkeye

Players report a week from tomorrow with their first practice the next day.  I, for one, cannot wait regardless of the prospects this season.  Top 5  offensive storylines:

1. Jalen Hurts.  Nothing else matters if he can't rise to the occasion.
  2. DeVonta Smith:  When was the last time a rookie came into his first Eagles camp with expectations like this?
  3. Offensive line:  stories from left to right, starting with who's starting at LT?  On the other side, will Brooks and Johnson return to form?
  4. Coaching:  there's some natural skepticism inside and outside the facility about the new coaching team.  Should be fascinating to watch.
  5. (tie) RB and TE:  The RB room is pretty full - I think there are 8 RBs on the current roster -and Ertz is still an Eagle.  Something has to give.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Maybe some of the old timers can help us out, but I don’t remember any Eagles rookie with as much hype or expectations as DeVonta, ever.

And thing is, he is the one Eagles rookie who can legitimately live up to them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Maybe some of the old timers can help us out, but I don’t remember any Eagles rookie with as much hype or expectations as DeVonta, ever.

There was a lot of hype for Maclin. With that said I have no hype for him at all  Eagles haven't really shown any reason for us to think they get it right for once. 

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

A lot of hype for McNabb and Wentz.  But for a non-QB player yeah this is probably it.  

• Like 1

Not much going on the defensive side of ball other than Gannon’s ability to coach the DB. 

Offensively this has to be one of the most pivotal off seasons for the Eagles in many years. I think Goedert is one storywho’s been overlooked. Assuming Ertz is gone by week 1, we’ll get to see how good Goedert can really be with handling most of workload in passing game. We’ll see how DeVonta starts off the year but it’s most likely Goedert is the primary receiving option to start the year. I’m also really intrigued to see if Reagor can take a step forward this year. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Mike Mamula the work out wonder.  Never lived up to the hype around his combine stats.

Ya'll must have forgotten the hype when the Eagles drafted the 30 year old Firefighter.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can't wait!  Finally some real football activity to discuss.  

I am looking more forward to this season than I was 2020 ... a lot more.  I knew 2020 was going to be a joke of a season.  Having hit the reset button (new coaching staff, new QB) has me excited again.  The unknown is better than the known when the known is the suck.  

• Like 2

With any first round rookie there is a certain Amount of hype, most often more hype when a QB is drafted in the top half of the first.

I can't remember too many non qb first round picks getting an abnormal amount of hype, sometimes a guy may get a little more hype than normal but the amount of hype and expectations and praise Devonta Smith has receivers seems uncommon.

I think the eagles fan base are starved for a WR, they've been obsessed with WR since as long as I can remember.

The only non QB that I can remember generating as much hype was T.O. and he was an established all pro.

Devonta hasn't done anything yet except run around in some shorts, and look " Smoothe" doing it 

I'm excited to see when the live hits come, I'm not sure he can meet the lofty unrealistic expectations of some fans and media which is why I'm keeping my expectations even.

As for the rest I think Howie screwed the pooch with Ertz and every day he's here is another day that pooch needs lube.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I can't wait?  Finally some real football activity to discuss.

Watch out for the Delta Variant, if the Olympics are cancelled the NFL season won't be out of the question.

17 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The irony in this post is ironic.  You acknowledge that's he's overhyped.  And then overhype in the very next sentence.  

Negative. Overhype refers to unwarranted hype, or hype that is not befitting.

I merely commented that the hype he is coming in with is unmatched, and then clarified that he is capable of living up to said hype.

Hence not overhyped, merely highly hyped.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Perforator said:

Ya'll must have forgotten the hype when the Eagles drafted the 30 year old Firefighter.

I think that was only Howie Roseman.

9 hours ago, Talkingbirds said:

Mike Mamula the work out wonder.  Never lived up to the hype around his combine stats.

Is this a bad time to mention if you average out Mamula’s numbers they are almost identical to Brandon Graham's same averages? Only difference is Mamula got an injury that ended his career. 

I’m curious to know why people think the Eagles will run the ball more this year. Their backfield consists of Sanders who still hasn’t lived up to his potential, and has fumble problems, Scott who isn’t a guy you can give the ball 20-30 times to, a guy who failed in Detroit, a guy who failed here after he got a stinger and failed in Miami, and a rookie to go with a bunch of other guys who are basically just fodder. Not to mention the stories about tho owner obsessed with the pass. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m curious to know why people think the Eagles will run the ball more this year. Their backfield consists of Sanders who still hasn’t lived up to his potential, and has fumble problems, Scott who isn’t a guy you can give the ball 20-30 times to, a guy who failed in Detroit, a guy who failed here after he got a stinger and failed in Miami, and a rookie to go with a bunch of other guys who are basically just fodder. Not to mention the stories about tho owner obsessed with the pass. 

I really have no idea what to expect offensively - partly because of personnel and partly because of scheme.  Nick supposedly loves two tight end sets yet the Eagles have been poised to dump their best tight end for months.  He likes to create mismatches near the line of scrimmage by getting the running backs involved in passing game but the Eagles RB room doesn't seem stocked with guys like Sproles who do just that.  He emphasizes Yards After Catch which could actually be a plus for guys like Sanders, Smith and maybe even Reagor. 

And, of course, the whole thing needs Hurts to play reasonably well, make smart decisions and be accurate.  

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I feel as though they will. Not drastically, but I think there will be some semblance of balance. Makes the offense as a whole more efficient and helps Hurts out. Let's be honest, he needs it.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, D-Shiznit said:

I just went through the list of first round picks over the years. Outside of Maclin, I’d say Mamula entered with the most hype/intrigue (FYI: Pretty much everyone wanted Warren Sapp).

On 7/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Wentz. You don't jump to the 2nd pick in the draft from being virtually unheard of without hype and expectations to go along with it.

I don't see the hype and expectations with Smith on the level of some of you either. I think a lot of people are wondering about his size, how he will do with a 2nd year QB,  and in a new system with a rookie coach. Throw in the fact Howie hasn't drafted WR well in the last few years and I think you'll find many of us are hopeful, but waiting to see. People in TATE will go off the rails, but that is standard practice.

11 hours ago, Swoop said:

I feel as though they will. Not drastically, but I think there will be some semblance of balance. Makes the offense as a whole more efficient and helps Hurts out. Let's be honest, he needs it.

Yeah I feel like they need to run more, but they clearly haven't invested in running the ball more. In fact the only thing that shows they might run the ball more is Hurts running himself, but I’m not too confident in that considering his fumble issues too. On top of that over the past three seasons the Eagles have invested heavily on drafting wide receivers. They seem to want to throw the ball. You don’t draft a 170 pound receiver for his blocking skills. 

13 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I really have no idea what to expect offensively - partly because of personnel and partly because of scheme.  Nick supposedly loves two tight end sets yet the Eagles have been poised to dump their best tight end for months.  He likes to create mismatches near the line of scrimmage by getting the running backs involved in passing game but the Eagles RB room doesn't seem stocked with guys like Sproles who do just that.  He emphasizes Yards After Catch which could actually be a plus for guys like Sanders, Smith and maybe even Reagor. 

And, of course, the whole thing needs Hurts to play reasonably well, make smart decisions and be accurate.  

I doubt if Sirianni knows who even will be his guys in training camp. The 53 basically comes down to who Howie wants anyway so Sirianni has to coach whoever he’s given. According to rumors he could be building an offense around the strengths of Hurts and then his quarterback is Watson. Sure Watson is a better player no doubt, but my point is you can’t be certain of what this team will do right now. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I doubt if Sirianni knows who even will be his guys in training camp. The 53 basically comes down to who Howie wants anyway so Sirianni has to coach whoever he’s given. According to rumors he could be building an offense around the strengths of Hurts and then his quarterback is Watson. Sure Watson is a better player no doubt, but my point is you can’t be certain of what this team will do right now. 

Trading for Watson would be a seismic event in the history of the franchise.  That changes everything.  

• Like 1

5 days until players report.  :flex:

And no, not posting a pic of McNabb.  Now if I could only find a photo of Kate Beckinsale wearing a #5 jersey.  :-)

Just now, time2rock said:

And no, not posting a pic of McNabb.  Now if I could only find a photo of Kate Beckinsale wearing a #5 jersey.  :-)

Hurts put on 400lbs of muscle!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Kate Beckinsale looks impeccably put together in skinny jeans and sweater  for Super Bowl party | Daily Mail Online

Best I can do. What a shame

This is much better

Kate Beckinsale blasts Football's Coming Home and screams the lyrics as she  sweeps her dining room | Daily Mail Online

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Trading for Watson would be a seismic event in the history of the franchise.  That changes everything.  

Yeah I’m not as convinced. The Eagles as a franchise is better than the God awful Texans, but there is still a lot of issues with talent on the Eagles.