Draft Wrap

Procus

http://igglesblitz.com/2020/04/draft-wrap-5/

Draft Wrap

Posted: April 26th, 2020 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 516 Comments

It is over. The 2020 draft is in the books. Let’s take a look at the overall class the Eagles landed over the past three days.

This won’t be an in-depth report. We’ve got all spring for that. These are quick, initial thoughts.

1 – WR Jalen Reagor – 5-11, 201 – TCU

Explosive receiver. Isn’t tall, but has a 42-inch vertical and you see that when he plays. Reagor goes up high and attacks the ball. Physical, aggressive player. Ran 4.47 at the Combine, but looks faster than that on tape. Eagles wanted him for his speed and ability to make plays "above the rim”. Most speedy WRs aren’t playing the ball up high. Good RAC ability. Productive returner. Reminds me a bit of Steve Smith.

2 – QB Jalen Hurts – 6-1, 222 – Oklahoma

Former Alabama QB transferred to Oklahoma in 2019 and had an outstanding season. Dynamic runner. Made strides as a passer in 2019. Better on intermediate and downfield throws. Puts good touch on his passes. Throws well on the run. Outstanding leader and high character person. Needs to develop as a passer, but has good tools. Eagles drafted him to be the backup QB, but will explore different ways to get him on the field.

3 – LB Davion Taylor – 6-0, 228 – Colorado

Two-year starter for the Buffaloes. Can absolutely fly. Timed 4.49 at the Combine. Reportedly ran 4.39 at his Pro Day. That speed shows up on tape. Flies all over the field. Great range. Not just fast. Taylor is a physical player. CU used him out in space a lot. He projects as a WLB. I think Taylor will play on defense this year, but will need time to develop into a starter. Could be outstanding STer.

4 – S K’Von Wallace – 5-11, 206 – Clemson

The Eagles picked a talented, versatile, athletic DB. Wallace played in the slot a lot at Clemson. I think he projects to Malcolm Jenkins role as the safety who plays around the line of scrimmage most of the time. Wallace is talented enough to drop back and play the deep middle. He only has okay speed (4.53), but is a terrific athlete overall. Good tackler. Solid hitter. Good blitzer. Not likely to start as a rookie, but will carve out a role on defense and STs.

4 – OT Jack Driscoll – 6-5, 306 – Auburn

Started at UMass and then transferred to Auburn for his final two years. Started at RT. Better run blocker than pass protector, but he gets the job done. Speed rushers are tough on him. Driscoll could slide inside to OG. In an interview he mentioned also training to play center. Has the kind of physicality, toughness and experience that the Eagles like in their OL. Has starting potential.

5 – WR John Hightower – 6-1, 189 – Boise State

Two-year player for the Broncos, averaging 17.6 yards per reception. Hauled in 14 TDs. Averaged 13 yards per rushing attempt and ran back one kickoff for a TD. Speedy playmaker. Get the ball in his hands and good things happen. Very good on corner routes and deep over routes. The Eagles love those so Hightower makes sense from that perspective. Ran 4.43. Had a 38.5-inch vertical. Not just fast. Instinctive when he’s got the ball in his hands. That makes him a threat short and long. Slid down the draft board due to sheer amount of receivers. Most years Hightower is a 4th round pick.

6 – LB Shaun Bradley  – 6-1, 235 – Temple

Not my favorite pick. Bradley was a three-year starter for the Owls and produced at a high level. Ran 4.51 at the Combine. My issue is that he missed too many tackles. I don’t mean shifty WRs out in space. Bradley missed tackles in confined areas. He’s not compelling in any way, except for his speed. I don’t see great instincts, closing speed or playmaking ability. I hope I’m dead wrong and Bradley turns out to be a good player for the Eagles. He was good value at this point in the draft and the Eagles did their homework on him.

6 – WR Quez Watkins – 6-0, 185 – Southern Miss

Another pick, why not another speedy receiver? Had a great year, going 64-1178-18.4-6. Then he ran 4.35 at the Combine. The speed absolutely shows up in games. You see Watkins pull away from defenders when he’s got the ball and is on the run. Did return one punt for a TD. Watkins will have to push for a roster spot, but he’s got the speed to play in the NFL.

6 – OT Prince Tega Wanogho – 6-5, 308 – Auburn

I had Wahogho rated as a second round pick. He had a knee issue that kept him out of the Senior Bowl and dropped him down draft boards. Wanogho started 32 games at LT for the Tigers. He is a physical run blocker and athletic pass blocker. If his knee checks out, he has a chance to be a starting LT in the NFL. Tough enough he could slide inside if needed. The Eagles felt his talent was worth the medical risk.

7 – LB Casey Toohill – 6-4, 250 – Stanford

Played DE and LB for the Cardinal. I like him as a 4-3 SAM, but it sounds like the Eagles will use him at DE. Really good athlete. Ran 4.62 and had a 39-inch vertical at the Combine, part of a great workout. Excellent motor. Will need to get stronger so he can hold the POA on run plays. Setting the edge is a key part of the Wide-9. Toohill will be a situational rusher for now. Can also play on STs.

The Eagles also traded for veteran WR Marquise Goodwin, one of the fastest players in the league. If he stays healthy and plays well, this is a great move. If he gets hurt or struggles, cut him and move on. Low risk move.

Source: Eagles and Marquise Goodwin agreed to terms on a one-year 1.35 million dollar deal plus one million in upside.

It’s been a long day so I’ll hold on writing about these guys for now.

I am excited about Arnold. Played CB at Baylor, but ran slow at the Combine. He could be right at home at safety. Arnold picked off 6 passes this year and has terrific hands. He’s also a punt returner, another sign that he’s got good hands and ball skills.

The Eagles wanted to get younger and faster. Check and check.

They drafted 10 players and signed 12 UDFAs. Lots of gifted athletes. The veteran they traded for runs a 4.27. That is speed.

Here is a good way of seeing just how athletic the Eagles rookies are.

Taking a look at the #RAS of the #Eagles 2020 draft class.

Their class averaged a RAS of 8.37.

They had 6 players score in elite range, over 8.00.
They had 0 players score below 5.00.
The rest fell inbetween.

View image on Twitter

Final Top 5 Draft Classes by Average Athleticism Score

1. #Eagles 84
2. #Redskins 84
3. #Jets 81
4. #Steelers 81
5. #Patriots 81

These teams prioritized athleticism throughout the 2020 #NFLDraft

We have to see how these guys perform, but I sure like the overall theme of getting faster and more athletic.

I think Howie Roseman and Doug Pederson saw a team that was too old and too slow last year. That had to change. The Eagles didn’t make a ton of free agency moves because they wanted to focus on the draft and adding as much young speed as possible.

_

• Like 1

This draft gives the coaches a LOT to work with........I'm still disappointed and baffled by the 2nd round pick of Hurts, but the eagles got a ton of potential in these picks.

Plus they still have $27 million in cap space, and a lot of veterans are going to be released in the coming weeks.

Once again it shows that the media and fans prioritize and rate players much different than the pros do.

It's going to be interesting to see the impact this draft class has on this team's overall performance.  They obviously had holes everywhere on the roster to address, but this is an offense-driven league and our offense last year stunk too frequently.  They basically added Reagor and some late round picks at WR along with a developmental QB and dedicated a few picks to OL depth.  You have to wonder if perhaps the philosophy shouldn't have been to build the offense more around Wentz similar to what Denver did.  The first 4 players added there all have potential to be major contributors there in year one.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

You have to wonder if perhaps if the philosophy shouldn't have been to build the offense more around Wentz similar to what Denver did.

I find it really strange that this organisation has given Wentz the contract he has but has not surrounded him with weapons. When you look at how the league has been I find it really odd.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I find it really strange that this organisation has given Wentz the contract he has but has not surrounded him with weapons. When you look at how the league has been I find it really odd.

They draft a bunch of weapons and you're surprised the team didn't surround him with weapons?  They did.  The starting WR corp and battering ram RB all went out with season ending injuries in 2019.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It’s as though they expect him to keep putting the team on his shoulders and carrying them to the finish line.  

1 minute ago, Procus said:

They draft a bunch of weapons and you're surprised the team didn't surround him with weapons?  They did.  The starting WR corp and battering ram RB all went out with season ending injuries in 2019.

You're trying to tell me 2 late round picks and a proven player who can't stay healthy is surrounding him with weapons? 

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It’s as though they expect him to keep putting the team on his shoulders and carrying them to the finish line.  

They have a history of it. Look back at the McNabb era.

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

They have a history of it. Look back at the McNabb era.

:sad:

Howie gives Wentz 100 million than instead of helping him he undermines him. Btw the phrase "QB factory" is the new joke of the NFL. 

Completely disagree with the criticism of the Hurts pick for a couple of reasons. 

1. Banner and Andy established the philosophy that QB, OT, DE, CB, and Wr were priorities. Lately this has morphed to include DT.  2017 proved that the next priority is definitely backup QB. 

2. Do we think Sudfeld will b a Nick Foles backup - probably not.

3. Look at the players drafted in the 2nd round after Hurts. None of them except Fulton or Chinn might have been immediate help. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You're trying to tell me 2 late round picks and a proven player who can't stay healthy is surrounding him with weapons? 

So Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, Jackson, Reagor aren’t enough weapons? Granted Reagor is yet tbd, but I see an excellent pass catching young rb, an elite top 3 tight end, another elite tight end with potential to be even better, a proven deep threat that has been the best at this job in the league during his career imo and finally a lighting fast rookie who looks to have bags of potential.

Im not saying he has the best receiving options in the league, but we are hardly devoid of weapons. That’s not even mentioning a very stout offensive line.