Jalen Reagor has strong day at Eagles camp after practice lecture from Nick Sirianni

time2rock

Jalen Reagor has strong day at Eagles camp after practice lecture from Nick Sirianni

Reagor showcased the first-round talent the Eagles saw when they drafted him

Jeff Kerr

By Jeff Kerr

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:36 pm ET2 min read

jalen-reagor.jpg

Getty Images

Jalen Reagor wasn't getting off to the start in training camp neither he nor the Philadelphia Eagles wanted. Wednesday's practice was off to a rough start for the 2020 first-round pick, who was receiving some harsh criticism from head coach Nick Sirianni early in the 11-on-11 session, a moment meant to be a teaching lesson for the young wideout. 

Sirianni was animated about the mistake Reagor made, wanting the best for the Eagles top receiver with DeVonta Smith on the sidelines. Reagor responded with his best day of camp. 

Reagor had the catch of Eagles practice, a one-handed grab in red-zone drills from Nick Mullens with Darius Slay defending him. He also had a long catch from Joe Flacco on the sideline that impressed Sirianni. The tough love from the Eagles head coach worked. 

"If you're helping a guy become better, that's all that these players really want is how do we -- can this guy make me better and when that is the case, I think you can coach them as hard as you want to," Sirianni said prior to the start of Eagles practice Thursday. "Now my philosophy is that, hey, I want it to be harder out here on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, than it is going to be on Sunday. And that's kind of something I learned from my old head coach, [Former University of Mount Union head coach] Larry Kehres. He would yell and scream at us all week and then Saturday during the games, we didn't get yelled at unless we did something really messed up. That's my philosophy as far as that goes."

kerr.JPG.b8d130042958693029504e902b61b7fe.JPG

Reagor doesn't mind the harsh criticism from his head coach, especially since he knows the Eagles need him to emerge as a reliable target for Jalen Hurts this year. All eyes will be on Reagor over the next few weeks, with Sirianni keeping a watchful eye.

"It's again where I'm glad to have my background in teaching, right, and education. It's just not done that way," Sirianni said. "The only thing that's important is that the coaching point goes through, and that the player gets better from it.

"And so every player is handled differently and that's why it always starts with a connection. And like, because you've got to know the player that you're coaching to be able to reach him. So that's why I think that's so important."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jalen-reagor-has-strong-day-at-eagles-camp-after-practice-lecture-from-nick-sirianni/

I really hope Reagor can find some consistency this year and then just contribute! There's a player there if he can put last year behind him and look to be a good contributor for this team.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really hope Reagor can find some consistency this year and then just contribute! There's a player there if he can put last year behind him and look to be a good contributor for this team.

This is the only report I’ve seen on him that is even slightly positive.  Every other report has mentioned he looks terrible.  Even the open practice reports said he looked bad.  Still too early to label him but I have little confidence in him:  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is the only report I’ve seen on him that is even slightly positive.  Every other report has mentioned he looks terrible.  Even the open practice reports said he looked bad.  Still too early to label him but I have little confidence in him:  

I think at this point if he looks like a decent #3 WR that would be pretty good. Of course we want more and for a first round pick he should offer more but what we've seen and read so far I don't see it.