Why Eagles’ Boston Scott wants to ‘pay it forward’ as leader on young roster

time2rock

Why Eagles’ Boston Scott wants to ‘pay it forward’ as leader on young roster

Posted Aug 09, 2021

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

PHILADELPHIA — Boston Scott knows what it’s like to be on the roster bubble. Scott was cut following the conclusion of his first two NFL training camps

Scott needed to bide his time on the practice squads in New Orleans and Philadelphia before he found his way in the league. He also needed a leader to step up and guide him through adversity.

With the Eagles, that leader was running back Darren Sproles.

"Darren Sproles took me under his wing [and] motivated me,” Scott said Saturday. "That really helped me out throughout times when I was on the practice squad and battling mentally, so I just want to pay it forward and be my best for someone else who might need it.”

Scott, now an established veteran, is taking on a leadership role within a revamped locker room.

Head coach Nick Sirianni has seen Scott step up in both the meeting rooms and on the field. The former practice squad player has become an assertive mentor for his younger teammates.

"Boston, I think, is a great leader and really good for the running back room,” Sirianni said last week. "I think he’s highly respected amongst his teammates. Love that he knows what to do at all times.”

Scott has had a whirlwind three years in the NFL.

Initially selected in the sixth round of the 2018 NFL Draft by the Saints, he failed to earn a spot on their 53-man roster and spent the majority of his rookie season on the practice roster. Scott was signed by the Eagles towards the end of his rookie year. He appeared in just two games, while returning kickoffs.

During his first full year in Philadelphia, Scott, again, was stashed on the practice squad. He was eventually called up to the main roster after Sproles suffered a career-ending injury. Scott would go on to score two touchdowns in two wins over the Giants that season.

Last year, Scott became a fixture within the offense, supplementing the big-play ability of Miles Sanders, and filling in for him when necessary.

Following the departure of former head coach Doug Pederson in January, it was fair to wonder if Scott would be pushed aside with Sirianni running the offense. Despite the additions of Kerryon Johnson and fifth-round pick Kenny Gainwell, Scott seems to have firm footing on the roster this summer.

"He shows ability in the backfield, in the run game, and in the pass game, whether that’s protecting or splitting out wide,” Sirianni said. "Guys that are multiple with what they can do and not just a one-trick pony to say, they’re hard to defend. So I’m glad we have Boston because he seems like he can do a lot.”

Scott frequently says that he enters every game like it’s his last. Given the way he is viewed internally by his teammates and coaches, it seems like Scott’s career has just started to hit its stride.

"Having the opportunity to contribute to this team, be a part of this organization, has been a blessing. It’s definitely been a blessing,” Scott said. "I’m just enjoying it as much as I can, and I just want to contribute [and] be a good teammate.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/08/why-eagles-boston-scott-wants-to-pay-it-forward-as-leader-with-young-roster.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZEb-lTDzMY325vYMHhVIk8FjnAkAUbnXySz3mXu-FyTqiWWqjdNoIt8U