‘Football Argument’ Ends in Killing at Iconic Philly Cheesesteak Spot Pat’s King of Steaks

EaglesAddict

Lawrence Ukenye
Thu, July 22, 2021, 12:10 PM

Wikimedia Commons/Jason Knauer/Steve Keeley/FOX 29

Wikimedia Commons/Jason Knauer/Steve Keeley/FOX 29

A Philadelphia Eagles fan allegedly shot and killed a New York Giants supporter as they were waiting in line at iconic Philadelphia cheesesteak joint Pat’s King of Steaks early Thursday morning.

The two men got into a heated argument about football around 1 a.m., according to the store’s manager. As the quarrel intensified, it got physical and one man, wearing an Eagles jersey, pulled out a gun and shot the other before fleeing in a van, The Philadelphia Inquirer reports. The Eagles fan ultimately surrendered to police near another City of Brotherly Love landmark: the Liberty Bell.

The Giants supporter, who suffered a bullet wound to the torso, was rushed to Jefferson Hospital but ultimately succumbed to his injuries.

Freaked-out witnesses at the cheesesteak spot gave police the shooter’s license-plate number.

"We came here just enjoying a typical night,” said Zach Lomas, a New Jersey resident, in an interview with FOX 29. "We were out at the bar. Why are we going to come here and have our lives at risk?”

The restaurant—a favorite of tourists located directly across the street from beef-and-Cheesewhiz archrival Geno’s Steaks—reopened hours after the shooting. The suspect’s girlfriend, who drove the van used to escape the scene, has not been found, according to police.

The bloodshed is emblematic of a continued crime and gun violence spike in Philadelphia, a trend that’s become evident in many large cities across the U.S.

Earlier this month, the city passed a horrific milestone, with more than 10,000 people dead or wounded from gun violence since 2015, according to the Philadelphia Center for Gun Violence reporting.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney announced Monday he had no plans to declare a citywide gun violence emergency, a move made recently on the state level by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

At least 300 Philadelphians have been killed due to gun violence alone in 2021, WHYY reports.

Obviously, this is serious....nobody should ever be shot and killed over a football argument.  Just posting in here for general conversation.  

Have you ever had a heated argument about football and/or the Eagles?  In the past, I've almost come to blows with a few people over a heated debate...one of them actually ended a friendship.  

How far has any of your arguments gone?  Screaming/yelling? Fighting?

Not about football, it was over a parking spot... either way it's f###ed up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Not about football, it was over a parking spot... either way it's f###ed up

Too many people these days unable to handle conflict and adversity in a rational manner.  I call it the "Participation Trophy Generation".  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Too many people these days unable to handle conflict and adversity in a rational manner.  I call it the "Participation Trophy Generation".  

#okboomer

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

#okboomer

Not quite … Gen X.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not quite … Gen X.

Still kind of a classic Boomer take, though, lol.

Just another one of a zillion other reasons I have no interest in visiting Philly any time in the near future

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

Just another one of a zillion other reasons I have no interest in visiting Philly any time in the near future

I'd advise not visiting any major metropolitan area in that case.

27 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Still kind of a classic Boomer take, though, lol.

Do you not see how much violence has escalated in recent years?  That’s just an accurate assessment … not a "take” by any particular age group.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Do you not see how much violence has escalated in recent years?  That’s just an accurate assessment … not a "take” by any particular age group.  

The take would be that this particular shooting is somehow the result of a generational phenomenon related to "participation trophies." Those are your feelings with zero facts to support it. Here's a fact for you: Violent crime rates have fallen dramatically in the last 30-40 years.

• Like 1

Philadelphia today is a much scarier place than Philadelphia 1991 or 1981.  Not even close.

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The take would be that this particular shooting is somehow the result of a generational phenomenon related to "participation trophies." Those are your feelings with zero facts to support it. Here's a fact for you: Violent crime rates have fallen dramatically in the last 30-40 years.

I find that last statement extremely hard to believe.  

Don't take my word for it:

Trump Wrong on Crime Record - FactCheck.org

• Like 1

Can’t wait to see the ‘21 numbers

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Can’t wait to see the ‘21 numbers

I mean, it's definitely increased relative to 2020, but those are unique circumstances. Either way, an occasional uptick doesn't negate a long-term trend.

I mean, it's definitely increased relative to 2020, but those are unique circumstances. Either way, an occasional uptick doesn't negate a long-term trend.

Agreed. But those "certain circumstances” are liberal prosecutors. 

15 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Agreed. But those "certain circumstances” are liberal prosecutors. 

The unique circumstances in 2020 were lockdowns (which would naturally tend to reduce crime), and then in 2021, you everyone flooding back out onto the streets, in addition to the the economic strains brought on by the pandemic that inevitably make people more desperate and willing to commit crime. If you're going to make the claim that there is a direct relationship between increased crime and the election/appointment of liberal DAs, then you're going to have to show the work. I don't know of any studies that have been conducted to this end, but it would be an interesting one. There were certainly many cities with so-called "liberal prosecutors" at the helm in major U.S. cities during the 90s and 2000s when crime rates were dropping dramatically, as the graph shows, so I'm not sure the calculation is as simple as you make it seem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Wow, I never would have guessed.  Thanks for straightening my tie on this one.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The unique circumstances in 2020 were lockdowns (which would naturally tend to reduce crime), and then in 2021, you everyone flooding back out onto the streets, in addition to the the economic strains brought on by the pandemic that inevitably make people more desperate and willing to commit crime. If you're going to make the claim that there is a direct relationship between increased crime and the election/appointment of liberal DA's, then you're going to have to show the work. I don't know of any studies that have been conducted to this end, but it would be an interesting one. There were certainly many cities with so-called "liberal prosecutors" at the helm in major U.S. cities during the 90s and 2000s when crime rates were dropping dramatically, as the graph shows, so I'm not sure the calculation is as simple as you make it seem.

Guess I’m going strictly of what I see with Krasner. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Guess I’m going strictly of what I see with Krasner. 

Totally fair to question what Krasner is doing with his, how should we say, "alternative" approach. But I digress. Didn't mean to turn the thread political, at least not entierly. Carry on, EMB :whistle:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

Wow, I never would have guessed.  Thanks for straightening my tie on this one.  

You're by no means alone in your belief, there is extensive research that in the US (and UK) people have a hugely inflated idea of the level of violent crime (and child molestation)  in their country compared to the actual recorded figures.

7 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You're by no means alone in your belief, there is extensive research that in the US (and UK) people have a hugely inflated idea of the level of violent crime (and child molestation)  in their country compared to the actual recorded figures.

I was basing my belief solely on what I see on the news.  It seemed (to me, at least) that we're hearing more and more stories of mass shootings and stories of this nature than we ever used to.  I was surprised to see the statistics support the opposite.  

He should have worn Antifa or BLM get-up. Would have been released immediately.