Breaking down Eagles’ scary competition at cornerback

time2rock

Breaking down Eagles’ scary competition at cornerback

It’s the final full week before Eagles training camp begins so we’re taking a look at five notable camp competitions.

We kicked it off with Andre Dillard vs. Jordan Mailata.

Today: The battle at cornerback.

The one thing we know about the Eagles’ cornerback position is that Darius Slay is their CB1. Even if you think he didn’t quite play to his standard in 2020, he’s still a very good corner and clearly the best the Eagles have.

OK, so go ahead and write Slay’s name in pen on the depth chart and then grab a pencil. Heck, just go ahead and grab a dry erase board. Because there’s not really much known after that.

Who will be the Eagles’ CB2 opposite Slay? Who will be their nickel corner?

The Eagles actually bring back their other starting outside cornerback from the 2020 season in Avonte Maddox, but he clearly didn’t play well enough to simply keep him there again without more thought.

So not only do the Eagles need to figure out during training camp who their CB2 is, but they also need to figure out who their starting nickel is going to be and then they need to figure out the depth chart after that. And to be honest, it’s all a little scary.

Let’s look at the players:

Avonte Maddox

Experience: Year 4 (35 games, 23 starts)

Size: 5-9, 184

Last season, Maddox was ranked dead last among cornerbacks in ProFootballFocus’s rankings. No. 121 out of 121. Of course, that all wasn’t his fault. You can certainly argue that the Eagles played him out of position last season.

During his first three years in the NFL, Maddox has played outside corner, nickel corner and free safety and it seems pretty obvious that outside corner has been his weakest of the three. So maybe it’s just the Eagles’ fault for giving him that role in 2020. Sure, the defense will be different under Jonathan Gannon — it might be easier on the corners — but it might be a mistake to put him outside again.

Ideally, the Eagles would find another outside cornerback, which would allow Maddox to move inside to a spot where he would likely be more comfortable.

Zech McPhearson

Experience: Rookie

Size: 5-11, 191

The Eagles didn’t sign any big free-agent corners and then they waited until the fourth round to draft one, taking McPhearson out of Texas Tech. Pre-draft opinions were really split on McPhearson but the folks who liked him really seemed to like him. For instance, NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah ranked McPhearson as his No. 85 prospect, which would make him quite a steal at pick 123.

The Eagles really liked what they saw from McPhearson at the Hula Bowl, where he was coached by former NFL head coach Rex Ryan. Ryan came away from the event very impressed with McPhearson, whom he said stood out all week.

The only knock — if you want to call it that — that Ryan had on McPhearson was his lack of height. He’s just under 6 feet. But he at least has better height than Maddox. And if the learning curve isn’t too great for him, it’s not crazy to think about McPhearson earning a signifiant role in 2021.

Craig James

Experience: Year 4 (21 games, 1 start)

Size: 5-10, 195

We mostly think about James as a special teams player but last training camp before an injury, he was actually getting reps ahead of players like Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas. Of course, he hasn’t played much on defense during his three-year NFL career; just a total of 83. While James never played under Gannon, he was in Minnesota and played for Mike Zimmer in 2018, so James might have a slight advantage learning the Eagles’ new defense.

And even if James doesn’t figure into the Eagles’ plans at the cornerback spot, he has proven to be a pretty good special teams player. If he makes the roster in 2021, it’ll likely be as a gunner on the punt team.

Michael Jacquet

Experience: Year 2 (7 games, 2 starts)

Size: 6-1, 203

The Eagles signed Jacquet out of Louisiana as an undrafted free agent last year and paid him a nice chunk of guaranteed money. He was clearly one of their favorite UDFAs in 2020. He initially signed to the practice squad but saw significant time with the Eagles as a rookie.

It didn’t go all that well. Jacquet played in seven games with two starts and had his ups and downs. While he battled in a tough situation, he seemed overmatched. In a late-season game against the Cowboys, the Eagles finally had to bench Jacquet and move Jalen Mills to corner from safety to try and stop the bleeding.

The one thing Jacquet has going for him is length, but that might not be enough.

Kevon Seymour

Experience: Year 4 (33 games, 5 starts)

Size: 6-0, 185

The Eagles didn’t add Seymour to their practice squad until December, but because of other injuries, he was needed to play almost immediately. Seymour saw action in two games before landing on IR with an injury of his own. Seymour signed a futures deal after the season to return to Philly.

While it’s been a long road for Seymour, he does have some playing experience. With the Bills in 2016 and the Panthers in 2017, he played in 31 games with 5 starts. But he has struggled to stay in the NFL since then.

Josiah Scott

Experience: Year 2 (6 games)

Size: 5-9, 185

The Eagles picked up Scott in a trade back in May that sent Jameson Houston and a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Jaguars. While giving up a sixth-round pick doesn’t show that the Eagles are in love with him, it at least shows they were willing to give up an asset to get a better look at him.

And Scott is just one year removed from being a fourth-round pick out of Michigan State. As a rookie in Jacksonville, Scott played in six games but saw just a total of 80 defensive snaps. Scott’s nickname is "the Gnat” and he’s known for being an irritating nickel corner who pesters opposing slot receivers. Because of his size, he’s a much better fit inside.

Shakial Taylor

Experience: Year 3 (5 games)

Size: 6-0, 181

Believe it or not, the first transaction of the Nick Sirianni Era came back on Feb. 16, when the Eagles claimed Taylor off waivers from the Giants. Since entering the NFL as an undrafted player out of Kansas in 2019, Taylor has spent time with the Colts, Broncos and Giants. In Indianapolis in 2019, he played under Gannon.

But it’s hard to imagine Taylor is the answer. After all, he’s played in just five NFL games (all in 2019) and saw just 60 defensive snaps.

Lavert Hill

Experience: Year 1

Size: 5-10, 190

The former Michigan corner joined the Eagles’ practice squad in December after spending several months with the Chiefs as a UDFA and then as a practice squad member. He has an uphill climb.

So what’s going to happen?

Good question. And there’s no easy answer. Perhaps the Eagles will see how McPhearson looks early in training camp before making a move. If he gets off to a good start, perhaps they’ll feel confident enough to either start him or make him a big part of the defense early. The problem there, of course, is that he’s a fourth-round rookie, so expectations must be tempered.

On my list of the top 20 most important Eagles for the 2021 season, I put Maddox at No. 16 and I think that holds even if there’s a different CB2. Because Maddox is still an important veteran and he’s going to either be the starting outside corner or he’ll be the top nickel. Maybe he’ll even have a role that combines both responsibilities.

But without another addition, this is a very thin group. It seems pretty clear that cornerback, especially after Slay, is the weakest position on the roster. So the Eagles better hope competition brings out the most in these guys.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-training-camp-2021-eagles-competition-cornerback?fbclid=IwAR0_k21E1xrSIsjZ54YCCIOOsaBNT79U9umEEo8c3skBkXf_GZGmDGqwdzo

We all know it... The Eagles have a major issue at CB #2. Maddox can't play there, he's useless. McPhearson is a fourth round rookie and everyone else is pretty much JAG. Look not all holes can be fixed in one off season but the fact this team hasn't done a thing? That's criminal.

22 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We all know it... The Eagles have a major issue at CB #2. Maddox can't play there, he's useless. McPhearson is a fourth round rookie and everyone else is pretty much JAG. Look not all holes can be fixed in one off season but the fact this team hasn't done a thing? That's criminal.

"Hasn't done a thing" ... yet.  There's still time ... 7 weeks until the season starts.  Hard to say if they'll plan to add anyone (considering their cap situation ... they only have $3.2M in cap space currently), but the possibility exists.  They'd have to either bite the bullet on Ertz and release him, extend Barnett, or restructure the contract of another aging vet to get some additional cap (hopefully it wouldn't be the last option).  

• Like 1

In terms of defense last year, our big problem was generating turnovers, in terms of passing defense we were pretty much bang on average for yards and TD's allowed and that was trotting out UDFA's and walk on's at #2 corner.

I think they'll see what they have at corner in what is very much a 'if we can compete great, but if we suck it's a process' year.

It's either that or they're rolling the dice on a Vet they like falling out in final cuts.

I just don't see Nelson, I think that would've happened by now if it was going to.

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

they only have $3.2M in cap space currently

Technically they don't.  Once Dickerson signs, and player 52 and 53 count against the cap week 1, the Eagles will be over the cap.

15 hours ago, downundermike said:

Technically they don't.  Once Dickerson signs, and player 52 and 53 count against the cap week 1, the Eagles will be over the cap.

I realize that … it’s why I qualified the statement with "currently”. ;)

Just amazing we didn't draft a CB in the 2nd round and/or sign a vet by now.  In a passing league the D won't be able to get off the field.  Imagine what it looks like if Slay gets hurt.  

I didn’t have much doubt they’d make a move.  The signing won’t negatively impact the comp pick formula (i.e. we won’t lose a pick because he was signed after June 1st).  We can only potentially gain one (in 2023) if he has a strong year and signs elsewhere after the season.  

Or maybe he has a strong year, gets signed to an extension, and we move Slay.  The possibilities are endless.  

05110499-EA51-4D89-955D-83F2F9FF9ED1.jpeg

Nelson is 100% in prove it territory.

The Steelers are rarely wrong when they let a guy go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Nelson is 100% in prove it territory.

The Steelers are rarely wrong when they let a guy go.

Even if he proves to be just average, it is better than what we trotted out there last year (although completely different coaching staff and scheme now, so who knows what those same guys might look like).  Could be they felt he was good but not $8.25M good (I believe that is what he was slated to make in 2021).  

Anyway, still a good signing IMO ... he and Slay should at least form a competent tandem allowing McPhearson some time to get his NFL legs and then hopefully next year when we should have 3 x 1st rd picks we grab an elite prospect.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

Even if he proves to be just average, it is better than what we trotted out there last year (although completely different coaching staff and scheme now, so who knows what those same guys might look like).  Could be they felt he was good but not $8.25M good (I believe that is what he was slated to make in 2021).  

Anyway, still a good signing IMO ... he and Slay should at least form a competent tandem allowing McPhearson some time to get his NFL legs and then hopefully next year when we should have 3 x 1st rd picks we grab an elite prospect.  

Given all the circumstances and limited options, I agree it was as good a signing as we might expect. For a longer term solution to the CB vacancy problem, he has to prove he's that guy. I'm just a little reluctant to say he solves it out of hand. As for next year, yeah, it's no secret that I've wanted Stingley JR. on the Eagles for 2 years now, so naturally, I agree with drafting one early...assuming the QB works out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Given all the circumstances and limited options, I agree it was as good a signing as we might expect. For a longer term solution to the CB vacancy problem, he has to prove he's that guy. I'm just a little reluctant to say he solves it out of hand. As for next year, yeah, it's no secret that I've wanted Stingley JR. on the Eagles for 2 years now, so naturally, I agree with drafting one early...assuming the QB works out.

I don’t view Nelson as anything more than a 1 year band aid.  Of course a strong season may change that POV.  

Would love Stingley.  Fortunately the CB class of 2022 looks pretty strong should we fail to land him … there should be some attractive alternates.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

20 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don’t view Nelson as anything more than a 1 year band aid.  Of course a strong season may change that POV.  

Would love Stingley.  Fortunately the CB class of 2022 looks pretty strong should we fail to land him … there should be some attractive alternates.  

Regardless of how good he actually is, Nelson has 5 years of NFL experience as a CB starter and hasn't sucked. That in itself is a huge upgrade on what we had at CB2.

Whether he's a long term option, I agree jury is still out. Would love for Hurts to work out so we can focus on upgrading the D and especially CBs in the first next year.

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Regardless of how good he actually is, Nelson has 5 years of NFL experience as a CB starter and hasn't sucked. That in itself is a huge upgrade on what we had at CB2.

Whether he's a long term option, I agree jury is still out. Would love for Hurts to work out so we can focus on upgrading the D and especially CBs in the first next year.

I said the exact same (that he is better than anyone that played opposite Slay last year) 2 posts above the one to which you responded.  That latter post was solely about his role here now … potentially a band aid for 2021 with the ability to play his way into being a longer term fixture.  

On 7/25/2021 at 3:05 PM, time2rock said:

I didn’t have much doubt they’d make a move.  The signing won’t negatively impact the comp pick formula (i.e. we won’t lose a pick because he was signed after June 1st).  We can only potentially gain one (in 2023) if he has a strong year and signs elsewhere after the season.  

Or maybe he has a strong year, gets signed to an extension, and we move Slay.  The possibilities are endless.  

05110499-EA51-4D89-955D-83F2F9FF9ED1.jpeg

Yes. Love the optionality this move brings.