7 Philadelphia Eagles with the most to lose during training camp

time2rock

7 Philadelphia Eagles with the most to lose during training camp 

jason-kelce-believes-in-andre-dillard.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

July 21, 2021 4:46 am ET

The Philadelphia Eagles will report for their first training camp under rookie head coach Nick Sirianni in seven days and as guys jockey for position, several veterans sit on the roster bubble.

Whether it be a battle at left tackle, wide receiver, or backup guard, there are several looming battles to watch.

We’re taking a look at seven Eagles with the most to lose during training camp.

Matt Pryor

Matt-Pryor-Eagles-Cardinals-.jpg

October 4, 2020; Santa Clara, California, USA; Philadelphia Eagles offensive guard Matt Pryor (69) before the game against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi’s Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

With Landon Dickerson on the roster and Nate Herbig 30 pounds lighter, Pryor could be the odd man out.

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

JJ-Arcega-Whiteside.jpg

Philadelphia Eagles’ J.J. Arcega-Whiteside participates in a drill during organized team activities at the NFL football team’s training facility, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, Pool)

This is the last chance for Arcega-Whiteside, who was a second-round pick back in 2019.

In 24 total games, the receiver from Stanford has just 14 catches for 254 yards and one touchdown.

Genar Avery

Genard-Avery-lower-body.jpg

Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Genard Avery (58) waits for play to resume, during the second half at an NFL football game against the Miami Dolphins, Sunday, Dec. 1, 2019, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Acquired in 2019, the Eagles traded a fourth-round pick to Cleveland to land Avery and

Kerryon Johnson

Kerryon-Johnson-Eagles-pay-cut.jpg

Sep 22, 2019; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Detroit Lions running back Kerryon Johnson (33) runs with the ball against the Philadelphia Eagles during the second quarter at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

On paper, the former Auburn star should be a lock to make the roster, but training camp exposes a lot of weakness and in Johnson’s case. bad knees.

The former second-round pick showed promise as a rookie, but knee injuries have slowed the talented running back ever since.

John Hightower

Eagles-Ravens-First-Half-Takeaways-John-

Oct 18, 2020; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver John Hightower (82) drops pass against Baltimore Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith (22) during the first quarter at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

A 2020 fifth-round pick, Hightower was given the first opportunity to separate himself in the wide receiving corps after logging 219 snaps in a four-game stretch early in the season. Hightower finished his rookie season with just 10 catches for 167 yards on 29 targets.

Michael Jacquet

Michael-Jacquet-Grayland-Arnold-Eagles-i

Dec 6, 2020; Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA; Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Michael Jacquet (38) during the game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports

Jacquet has some talent, and he’ll need a big training camp as Zech McPhearson looks to step into the Eagles starting lineup as a rookie. If Philadelphia can land Steven Nelson, Jacquet could struggle to survive camp.

Andre Dillard

andre-dillard-eagles-rookie-minicamp-e15

Andre Dillard pick No. 21 overall 2019 NFL Draft

The Eagles 2019 first-round pick will either win the left tackle job or he could see himself in another uniform via trade. Dillard is saying all the right things and he’ll need to display increased toughness in dealing with the bullrush.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-players-most-to-lose-traininig-camp-2021/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2nQicxU2d8P6J1y1RjD0qqR-h4FovJ-4wn6s4SLRtb_vB7NOD_z79xFYw

I think the writer suffered a brain cramp while writing up the portion of that piece on Avery.  

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think the writer suffered a brain cramp while writing up the portion of that piece on Avery.  

I think Howie suffered a brain cramp when he signed him.

Honestly no idea why we threw away a 4th round pick to have someone play barely over 10% of snaps, I don't know if Howie dropped the ball or Schwartz pulled a defensive version of the Golden Tate debacle but it has been a **** move for us and Avery so far.

46 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think Howie suffered a brain cramp when he signed him.

Honestly no idea why we threw away a 4th round pick to have someone play barely over 10% of snaps, I don't know if Howie dropped the ball or Schwartz pulled a defensive version of the Golden Tate debacle but it has been a **** move for us and Avery so far.

Hated that trade just as I did the Tate trade.  Just one more example of the complete disconnect between FO and coaching staff.  

Avery was a 5th round pick who wasn't playing in Cleveland.  A 6th round pick would have been fair value for him.