time2rock

Win Now, Howie

Win Now, Howie. Anyone who thinks the Eagles are in a rebuilding season is nuts. Howie Roseman took what looked like a dire season on the verge and said, ‘Hold my Beer’.

Even with a fresh coaching staff and an (at this moment) second-year Quarterback at the helm, this season looks more like a retool/win-now situation than anything else. With the new Defensive Coordinator, Jonathan Gannon leading the charge and our newest additions on to the defense. This Eagles team looks to be ready for War.

Howie continues to impress this offseason by adding to both sides of the ball. With the newest acquisition, Steven Nelson opposite Darius Slay, Anthony Harris, and returning Rodney McLeod at Safety. The Eagles look to have one of the strongest secondaries in the NFC East.

sheeran1.thumb.PNG.15cf217713703ce3dc5c4d32fe665f8b.PNG

Say what you want. But Howie has done a hell of a job this offseason and he may not be done yet.

Key Additions

Defense:
Steven Nelson
Ryan Kerrigan
Anthony Harris
Eric Wilson

Offense:
Devonta Smith (drafted)
Landon Dickerson (drafted)
Kerryon Johnson

https://eopsports.com/win-now-howie/?fbclid=IwAR2pSr9rxofRbYcFSQlgQy0w9N_l7h8cDmKxyVUld3UGkeXaRkBHVLpLb4s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Free agent vet signings plug holes short term.  A long term winning team is built thru the draft.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like Joey Sheeran, the author of this piece really wants to touch tips with Howie....just the tips...

JUST THE TIPS GIF - SausageParty SausagePartyMovie JustTheTips - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Haha 3

On 7/28/2021 at 1:49 PM, weko said:

Free agent vet signings plug holes short term.  A long term winning team is built thru the draft.

Yes

1 minute ago, eggs said:

Yes

On that note...bad first two days of camp for Howie.  Dillard gets destroyed by the DL and Reagor reports not in excellent shape or good shape or fair shape.  He fails his conditioning test and that's why he didn't practice the first two days.  The team is calling it lower body tightness.

Howie doesn't know how to rebuild. He's not really rebuilt in his time as GM. What he does is he adds to the talent on the roster and in 2017 that worked out to the max. It isn't his way, or Lurie's way, to just rebuild and write off the year. They want to be competitive and they think they have the pieces to do that. Unfortunately it's why typically this team wins 9-10 games and doesn't get the #1 seed. Apparently that's what they were going to do was to build to being the best in the division but i think their approach hampers them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Howie doesn't know how to rebuild. He's not really rebuilt in his time as GM. What he does is he adds to the talent on the roster and in 2017 that worked out to the max. It isn't his way, or Lurie's way, to just rebuild and write off the year. They want to be competitive and they think they have the pieces to do that. Unfortunately it's why typically this team wins 9-10 games and doesn't get the #1 seed. Apparently that's what they were going to do was to build to being the best in the division but i think their approach hampers them. 

I like it. This whole tanking business sucks. Rather have cheap veterans and a shot every year.

44 minutes ago, Infam said:

I like it. This whole tanking business sucks. Rather have cheap veterans and a shot every year.

That’s the problem, they don’t have a shot every year. And it’s because they’re short-sighted and can’t see how much it would improve their long term prospects if they’d just blow it up and start over. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nipples said:

That’s the problem, they don’t have a shot every year. And it’s because they’re short-sighted and can’t see how much it would improve their long term prospects if they’d just blow it up and start over. 

Because the NFL is full of examples of tanking teams that went and won a superbowl?

I'd rather have a team culture where we always fight and try to win. That actually did work for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to "blow it up" since Howie spent the last few years kicking the can down the road as it relates to cap management and restructuring the contracts of several aging players - we are now saddled with bloated contracts that include massive dead money hits should they be cut or traded (Johnson, Brooks, Cox, Graham, Kelce).  

The current roster, as is, isn't that bad, actually.  I know that most people don't expect much from this team this year, but if Hurts excels and we don't get decimated by injuries, this team can compete for the division.

10 hours ago, Infam said:

Which in theory is fine... But they don't really have a shot every year.

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep, this same "win now" mentality has really gotten us a lot the last 3 seasons.  All Howie did was clean up some of the cap mess he created by kicking the can down the road.  Ad yet, we still have Ertz on contract for this year.  :roll:  His crap drafting and poor roster management has turned this team into a bottom 10 roster.  

It's like Howie set the building on fire and some of you want to pat him on the back because he swept the ashes up in a nice/neat pile.  Good job Howie.  Looks good.  

Howie has always sucked as a GM.  Everyone thought that before the Super Bowl.   Had he been able to maintain a competitive team afterward then my perception may have changed.  Instead he is just that blind squirrel  that had his day and found his nut.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No it is bad.  Especially for a team 4 years removed from a SB.  There are a lot of national pundits ranking the Eagles in the bottom 3rd of the league.  Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz are the last pro bowl players on the roster that was drafted by this team.  We don't have one since 2013.  The list of good promising players under the age of 25 has to be near the bottom of the league.  If Hurts can excel??!!  Big if.  The injury thing....well there is no telling.  But history is not on our side.  Especially when 3/5ths of your starting O-line is old and injury prone.  

Our OL and DL are strengths right now.  If those 2 units maintain health, they have the talent to perform well above average and will make things easier for the rest of the team...like a ripple effect.  Hurts is definitely a big "if"...but with good OL play it will increase his chances.  The secondary should be better than last year.

There are a lot of ifs, but much will really depend on Hurts and injuries.

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They are strengths only because the rest of the roster sucks.  Both lines are old.  Or injury prone.  

Ok Mr Negativity! lol.  I get it though.  The lines are strengths because of the talent that they have, and they have promising youth in Mailata, Dickerson, Herbig, Sweat, and Williams.  Their projected OL of Mailata, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks and Johnson have the talent to be top 5-10 in the NFL.  Their DL has solid talent and is deep...and we have the wildcard of how Gannon will scheme the D...could be a big year for guys like Sweat, Barnett, Hargrave and the rookie Williams.  And I'm sure Kerrigan, Cox and Graham will at least be solid.

I believe that Next years draft is key to future success. This year we will show some improvement. IF...