Eagles’ offensive players rave about Josh Sweat’s emergence on defensive line

time2rock

Eagles’ offensive players rave about Josh Sweat’s emergence on defensive line

Posted Aug 04, 6:30 AM

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

PHILADELPHIA — Josh Sweat stood in front of the Eagles’ first-team offense line on the NovaCare Complex practice field last week, and waited to attack. The ball was snapped, QB Jalen Hurts collected it in the shotgun formation for a read-option play, and before he could blink, Sweat — not the perspiration — was in his face.

Sweat has been breaking up the offense’s plays throughout the past week. The 6-foot-5, 251-pound pass rusher has been rotating with Derek Barnett as a first-team defensive end opposite Brandon Graham, competing for a starting job for the first time in his NFL career. And due to the Eagles’ new hybrid defensive scheme, the lanky, athletic EDGE rusher is also standing up to rush for the first time as a pro.

Sweat says a two-point stance helps him see the offensive backfield a bit better. That only adds to Sweat’s arsenal against the offensive line.

"The dude is an animal,” left tackle Andre Dillard said on Monday. "He’s just a freak athlete, and it’s just fun to go against him because iron sharpens iron. He’s a really good player and we make each other better. He has improved a lot since I first got here from what I’ve seen and he’s a really good player for us.”

Sweat has improved in each of his three previous seasons in Philadelphia. As a rookie, Sweat was essentially redshirted on defense, playing just 68 defensive snaps in eight games. Looking back, Sweat admits that decision was the right call by the previous staff, as he needed to get bigger and better on the defensive line.

Sweat then became a regular member of the pass-rushing rotation in 2019, posting four sacks in limited action. He became even more involved last season, as he picked up 37 tackles, six sacks and three forced fumbles as a primary backup.

Sweat, now playing for his fourth defensive line coach in as many seasons, has learned the tricks of the trade from different mentors over the years. Tracy Rocker, Sweat’s new boss, has helped him add to his toolbox.

"I took something from every single one of (defensive line coaches),” Sweat said. "Each one of them taught me something different.”

Hurts, the Eagles’ starting QB, has seen how dominant Sweat can be in a game setting. When Hurts was a freshman at Alabama, the Crimson Tide defeated Sweat and the Florida State Seminoles, 24-7. But, Sweat was still a menace during the matchup, posting three tackles and a sack on Hurts.

Hurts believes Sweat has grown his game during his time with the Eagles.

"I think he’s a pretty damn good D-end in this league,” Hurts said. "Athleticism off the charts. Even when I played against him at Florida State, when I was at Alabama … he was circled on the scouting report. The length he has, he can be disruptive, especially in the read-option game.”

Sweat entered the NFL with left tackle Jordan Mailata in 2018. The two former Day-3 picks have battled in training camp over the past four years, and like Mailata, Sweat appears to be one of the young players who is poised to break out this season.

"Sweat is a damn good defensive end,” Mailata said. "He’s going to be a threat this year.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/08/eagles-offensive-players-rave-about-josh-sweats-emergence-on-defensive-line.html?fbclid=IwAR2t3I7Zbn_JQZ5YWmKmi9hFl-hR5ngCkAH0OeRhVJCIlVdLZqtoVQb6b_4

Let's not forget... this guy was one of the highest (if not THEE highest rated) guys coming out of high school. And he very likely would have been a top talent out of college if it wasn't for the knee concerns. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 7:10 AM, time2rock said:

"The dude is an animal,” left tackle Andre Dillard said on Monday. "He’s just a freak athlete, and it’s just fun to go against him because iron sharpens iron. He’s a really good player and we make each other better.

Dillard is the iron in which Sweat uses to sharpen his iron?

Yeah Sure GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Dillard is the iron in which Sweat uses to sharpen his iron?

Yeah Sure GIFs | Tenor

I get the skepticism.  I know it seems unlikely to most he turns into a decent player (at least here in Philly) but there is still the chance (no matter how slim it may seem).  Pulling for him ONLY because I'd hate to see another wasted 1st rd pick (way too many of them during the Howie tenure).  Going back a decade:  Watkins in '11, Smith in '14, Agholor in '15 (he was serviceable but you'd hope for more than just "serviceable" from a 1st rd pick), Wentz in '16, Barnett in '17 (also "serviceable"), Dillard in '19, and jury still out on Reagor in '20.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I get the skepticism.  I know it seems unlikely to most he turns into a decent player (at least here in Philly) but there is still the chance (no matter how slim it may seem).  Pulling for him ONLY because I'd hate to see another wasted 1st rd pick (way too many of them during the Howie tenure).  Going back a decade:  Watkins in '11, Smith in '14, Agholor in '15 (he was serviceable but you'd hope for more than just "serviceable" from a 1st rd pick), Wentz in '16, Barnett in '17 (also "serviceable"), Dillard in '19, and jury still out on Reagor in '20.  

I hear ya. But it certainly seems Dillard is on the cusp of being confirmed the next bust.  And really it seems more about his mentality than it does with his athletic/physical traits.  Same was true for Watkins...he had the physical talent, but wasn't a "football player" and clearly had no desire to dedicate himself to the NFL.  Dillard, from Day 1, just seems too mentally soft for the NFL, or at least for Philly.  When I listened to his interview during OTAs, while he was saying the right things, his demeanor when saying them was more robotic than genuine.  

He's destined to be our backup LT this year unless another team suffers an injury to their LT during camp and wants to take a chance on trading for him.  I think the Eagles would trade, given the right deal (prob a 4th rounder or a player would get it done).

41 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I hear ya. But it certainly seems Dillard is on the cusp of being confirmed the next bust.  And really it seems more about his mentality than it does with his athletic/physical traits.  Same was true for Watkins...he had the physical talent, but wasn't a "football player" and clearly had no desire to dedicate himself to the NFL.  Dillard, from Day 1, just seems too mentally soft for the NFL, or at least for Philly.  When I listened to his interview during OTAs, while he was saying the right things, his demeanor when saying them was more robotic than genuine.  

He's destined to be our backup LT this year unless another team suffers an injury to their LT during camp and wants to take a chance on trading for him.  I think the Eagles would trade, given the right deal (prob a 4th rounder or a player would get it done).

Maybe that played a large part is his "falling” to the 20s.  Maybe Howie missed what many other GMs saw or suspected.  Maybe they would have been more comfortable taking him in the 2nd (or later) but thought too risky for round 1.  

Always liked Sweat, real shame about his injury concerns, but isn't it always the way round here?

He's got great potential over the next few years if he can sort his knee out.

12 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Maybe that played a large part is his "falling” to the 20s.  Maybe Howie missed what many other GMs saw or suspected.  Maybe they would have been more comfortable taking him in the 2nd (or later) but thought too risky for round 1.  

I agree with that...and if the Eagles didn't really think they had a shot at getting him perhaps their own info was somewhat limited...although that wouldn't be an excuse.  Howie actually traded up to get him <_<

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

I agree with that...and if the Eagles didn't really think they had a shot at getting him perhaps their own info was somewhat limited...although that wouldn't be an excuse.  Howie actually traded up to get him <_<

He always thinks he's outsmarting everyone else.  Meanwhile those other GMs are laughing their arses off in their war rooms, just like Minny I'm SURE was doing last year when we took Reagor.  <_<

34 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He always thinks he's outsmarting everyone else.  Meanwhile they're laughing their arses off in their war rooms, just like Minny I'm SURE was doing last year when we took Reagor.  <_<

Ugh.  If Reagor busts and Jefferson goes on to be a perennial star...:facepalm::furious: